The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Reading thru the posts above, it's pretty clear everyone isn't talking the same species - the name is a little generic, and I've seen a couple different materials called canary wood - at least I assume they were different, cause they sure looked different, although fresh cut they had a mostly bright yellow color -
Right. It's one of those common names, like "satinwood," that's applied to various woods that are different species and are probably from different continents. So the name itself probably doesn't mean much.

What I would be willing to bet, though, is that the guitar builder in question has a nice stash of an uncommon tonewood that he's experimented with and has been happy with the results.

whm
Old 07-23-2017, 05:48 PM

Paul, did that guitar have the mahogany top?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
Paul, did that guitar have the mahogany top?
No, it had a spruce top.

Here are some photos. The inlays on the rosette and fret are canary wood as well. Nice work but I have no idea what it would sound like. Maybe someday when I'm ready to take a big gamble I'll have him build me one.

satre1.jpg

satre2.jpg

satre3.jpg

satre4.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion