The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Very nice Glenn...again.

No one I know captures the essence of the era as you do.
Your sensitivity to these songs is instantly apparent.
The right hand picking pattern is paramount, and you nail it everytime!

Well done my friend.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Very nice Glenn...again.

No one I know captures the essence of the era as you do.
Your sensitivity to these songs is instantly apparent.
The right hand picking pattern is paramount, and you nail it everytime!

Well done my friend.
Hi Woodbox!

How nice to hear from you! I hope you are feeling a little better since the last time we communicated.

And thank you so much for the kind words on this video and those of the past! I'm so glad you like this version of the song! It's very rewarding to know that you are listening.

Take care!

- Glenn
Old 10-16-2017, 02:56 PM

Wonderful performance, Glenn. Songs with the “time passing” theme become more meaningful at our age, don’t they. The good and important things become more precious, it seems.
In that same vein, I wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery. I hope it all goes well and the recovery is rapid and complete. Keep us posted, and looking forward to more videos when you’re up to it.
Best regards,
Roger
Old 10-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Wonderful performance, Glenn. Songs with the “time passing” theme become more meaningful at our age, don’t they. The good and important things become more precious, it seems.
In that same vein, I wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery. I hope it all goes well and the recovery is rapid and complete. Keep us posted, and looking forward to more videos when you’re up to it.
Best regards,
Roger
Thank you Roger,

Thanks for listening and for your kind words!

You are so very right about the time passing theme at our age! And thank you for your good wishes on the coming surgery tomorrow. My wife went through this 7 months ago so we are both pretty well prepared for what to expect. Still, each person is different and one never can predict the future. But I am very hopeful.

Thanks for your comments!

- Glenn
Old 10-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

HI Glenn,

I listened to this yesterday and then got sidetracked before I had a chance to post. I enjoyed this very much and remember that I wore that Judy Collins record out back in the day! Nicely done.

And let me add my good thoughts for your upcoming surgery.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
HI Glenn,

I listened to this yesterday and then got sidetracked before I had a chance to post. I enjoyed this very much and remember that I wore that Judy Collins record out back in the day! Nicely done.

And let me add my good thoughts for your upcoming surgery.

Best,
Jayne
Thanks so much, Jayne!

Yes, I think both my wife and I had LPs (vinyl records) of Judy Collins' album, "Who Knows Where the Time Goes," and I think we both wore out those records, as well! That was a great album.

And thanks for the good wishes on the surgery. I just got home from the hospital after spending one night. My wife stayed in the room with me last night because I had some trouble recovering from all the anesthesia drugs. Finally about midnight I stopped feeling so dizzy so that they could then get me up and walking with a walker. I did fine, so well, in fact, that they let me come home today.

I do feel like they pounded on my left thigh with a baseball bat, but it is nice to have a left hip joint that works so much better now!

Thanks for your good wishes on the surgery! I will need a few weeks to heal those muscles, but I am already better off than I was before the surgery.

- Glenn
Old 10-19-2017, 08:28 AM

Good news, Glenn.....glad things went well after an initial bout with so many drugs! Speedy recovery wishes!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Last edited by islandguitar; 10-19-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Excellent, Glenn... I really liked that! I should know this tune, but I'm coming up empty. So, I'm very glad to be introduced to it. If Judy Collins sung it in 1969, I should know it.

I wish you the very best with the surgical procedure. Hope to hear very soon that you're doing well. And having had the privilege of meeting your lovely wife, it's nice when you sing or dedicate a song to her. I know how much she enjoys that.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to your return.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Good news, Glenn.....glad things went well after an initial bout with so many drugs! Speedy recovery wishes!
Thank you Fred!

Considering that I just had the surgery on Tuesday and this is Thursday, I am doing pretty well. We got home from the hospital late in the afternoon yesterday. The hardest part is getting in and out of bed. When I first walk around the house (I am using a walker) my thigh is very sore and stiff. It feels like they pounded on my upper thigh with a baseball bat. But I take two tours around the house every hour and things tend to feel slightly better the more I walk. The actual hip joint feels totally normal. There is no joint pain anymore, just massive muscle pain where they had to separate muscles to get the femur out and drive in the new appliance.

I have to get my nerve up to watch a YouTube video on how this is done. I will probably be in shock!

Thanks for your good thoughts, Fred!

- Glenn
Old 10-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Excellent, Glenn... I really liked that! I should know this tune, but I'm coming up empty. So, I'm very glad to be introduced to it. If Judy Collins sung it in 1969, I should know it.

I wish you the very best with the surgical procedure. Hope to hear very soon that you're doing well. And having had the privilege of meeting your lovely wife, it's nice when you sing or dedicate a song to her. I know how much she enjoys that.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to your return.
Thanks so much, Kerbie! Here is a recording from the album:

In case you are interested, here is a very well done video of her performing this song in more recent times (2002):

And yes, this was a very good time to dedicate a song like this to my wife. She is going to have to do a lot to help me over the next few weeks and it won't be fun for her. Having helped her through this same recovery for this same procedure 7 months ago, I know what she will be dealing with, and I strongly suspect that I will not be as good a patient for her as she was for me.

Thanks for the kind words, Kerbie!

- Glenn
Old 10-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Hi Glenn, great to see that you are back home and doing laps, although painful. So glad things went so well for you.

Looking forward to more music coming from Oregon when you’re feeling up to it.

Best regards,
Roger
Old 10-19-2017, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Hi Glenn, great to see that you are back home and doing laps, although painful. So glad things went so well for you.

Looking forward to more music coming from Oregon when you’re feeling up to it.

Best regards,
Roger
Thank you Roger!

I appreciate your concern. It may take me a month or so, maybe 6 weeks, before I can comfortably sit down with a guitar, but we'll see.

I may be able to play sooner than I think.

- Glenn
Old 10-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for digging up this brilliant old chestnut, Glenn! Loved Fairport's version of it, but it was the Judy Collins version that really "got me"...

Loved the album that was on; Stephen Stills plays bass, a little guitar and some keyboards on that album, and it was my favorite of all Judy's records - mostly because a lot of the tunes were far more "live" than her other records (albeit in a studio).

Thanks for posting a terrific song by a wonderful writer/singer (Sandy Denny) - and I'm very glad that your surgery went well... here's to a speedy and full recovery!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Thanks for digging up this brilliant old chestnut, Glenn! Loved Fairport's version of it, but it was the Judy Collins version that really "got me"...

Loved the album that was on; Stephen Stills plays bass, a little guitar and some keyboards on that album, and it was my favorite of all Judy's records - mostly because a lot of the tunes were far more "live" than her other records (albeit in a studio).

Thanks for posting a terrific song by a wonderful writer/singer (Sandy Denny) - and I'm very glad that your surgery went well... here's to a speedy and full recovery!
Thank you Jseth!

My wife and I were huge enthusiasts for Judy Collins' album "Who Knows Where the Time Goes," also. It did have a very live sound to it, and you could hear Stephen Stills influence throughout the album. I very much agree with you!

Thanks for your kind words about my attempt at this song and about my recovery from surgery. I am doing pretty well for this early stage.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell