The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-06-2014, 05:53 PM

Smile Doerr Owners in the Pacific Northwest (WA)

I’m really intrigued and curious about the Legacy Select/Standard model. However, before I take the plunge to buy what would be my first custom build I would really like to try one out.

So if you anyone owns a Legacy in the WA state; say as far south as Tacoma from the Cdn border (I live in Canada) and wouldn’t mind letting me look at it, I’d love to hear from you. Please email or pm me.

Thanks your time and attention.

Paul

Last edited by polly9999; 06-17-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Please delete this thread. Thanks
Old 06-07-2014, 08:55 AM

Tom makes very high quality guitars... Hope you would join in to be another doerr guitar owner!

2008 Doerr Legacy German Spruce/ koa
2014 Charis SJ Swiss Spruce/ ABW
2017 Gibson LG-2 Sitka Spruce/ Mahogany
Old 06-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I owned an 08 Legacy in Cedar and Cocobolo and a 2012 Solace Standard in German Spruce and Wenge and both guitars were amazing. They are very responsive and they are nearly equal to some of the finest finger style builders guitars I've played like Petros, Olson and Ryan. I recently played a friends 4 month old Standard Solace in Cocobolo and Cedar that was also superb and amazingly beautiful!!! Now the bevel he offers and the fine cedar creek case its an incredible package for a great value. I still wish I could afford to get my Solace back but I bought this crazy expensive Ryan recently that makes that hard.

I highly recommend Tom Doerr's guitars!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-07-2014, 10:31 AM

Hi Paul,
While not in your neck of the woods, I'll join in and relate how great Tom's guitars are! I've recently received my Legacy (May 7th) and could not be more pleased.......this was a "Standard" model with numerous upgrades: back and side Cocobolo, LS Redwood, top trim in Coco, rosette, and head stock upgrades. Tom's approach with this allows for some nice additions and flexibility to explore additions as your pocketbook permits.
My entire adventure was almost a year to the day......wait time and build time......Tom is SUPBERB to deal with......it's a highly personal journey as I was hoping for....each email and phone call a little "gift" toward the goal. I cannot speak more highly of the experience and the integrity which Tom brings to the process. He's a great guy who really knows his stuff.
If you do go with him....do so with great confidence!
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-07-2014, 12:02 PM

Having played 4 Doerrs thus far including having owned one, I agree with Bobby that Tom's guitars hold their own very well against the biggest names in the single-luthier market. I have a new Doerr build starting in October 2014 and I honestly can't wait!

I should mention as well that Tom's one of the nicest people as well that you'll ever meet.

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz

Last edited by swiftz07; 10-18-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:54 PM

Smile

Thank you for all your insight and comments. From what I read here and other previous comments in other threads I have no doubt Tom is a great guy and craftsman. We emailed back and forth a few times. He mentioned that he current has a standard legacy in stock with my fav wood combination (Sitka and Eir).
I just may have to call and have a chat about things. Again thanks everyone for you input. We have a great community here.
Paul
Old 06-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Paul--I'm not in Washington, but if you ever make it down to Northern California, you're more than welcome to try out my Doerr. They really are wonderful guitars--good luck!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Smile

Thanks Nemoman. That's awfully nice of you
Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Doerr Legacy

I have to chime in on Tom Doerr's great work. I now have the coco/cedar Legacy that Superb23 mentioned, and liked it so much that I had Tom build a Solace in basically the same woods. I initially thought I would sell the Legacy to fund the custom build, but in the end I couldn't bear to part with it, so I'm keeping both. They're tremendously responsive, look gorgeous and are meticulously built.

Everyone's already mentioned what great guy Tom is to deal with, and I just want to add that he is very generous with his time and knowledge. The only disadvantage I can see to buying one of the Legacies he currently has available is that then you won't have the enormous fun of working with him on a custom build!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 PM

Smile

Thanks CharlieD, appreciate the info!

Cheers
Old 10-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I've commissioned a Doerr Trinity Signature model in Brazilian/Lutz Spruce from Tom. If all goes as planned, he'll begin in December. I'll start a thread for it when he begins in earnest, so look for it if you're interested. It will have some unique details and should be an interesting thread to follow!
I've had the pleasure of visiting Tom's shop twice now, and spending time going over every conceivable detail for this build. He has the patience of a saint. I've changed my mind on various details and sent him way too many emails, but he always responds and helps direct me along the way.
Based on my experience in dealing with him so far, I can strongly recommend him!
Old 10-18-2014, 09:06 AM

Gaultier, it looks like ur commission and mine are going into the same batch of guitars that tom will be building once his home renovations are done! Mine being a signature legacy.

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 10-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Great, I hope you'll post some pictures of the build! I do remember him mentioning that there was a legacy signature in his next batch. This is my first-ever custom build, so I'm really excited.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:06 PM

Best wishes to the both of you with your builds. Gaultier.....looks like Tom is true to form with his help and support with your build. I'm envious that you got to visit his shop!!
I don't know if I've ever dealt with anyone as honest and supportive as Tom Doerr....in any purchase of anything I've ever bought.
I know it will be a blast for you......be sure to send pics through as your build begins to emerge!
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. I will definitely post pictures as Tom gets them to me, sometime in December. As I mentioned, it'll be his smaller "Trinity" model, which is his take on a 12-fret 000 style. BRW/Lutz Spruce with some interesting touches--Bois de Rose for the fretboard, bridge, and headstock front/back veneers, Indian Rosewood neck, and Blue Paua Abalone everywhere! I'm hoping it will be a very charming and elegant little guitar. My idea is to have a very modern take on the 19th century parlor guitar, many of which were very ornate. The woods are all just gorgeous--the BRW is highly figured and colorful, perfectly quarter-sawn (and has CITES papers!!), and the Lutz is a "Master grade" set from the personal stash of the guy who cut the tree (Mario from Sprucetonewoods.com). Once Tom works his magical wood alchemy, I'm sure he'll create another masterpiece!
Sorry if this is a little "off the topic" of the original post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop