The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Default Tip Of The Cap To Bob Colosi

Wanted to give a shout-out to Bob Colosi. Just installed the new Colosi custom bone saddle for my Voyage-Air VAD-04 which I'd ordered this week. Definite upgrade in terms of both sound and looks!

I've ordered a half dozen or so custom saddles from Bob over the years. It's always been a pleasure talking with him, and the quality of his saddles has been consistently top notch.

Thank you Bob!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I've lost track of how many bone bridge pins with various inlays I've ordered from Bob over the last few years. Quality guy with quality products.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bob is the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

I've been dealing with Bob for almost twenty years. Geez Bob, could that be?
He's kinda like an old friend you can always count on.
Yeah, he's a good guy.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 07-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

He's an artist, all right, as evidenced by the fact that no one tries to compete with him on any big scale. If you look at everyone making expensive picks, it's hard to believe only one guy takes on the custom saddle and bridge pins business. Hats off.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 PM

I need a saddle for my Larrivee. I think it's plastic. The B string is starting to dig a groove in the thin compensated area.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 07-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
I need a saddle for my Larrivee. I think it's plastic. The B string is starting to dig a groove in the thin compensated area.
It's bone but who knows what quality. As a rule I replace all my saddles with saddles from Bob because 1) you can custom fit them with a little sanding to fit perfectly and I like them on the snug side 2) you know you are getting primo quality bone.
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50
Old 07-23-2017, 11:22 PM

Ordered my first product from him this past week. A new bone saddle for my gibson dove to replace the tusq one and an element p/u. It arrived quickly. Have not had the chance to inatall it yet.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 07-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

I don't remember how many saddles I have purchased from Bob Colosi over the years... maybe 8? or 10? He is always great to deal with!

Speaking of the VAD-04 saddle, I remember asking Bob to make me a bone saddle for my VAOM-06. At the time he had never made a saddle for a Voyage-Air guitar, so I sent him the saddle from mine to use as a model. Within days I had the original back plus a nice bone version. To me, that bone version was a huge improvement in sound.

Bob also made me a bone saddle for my Olson, quite a few Taylors... I've also tried other materials from Bob, but for my tastes I've learned that I really like Bob's bone saddles.

I can't recommend him highly enough!

- Glenn
Old 07-24-2017, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

I'd love to order saddles and pin sets, but every time I contact him he brushes me off. I've got 5-6 nice guitars I'd like to have Colosi saddles and matching string nuts and pins, he can't seem to be bothered. I've tried for years. I have one nice old Tacoma that came with all bone parts done with his work and it's lovely.

So now I just order from McNichol, who gives EXCELLENT customer service, or Amazon, and fit and polish them up to a nice gloss myself, and it all works fine for less money. I have a feeling he can't be bothered to sell to the ladies. Oh well. Now I can make my own perfectly compensated saddles even from blanks if I need to.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKT View Post
I'd love to order saddles and pin sets, but every time I contact him he brushes me off. I've got 5-6 nice guitars I'd like to have Colosi saddles and matching string nuts and pins, he can't seem to be bothered. I've tried for years. I have one nice old Tacoma that came with all bone parts done with his work and it's lovely.

So now I just order from McNichol, who gives EXCELLENT customer service, or Amazon, and fit and polish them up to a nice gloss myself, and it all works fine for less money. I have a feeling he can't be bothered to sell to the ladies. Oh well. Now I can make my own perfectly compensated saddles even from blanks if I need to.
I'm sorry but that sounds like baloney
I've dealt with him for the past 6 or 7 yrs and have emailed him numerous times to discuss particulars. He always has responded same day, usually within an hour or so.
He is extremely reachable, responsive, friendly and courteous.
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50

Last edited by dragon1952; 07-24-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:13 AM

Once I experienced Bob's Saddles on a SCGC F Ziricote/German, I changed all the saddles on my Remuda to Colosi .
I have used various materials from Bob but like the "Antique" Bone the best.
He even sent a saddle to SCGC to be fitted to the 1934 custom I had being built.
His customer service is as good as it gets and he took a personal interest in
how I wanted all my guitars to sound.
One of the very good guys.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 07-24-2017, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1952 View Post
I'm sorry but that sounds like baloney
Agreed. He is a very responsive guy. Maybe a bad email address?

Some guitars
Old 07-24-2017, 07:44 AM

Default Huh?! :confused:

Quote:

Sorry, but I'm also going to have to call you on this. I've bought lot's of stuff from Bob and it's always been excellent quality and workmanship and Bob's a great guy to deal with.

There are some products that he can't ship out of GA but he's always been good about responding to calls and eMails.

Having said that, some relationships just don't work. If you're happy with McNichol, I'm glad for you.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:

This is so far off from my experience in dealing with Bob Colosi that it is incomprehensible to me. You're actually suggesting that Bob has refused to accept your orders on multiple occasions over the course of several years? On what basis did he refuse your orders? I suspect there's some subtext here that's not been revealed.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion