The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 11:27 AM

Default Acoustic Guitar Best for Live Performance

I was going to start another, "How much would your guitar pay for an owner like you?" but had a serious question at hand.

There are acoustic guitars that say they are built best for live performance or studio recording. I guess these guitars hold their own and don't get lost in the mix and have a short sustain. But it begs the question, "Wouldn't electric guitars get the job done?" Why try to make an acoustic guitar that woukd perform or be heard clearly for live? Is it not going to get mic'd up or have a pickup in it thus rendering its sound like an electric guitar? Is there really an advantage (s) to an acoustic guitar that touts that it performs great live or on stage?
Old 07-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

There is a significant difference between an amplified acoustic guitar and an electric going through an amp. The pickups and construction of the guitars account for mush of that.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:26 PM

Some acoustic guitars are marketed to be particularly well suited to be played on stage. Some of those guitars would not sound all that great in your living room. Sometimes, an electric guitar is the right instrument for the song and sometimes an acoustic is the one. Just like in carpentry - use the right tool for the job.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
I was going to start another, "How much would your guitar pay for an owner like you?" but had a serious question at hand.

There are acoustic guitars that say they are built best for live performance or studio recording. I guess these guitars hold their own and don't get lost in the mix and have a short sustain. But it begs the question, "Wouldn't electric guitars get the job done?" Why try to make an acoustic guitar that woukd perform or be heard clearly for live? Is it not going to get mic'd up or have a pickup in it thus rendering its sound like an electric guitar? Is there really an advantage (s) to an acoustic guitar that touts that it performs great live or on stage?
Adrian Legg seems to agree. He mostly plays electrics on stage now, partly based on the fact amplified acoustics need some processing to sound good (compression, a bit of reverb), so why bother.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:45 PM

My preference is nylon, plugged, as a soloist. The metallic ring of steel strings grates on me these days and ever more so when people amplify them with Piezo-based systems. I'd rather not hear that din at all. The online toobs of Stephen Stills' Martins are an example of that. Nylon carries the tone without the metallic ring and even with a Piezo-based system it's a greatly improved sound over steel strings. Of course, I'm my own worst enema when it comes to the sound of a guitar. The audience probably couldn't be less moved by my preferences.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:49 PM

I will just come out and say it. If I am performing live 89.9% of the time hooked up to a PA but not getting the acoustic sound, then I might as well just get an electric guitar after dumping my current one. Because I cannot hear the difference between my acoustic electric and an electric guitar. Even the audience is with me. Is this a failure on the part of the sound engineer plus poor PA system? Probably. My electric guitarist plays a nice Gibson LP. Is my point getting across? I went acoustic electric cus I wanted that warm cuddly fuzzy acoustic sound to be heard thru the PA. That clearly isn't happening. I have a youtube video of my guitar amplified. If you would like to hear it, then PM me and you be the judge. Then again, I am playing thru an acoustic guitar amp (whatever that is!).

And for the 9.9% times that I do play unplugged, then I will just play some affordable acoustic guitar.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
My preference is nylon, plugged, as a soloist. The metallic ring of steel strings grates on me these days and ever more so when people amplify them with Piezo-based systems. I'd rather not hear that din at all. The online toobs of Stephen Stills' Martins are an example of that. Nylon carries the tone without the metallic ring and even with a Piezo-based system it's a greatly improved sound over steel strings. Of course, I'm my own worst enema when it comes to the sound of a guitar. The audience probably couldn't be less moved by my preferences.
Oh~ nylon sounds beautiful on classical guitars. Drool.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I've been playing since 1968, and I've never had as much fun playing since I discovered amplifying an acoustic. I have several excellent nylon string guitars, and have a difficult time finding an acceptable sound w/o feedback. On the other hand, feel I have total control over steel string tones. So what's your secret to good nylon amplified tone? Most of my nylon's have LR Baggs or KK Mini pickup systems.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

IMO, when a guitar is marketed for amplified performance, I think they are using the pickup and marketing that sound without as much regard for acoustic qualities.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-22-2017, 02:18 PM

Default plugged

I haven't played an acoustic/electric so cannot answer to that. The gist of what I have read concerning them unplugged is folks don't much care for (most of) them unless they are electrified.

A regular acoustic, miked or plugged in, is not likely to get confused with an electric, not that there are borders which can be blurred. They sound altogether different to me. If you want the very best "acoustic" sound when amplified, use a mike. But there are plenty of quality pickups that will also do them justice.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
I will just come out and say it. If I am performing live 89.9% of the time hooked up to a PA but not getting the acoustic sound, then I might as well just get an electric guitar after dumping my current one. Because I cannot hear the difference between my acoustic electric and an electric guitar. Even the audience is with me. Is this a failure on the part of the sound engineer plus poor PA system? Probably. My electric guitarist plays a nice Gibson LP. Is my point getting across? I went acoustic electric cus I wanted that warm cuddly fuzzy acoustic sound to be heard thru the PA. That clearly isn't happening. I have a youtube video of my guitar amplified. If you would like to hear it, then PM me and you be the judge. Then again, I am playing thru an acoustic guitar amp (whatever that is!).

And for the 9.9% times that I do play unplugged, then I will just play some affordable acoustic guitar.
I could not disagree more and will leave it to you to figure out what you're doing wrong, tis a rabbit hole I'm not going down, and I don't believe most of what you're saying is serious.

Post that Youtube your can link it here, more than happy to apologize if I should........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-22-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
... Of course, I'm my own worst enema when it comes to the sound of a guitar. ...
You're your own worst ... what?
Old 07-22-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I could not disagree more and will leave it to you to figure out what you're doing wrong, tis a rabbit hole I'm not going down, and I don't believe most of what you're saying is serious.

Post that Youtube your can link it here, more than happy to apologize if I should........
As you wish.
Guitar: Taylor 614CE
Amplifier: Ultrasound DS4
https://youtu.be/IBD2cgMZs1g

Also, what are you disagreeing with?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:43 PM

Live guitars.. hmmm...

As someone that's been playing a Tak for several years as my gigging guitar I can't disagree that there are live players and quality acoustics. They can of course over lap some, but... I have a custom made guitar that eats the Tak acoustically. It has a K&K in it, so can plug in, but for most gigs the Tak wins.

I recently went for a new Maton, traded the Tak and got the Nashville 808c. Acoustically a little softer than the Tak, smaller body, not as much projection but still pretty decent. Plugged in..wow.. the AP5Pro is brilliant and adds over and above what the Tak did. The mic/ pickup blend is fantastic.

Never been a big Maton fan and was rather conservative in the..guitars should be 'natural' this one is I guess a Tobacco burst, so gasp... I've lost it or sumfin... shrug it's a progression, what works...

As always it is horses for courses or guitars maybe.

Kris
Old 07-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Perhaps a tad too much reverb in your amp?

Heck I don't know... I get a pretty good acoustic sound live.... with k&k as well as Baggs soundhole.

If you are playing Moon River at home, don't plug in?

If you are playing Moon River out, maybe don't play Moon River!

Kidding aside... listen to GlenWillow in show and tell. He has great finger style technique as do you. He is a great guy to give you advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion