The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-25-2014, 09:49 PM

I built one with 3/4" difference between the bass and treble sides (15" wide), and found it uncomfortably angled for my left hand. I'll keep it to 1/2" or less if I do another.

But it's hard to say for someone with a specific problem. You might follow suit with Bill Cumpiano and make a styrofoam mockup for him to hold http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Guitars...edge-page.html
Apparently that guy could handle a pretty extreme angle.

Beware the back binding on wedge guitars... you need your router bearing to be as close to the edge as possible. And preferably use a flexible wood like curly maple, and not too tall (3/16" is good) so it can be forced to conform to the compound curve rather than needing to be precision bent. Or just skip the back binding. Top binding has functional purpose to protect the softwood edge, but back binding is mostly decorative.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

I have a big baritone with a wedge *and* bevels and it's incredibly comfortable. Highly recommended.

Y'all should talk to Mike Doolin, as he built guitars for someone with shoulder problems, and did a bunch of interesting things with that.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 AM

I have 3 Wedgies, one with a modest "Laskin" style arm bevel. I have a custom (1 of 3 Made) Breedlove C-15 that is a dream to play, thin body to start with and a taper. Although a Rosewood guitar with the taper and a thin body it leans more in sound to the Breedlove Pacific model, which is a shallow body concert out of maple. Small, easy to play works well standing or sitting.

My McKnight Brazilian /LS Redwood had Tim's taper and I find it a perfect fit for me with a larger (Mini-Jumbo). Very comfortable. I've had shoulder surgery in the past so I stick to added ergonomic features now. Tim's idea is solid. I like this on for standing "Performing" a bit more than sitting and writing.

I have a Custom Harvey Leach out of figured mahogany, an OMish model with a wedge and the Laskin like arm bevel. This guitar is great for my writing or song circle times when I'm not standing. I like having both wedge and bevel when I play while siting.

I hope this helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop