The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Eastman E10 OM

I never did quite bond with my Gibson J-45 Standard. Sounded just OK to me, and the construction was pretty sloppy. So, I sold it. I still wanted a mahogany bodied guitar, though, and my search ended with this Eastman E10 OM. The construction on this one is flawless, and the finish is superb. Yeah, the sides and back are sapele, but it is simply gorgeous. I'm not sure if all the OM's are finished like mine, but it seems a bit darker than most Eastman's, with a bit of a red tint to it. The adi top has the tightest grain I've seen in awhile for a recent adi guitar. The sound? Well, it sparkles. Lots and lots of sustain, and very well-balanced. I thought it sounded fine in the showroom, but at home, it's sounding even better. I'm still debating whether to put a pick guard on it. Looks awfully good without it. FWIW, this OM was way less than half the price of the J-45, and to me, sounds 2x better. Sorry for the quality of the pics. I used me cell phone and there are a lot of reflections from the window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front_2735.jpg (45.8 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg Back_2739.jpg (67.9 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg Side_2737.jpg (64.6 KB, 385 views)
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 07-23-2017, 05:55 PM

Congrats and welcome to "Club Eastman!"
Very nice guitar.

Your testimonial only serves to reinforce what a lot of us know...Eastman builds a great guitar. I think you are very fortunate in that today's Eastman is as good a build as anybody.
I think Eastman has reached the point where not only is their quality and attention to detail excellent, their knowledge of tone has caught up as well. They are not "like" this brand or that brand, they are Eastman, period.
As far as the pickguard goes, here's my gorgeous looking and sounding E6 OM Limited for reference. I'll put it up against anything in the non-custom world of guitars out there today.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-23-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Very nice guitar. Congratulations.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

HNGD! I've been playing a 2011 E10OM for over a year now and love it. I still want a J-45 though....
Old 07-23-2017, 06:27 PM

Congratulations on a beautiful guitar.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:01 PM

Congrats on a beautiful OM. The Adirondack that Eastman uses are really lively and the tops pack punch after they open up. Enjoy that guitar, looks like a keeper.

Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congrats! Great looking guitar. Your description of its sound is exactly what you want from a really good OM. And for what it's worth, I like it without the pickguard
Old 07-24-2017, 10:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Congrats! The best guitar is the one that makes you want to play it every day.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-25-2017, 12:46 AM

Default E10OM & E10D Are Both Wonderful Instruments

I am fortunate enough to own both. I was in Dusty Strings, Seattle's premier acoustic instrument store, today. I was able to compare Martin's D-18GE, OM-13, OM-21, and D-28 Marquis, Collings' equivalents, and some of Taylor's best. I can honestly say that the E10s have sound quality that equals or exceeds the others and has BETTER projection than all the above. In addition, the workmanship is second-to-none.

Some folks have a religious devotion to certain makers, but I'll take an Eastman over most any day! They're not just "good for the money", they are great instruments.

God Bless,
campacj
Seattle, WA
Old 07-25-2017, 01:09 AM

Beautiful guitar...

If you want to go pick-guardless on your E10OM you can buy laminate self-stick sheets at Office Max or Staples. I found that a pickguard really effected the tone on my E10OM so I switched to using the laminate sheets, almost no detriment to the tone at all and so far no effect to the finish.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Very nice... congrats! I definitely lean towards no pickguard. I have a magnetic one I can apply temporarily when I have to have one. Otherwise, I much prefer seeing the pretty wood.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
The construction on this one is flawless, and the finish is superb. Yeah, the sides and back are sapele, but it is simply gorgeous. I'm not sure if all the OM's are finished like mine, but it seems a bit darker than most Eastmans.
Sepele? I think that needs looking into. I have always assumed it's mahogany. The back and sides of Eastmans in the E# series all have a dark reddish finish from those I've seen. And welcome to the Eastman club, they are indeed fine guitars, I have two and another, hopefully, on its way to arrive tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Beautiful guitar...

If you want to go pick-guardless on your E10OM you can buy laminate self-stick sheets at Office Max or Staples. I found that a pickguard really effected the tone on my E10OM so I switched to using the laminate sheets, almost no detriment to the tone at all and so far no effect to the finish.
I use those on these and they work great and are pretty much invisible.

By the way, that's a hand-built Pono DS 20 SP SS Dread that is an impeccable build and has the J45 vibe for a whole lot less $$.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-25-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
Sepele? I think that needs looking into. I have always assumed it's mahogany. The back and sides of Eastmans in the E# series all have a dark reddish finish from those I've seen. And welcome to the Eastman club, they are indeed fine guitars, I have two and another, hopefully, on its way to arrive tomorrow.
I agree, it is generally accepted as one of the mahoganies. Gibson and Martin generally use Honduran mahogany, which is closer to what we think of as genuine mahogany.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I use those on these and they work great and are pretty much invisible.

By the way, that's a hand-built Pono DS 20 SP SS Dread that is an impeccable build and has the J45 vibe for a whole lot less $$.
Nice, I sure don't see it!

Takes some practice getting it right without air bubbles, mine aren't applied as well as yours.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion