The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-09-2014, 05:18 PM

It's amazing to see where Tim and Mary are from 2002/2003. I dare say that if there is better to be had, Tim will have it in short order. Such a progression over the years, truly a great builder. I think Tim's drive to know and apply make him the builder he is...and will be....keep your eye on McKnight...he is still on the move.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Motel managers might balk if we try to start a campfire inside our room.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Motel managers might balk if we try to start a campfire inside our room.
Hahaha. Congratulations Mary and Tim!!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:49 AM

I love the Farmall stool. Its Awesome. I like the hollow back. Makes sense.

I still think you should smile for the camera, though, Tim .

Hope you had a great Anniversary. I have one coming up too (Woodstock weekend - how romantic, huh?).

Hope you have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:03 AM

Judging by the pics I doubt you'll ever need to worry about a neck reset in the future. That puppy looks solid!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Judging by the pics I doubt you'll ever need to worry about a neck reset in the future. That puppy looks solid!
That is our goal Bill. When I built my first 12 string I wanted to reduce the rotational forces on the neck block, which eventually causes the neck area of the rim to deform and the back to longitudinally flatten out which ultimately leads to a neck reset. I added knee braces to the neck block and anchored them to the stiffest and strongest point on the rim which is the waist. I didn't have any fancy carbon fiber tubes but I did have 1 iron and 2 iron steel shafted golf clubs that I wasn't using so these ended up in my prototype 12 string. The results were better than I had anticipated and that design became standard on every McKnight guitar (6 or 12 string) thereafter. Thankfully we have never had a guitar returned, needing a neck reset, for over 20 years so it must be working as planned.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
That is our goal Bill. When I built my first 12 string I wanted to reduce the rotational forces on the neck block, which eventually causes the neck area of the rim to deform and the back to longitudinally flatten out which ultimately leads to a neck reset. I added knee braces to the neck block and anchored them to the stiffest and strongest point on the rim which is the waist. I didn't have any fancy carbon fiber tubes but I did have 1 iron and 2 iron steel shafted golf clubs that I wasn't using so these ended up in my prototype 12 string. The results were better than I had anticipated and that design became standard on every McKnight guitar (6 or 12 string) thereafter. Thankfully we have never had a guitar returned, needing a neck reset, for over 20 years so it must be working as planned.
I saw something similar from Mike Doolin (now retired). Did you get your original idea for your design anywhere in particular?

Bill
Old 09-10-2014, 01:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
I saw something similar from Mike Doolin (now retired). Did you get your original idea for your design anywhere in particular?

Bill
Oddly enough I woke up in the middle of the night with the idea in my head. I had been fretting about it (no pun intended) for weeks and then the answer just came to me in the middle of the night. I certainly can't claim that I invented it because others are doing it too so who knows whose original idea it was. I have come to accept the scripture statement that says "there is nothing new under the sun". I am just glad that I discovered carbon fiber tubes before ALL of my golf clubs disappeared
Old 09-11-2014, 09:29 PM

Tim has made some awesome progress so far! It's really exciting to receive these pictures and see what part he's going to work on next.

Tim planning out how on earth he is going to attach the top to the body of the guitar...

Just a quick peak inside the guitar before it gets its top. that brown wood of unknown origin is beautiful

This is how you know it was built by the one and only Tim McKnight (& Mary)!

Spraying down the binding before it is bent into shape

Same as the side, the pieces of wood are getting being prepped to be bent into shape by the torture machine!

Tim showing us that million dollar smile!

But don't worry he's back to focusing on the build

Once the pieces are heated, cooled, heated, cooled, heated cooled and finally bent into shape with memory, Tim can work on routing the top of the guitar to be flush with the body...
Old 09-11-2014, 09:34 PM

continued from the last post, Tim works his way around the top with 1 of his 50 router thingies.

The edges need to be sanded down. Sanding never stops!

Once completed, Tim has some time to build in the wedge at the bottom of the guitar

A quick peek at what it will look like before gluing anything down

The hands of the master luthier working his magic

Once dry, Tim will be able to sand down the pieces and we'll get to see what it really looks like! Until next time folks. hope you enjoy these pictures!
Old 09-11-2014, 10:25 PM

Seeing this thread brings back some wonderful memories of my own McKnight! Love the zircote, Carpathan, hollow back and a few other goodies that make it a Very Special Guitar! I suspect the one coming together here under Tim's skilled hands will be every bit as loved as mine is. Mary's pictures of the gestation process makes it even more enjoyable!

cotten
Old 09-12-2014, 01:55 AM

In all my years following the build threads on in this forum, this is the first time I've seen Tim smile!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlingFish View Post
In all my years following the build threads on in this forum, this is the first time I've seen Tim smile!
You better save that one Pete as it is seldom seen, or so I've been told Its not that I am an unhappy person but I just don't smile much (at least on the outside). It must match my dry sense of humor or perhaps my personality?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Its not that I am an unhappy person but I just don't smile much (at least on the outside). It must match my dry sense of humor or perhaps my personality?
It's the focus and intensity. If you think Tim doesn't smile when he's building a guitar, you ought to see him when he's on the golf course! Grinding... always grinding....

I've been blessed to discover that even a smile from Tim on the outside is no match for the kindness, gentleness, thoughtfulness, and genuine concern for others that thrives constantly on the inside. And it's a real joy to hear him laugh heartily -- which happens frequently.

Last edited by Eire; 09-12-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-12-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
I've been blessed to discover that even a smile from Tim on the outside is no match for the kindness, gentleness, thoughtfulness, and genuine concern for others that thrives constantly on the inside. And it's a real joy to hear him laugh heartily -- which happens frequently.
I don't doubt it for a moment. And it's a great smile!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
highlander om-d, mary mcknight, mcknight, tim mcknight