The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 02:19 PM

Default LUTHIERS AND BUILDERS: mods

My late 2016 Yamaha LL16 ARE .. Englemann top... rosewood B/S...

Has the tightest bass... Meatiest midrange... Loudest projection ... Of any guitar I have played. About 15 percent louder than many other LL16s I tried. This thing barks and has balanced tone.

I can tune the low E down nearly an octave before the resonance starts getting mushy. Even with all the slack. Thats how responsive the guitar is in bass resonance. I have considered using it as a baritone guitar also because of its powerful bass and midrange.

However, i have played other more 'polite' LL16s two of which had shimmery sweet... Sing ey.... Musical top end that almost had a natural chorus to it.

I would character mine as having a sterile top end tone bordering on edgey. They sound like a tight string with no give. Plenty loud.

I was wondering if whittling some of the bracing down a smidgeon would enhance the musicality of the upper end of this guitar without compromising the other favorable attributes of it. I would like to smooth out and get that singey chorus in the top end.

Last edited by Tommy_G; 10-22-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:38 PM

Another thing to try might be these new D'Addario Nickel Bronze 'Balanced Tension' strings.
The NB1252BT set has an interesting gauge.
- 12 - 16 - 22 - 30 - 39 - 52
Rather than trying to lift the highs this set might tone down the bass and mids a little to match the highs?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-22-2017, 03:00 PM

Hi... I put a set of the Dadarrio Nickel Bronze last week and while the guitar lost some of the ballziness of the stock strings which I presume are 80/20 elixers... I believe the top end has more complexity.

However as far as I recall they arent the balanced tension set... Just the straight our 12 53 with NY steel core. As an aside.. The G string has a very springy feeling G string... Making half step bends quite tolerable... As other have noted about the NB strings.

However this guitar has plenty of treble and the high strings arent buried.

The highs are just crisp and border on edgey... Also sterile. I chalk it up to too rigid of a top possibly due to overly rigid bracing. That might be why the bass is so tight too...

Last edited by Tommy_G; 10-22-2017 at 07:21 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion