The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-18-2014, 08:09 PM

Default Kim Walker SJ

After receiving my 4 seasons project (Kraut, Kostal, Fredell, Ogino) last month I thought I would take a break from buying guitars lol

I just couldnt let the oppurtunity of owning a Kim Walker pass... So I went to Osaka to test the guitar. And wow, its definitely in the top 3 best guitars I have ever played. The balance, articulateness, power, sensitivity, projection, warmth, and clarity w/ the right amount of complexity. I tested it along w great guitars from Franklin, Borges, and vintage prewar 000-45, D45 and D28. To my ears, it was the best guitar in the store. Its effortless to play, really fantastic

Bear claw Sitka over African blackwood back and sides... Most ABW guitars I have played are heavy, this one is not, It is in fact light weight. Im not sure how Kim does it..
Old 10-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

So....did you buy it??

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 10-19-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
So....did you buy it??
I had too lol
Old 10-19-2014, 12:42 AM

I have played 4 or 5 of Kim's instruments. Never played an SJ though. And never one with African Blackwood back/sides. Mostly his OM models in Brazilian. I found every one of them to be as good a guitar as I've ever had the pleasure to audition. He is truly as fine a luthier as there is out there in my book. I envy your purchase. I hope that someday I will join you as an owner. My sincerest congratulations.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 10-19-2014, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on a beautiful guitar!

Regarding the weight being light, that is very curious given the high density of ABW. It can only mean three things: 1) it was made with a set with unusually low density for ABW: 2) Kim took the back and sides about >1/3rd thinner than he does for BRW: 3) A bit of both (lower density and thinning). Alternately, it sounded and played so well, that you perceived it as "light".... When you get a chance, weigh it next to your other guitars.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 10-19-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post

Regarding the weight being light, that is very curious given the high density of ABW. It can only mean three things: 1) it was made with a set with unusually low density for ABW: 2) Kim took the back and sides about >1/3rd thinner than he does for BRW: 3) A bit of both (lower density and thinning. Alternately, it sounded and played so well, that you perceived it as "light".... When you get a chance, weigh it next to your other guitars.
Probably no.2, ABW even at it's lightest is still really heavy! KW is a Jedi Master of woodworking and it's probably his immense woodworking abilities to be able to thin the b/s to be as light as possible.

Congrats FSgeek, I'd love to play the KW; it's my kind of guitar.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:41 AM

Didn't they tell you about the helium gas balloon inside the box?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
I have played 4 or 5 of Kim's instruments. Never played an SJ though. And never one with African Blackwood back/sides. Mostly his OM models in Brazilian. I found every one of them to be as good a guitar as I've ever had the pleasure to audition. He is truly as fine a luthier as there is out there in my book. I envy your purchase. I hope that someday I will join you as an owner. My sincerest congratulations.

This is the only one I have played, though Im on his waiting list, 4 more years maybe

Thanks, Im sure you will get your chance... If I live close to LC, im sure I wouldve bought one or two a long time ago... I had the chance to get an SJ w cocobolo backa few years back, but Mike Joyce directed me to a Traugott instead...
Old 10-19-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post

Regarding the weight being light, that is very curious given the high density of ABW. It can only mean three things: 1) it was made with a set with unusually low density for ABW: 2) Kim took the back and sides about >1/3rd thinner than he does for BRW: 3) A bit of both (lower density and thinning). Alternately, it sounded and played so well, that you perceived it as "light".... When you get a chance, weigh it next to your other guitars.
Its probably #2.

Even before I played it, I was surprised that it was light weight
I used to have an ABW guitar from another famous builder, and it was heavy, all the ABW guitars I have tested were on the heavy side...
Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 AM

Oh, wow, I just read that Kim Walker has, according to his web page, a waiting list of 7 to 8 years!!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:56 AM

Man, you are killing me here.

Over the last few years I've played guitars by pretty much everyone I'm interested in, with one notable exception: Kim Walker.

Hope I get to rectify that one day. Your enthusiasm suggests that doing so should be a priority for me?!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-20-2014, 03:22 PM

A gorgeous guitar! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kim Walker is my favorite guitar builder.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I remember back in the mid 90's, Kim was at the 5 towns guitar show, he had a 14 fret 0-28 braz / Adi and he was asking 8000.00. I thought to myself, this guy is crazy, who does he think he is asking 8K for one of his guitars? Well my friend bought his one and only " Black Tie" Arch top and I walked away empty handed.... Im such an idiot...lol
Old 10-20-2014, 05:08 PM

I encountered Kim's guitars circa 2000, fell for them hard, and ordered my first of 3, which was delivered in 2003.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Man, you are killing me here.

Over the last few years I've played guitars by pretty much everyone I'm interested in, with one notable exception: Kim Walker.

Hope I get to rectify that one day. Your enthusiasm suggests that doing so should be a priority for me?!

Cheers,
Steve
You have to Steve... I hope to get my hands on his OM soon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop