The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-08-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Definition of BRONZE... (vs. BRASS on strings)

There's plenty of confusion out there, it seems.

Most manufacturer's refer to their wound acoustic strings as "bronze", whether they be 80/20 or Phosphor Bronze (92/8).

Now, by definition bronze is the alloy of copper and tin. But makers like Dean Markley list their alloys as copper and zinc, which makes them BRASS, not bronze (technically).

Do any manufacturers use true bronze, or is that simply a "figure of speech"?

I know that true bronze vs. brass has superior acoustic qualities and durability and looks prettier. One needs only consider expensive cymbals vs. the new budget series made of brass. You can tell by sound and by color.

If you happen to know actual facts/stats about different string makers, that'd be ideal!

Last edited by Gone_Acoustic; 10-11-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: clarify topic
Old 10-08-2007, 03:59 PM

Our string guru Freeman will be chiming in in 3, 2, 1.....

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 10-10-2007, 12:49 PM

I thought guitar players LOVED comparing strings
Old 10-11-2007, 10:30 AM

Hm, it's starting to smell like a conspiracy there ...

"The evil attempt to use the term 'bronze' while dumping brass strings on unsuspecting twanger public who will discuss all the minute details of their strings, even alloy proportion, but not actual components"

Old 10-11-2007, 02:20 PM

I don´t know if this is going to help but there´s this interesting article:
http://www.acousticguitar.com/articl...articleid=7431

noisetree
Sadowsky bass
Zon 6 string fretless bass
Conklin 7 string bass
Alembic bass
(all lefty)
Old 10-11-2007, 03:03 PM

Thanks! Very interesting.

Of course, reader should note that the article is sponsored by D'Addario

I still can't resolve how the article first says that Phosphor Bronze is "brighter and bell-like", then says that 80/20 are brighter than PB. ???

I think every manufacturer will say their strings are "bright", "punchy", "crisp", "brilliant" etc.

So the article, while helpful, still leaves one where he started - having many strings to sample Oh well, at least now we know a bit more about some of the strings.

again, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisetree View Post
I don´t know if this is going to help but there´s this interesting article:
http://www.acousticguitar.com/articl...articleid=7431

noisetree
Old 10-11-2007, 03:36 PM

In terms of tone, I think most players who try both "80/20" and "Phosphor Bronze (92/8)" strings would say that the 80/20 strings are usually brighter, and not quite as rich sounding as PB strings -- this is for most string manufacturers on most guitars. You can probably find a few exceptions.

Until about 5-6 years ago, I always bought 80/20 strings. Then, I tried of set of PB strings, and haven't looked back since.

My current string preference is Dean Markley Alchemy "GoldPhos" Phospher Bronze custom-light guage (12-54) strings -- very copper looking and very rich in tone. And because they are coated/treated strings, they last a good while (I clean my hands before playing, and wipe down the strings after playing).

2006 Martin 0000-28H
2001 Taylor Baby-R
-------------------------
Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Are those GoldPhos the ones with gold-plated plains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMHaynes View Post
In terms of tone, I think most players who try both "80/20" and "Phosphor Bronze (92/8)" strings would say that the 80/20 strings are usually brighter, and not quite as rich sounding as PB strings -- this is for most string manufacturers on most guitars. You can probably find a few exceptions.

Until about 5-6 years ago, I always bought 80/20 strings. Then, I tried of set of PB strings, and haven't looked back since.

My current string preference is Dean Markley Alchemy "GoldPhos" Phospher Bronze custom-light guage (12-54) strings -- very copper looking and very rich in tone. And because they are coated/treated strings, they last a good while (I clean my hands before playing, and wipe down the strings after playing).
Old 10-12-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMHaynes View Post

absolutely. i have never known this to be not true....

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion