The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Default Anyone familiar with Furch GN2CW Crossover?

I'm intrigued with the idea of having nylon string crossover. I've played a couple of Taylor crossovers but was nonplussed. The Furch seems like a good value (looking at overseas dealer) but I won't be able to try before I buy.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrunner View Post
I'm intrigued with the idea of having nylon string crossover. I've played a couple of Taylor crossovers but was nonplussed. The Furch seems like a good value (looking at overseas dealer) but I won't be able to try before I buy.
I have not played the Furch, but I have tried other crossovers and bought a Cordoba C9 crossover. It has a warm, clear, loud, punchy tone that I really like, and the neck shape is just right for me. This model costs $859 new, which is probably a lot less than the models you discuss, but it sure impressed me. Perhaps you can try a Cordoba crossover before you make your choice? Just a suggestion...
Old 02-23-2017, 08:03 AM

I can't speak about the Furch line of guitars.

Lots of people like the Yamaha nyon crossover's. My personal experience was that the Yamaha's sounded great plugged in, but didn't sound good to me when played unplugged.

I have owned the Cordoba C10 crossover... Great guitar... I think the C-9 is a better buy if you want the crossover line. I sold the C10, only because I just couldn't get accustomed to the 1 7/8" width nut with nylon strings.

My nylon guitar of choice these days is my Cordoba GK Pro Negra. The thin neck with the 1.96" width neck is extremely comfortable for me. It works for standard classical, jazz and most pop style tunes for me.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for trying Cordoba from an admitted Cordoba fan-boy. I've owned eleven Cordobas. Twelve, if you count the GK Pro negra that I had for a few days that I returned because Musician's Friend omitted mentioning the crack in the top. Every one of them was great playing and sounding. I chalk that up to the fact that Cordoba seems to brace their guitars lightly, which results in a louder, more responsive, almost explosive tone. I like that. When I play other nylons in the sub-$3K price range, most seem dead and sterile to me. I had a Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova before I started buying Cordobas. It was a $4K guitar and its playability, and fit & finish were flawless. But it didn't have near the responsiveness and liveliness that my Cordobas have had. I've played Taylors, Martins, and other very nice crossovers and all sounded dead to me in comparison. If you're looking for a mellow tone then that's fine. But if you want some liveliness in your tone, then I think that guitars by builders who specialize in great steel string instruments aren't always the way to go. Because often, they aren't braced lightly like nylons should be. Some of them almost seem like the builder put a slotted headstock on, and a classical bridge... and called it a nylon string guitar (leaving the same body as their steel strings). At least that's the way some of those sound and play. This has been my experience and if I had preferred the tone of those brands, I would have bought/kept them. I'm not rich... but when I find something that inspires me, I find a way to buy it. The fact that I prefer my Chinese-made Cordoba Luthier series instruments to everything else I have played is a matter of my own tastes.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:21 AM

I have a GN2SW and GN4SR. I switched to Nylon because it's easier on my left hand. I also have Breedlove Pursuit Nylon and Taylor 214 ce Nylon and I think the Furchs are easily the best of the bunch soundwise (unamplified).

They normally come without any pickup (which I prefer). I also like the shorter neck (neck meets Body at 12th fret) and cutaway. The Body is also smaller than the Breedlove or Taylor.

I prefer the Furchs for playability too.

I had an LR Baggs classical Anthem fitted to the GN2 but prefer to play unamplified.

In Europe the GN2SW and (CW) are both in about the same price range as the Taylor. I suppose they're fairly expensive and, to be honest, for most kinds of Music I'd prefer to play steel strings.

Depending on what you mean exactly by being nonplussed by the Taylor Nylons, maybe crossovers of any Kind wouldn't really be your Thing. I've heard good things about Cordoba guitars too. Maybe you should give a couple of other crossovers a tryout to see whether you would actually enjoy playing one. I certainly wouldn't advise you to buy the Furch without looking into the matter a bit further. You can hear Sound samples on Furch's home page and various other you-tube Reviews.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvgdez View Post
I have a GN2SW and GN4SR. I switched to Nylon because it's easier on my left hand. I also have Breedlove Pursuit Nylon and Taylor 214 ce Nylon and I think the Furchs are easily the best of the bunch soundwise (unamplified).

They normally come without any pickup (which I prefer). I also like the shorter neck (neck meets Body at 12th fret) and cutaway. The Body is also smaller than the Breedlove or Taylor.

I prefer the Furchs for playability too.

I had an LR Baggs classical Anthem fitted to the GN2 but prefer to play unamplified.

In Europe the GN2SW and (CW) are both in about the same price range as the Taylor. I suppose they're fairly expensive and, to be honest, for most kinds of Music I'd prefer to play steel strings.

Depending on what you mean exactly by being nonplussed by the Taylor Nylons, maybe crossovers of any Kind wouldn't really be your Thing. I've heard good things about Cordoba guitars too. Maybe you should give a couple of other crossovers a tryout to see whether you would actually enjoy playing one. I certainly wouldn't advise you to buy the Furch without looking into the matter a bit further. You can hear Sound samples on Furch's home page and various other you-tube Reviews.
The fact that you enjoy the tone of your Furch unamplified speaks volumes about it's build quality. Many crossovers are designed to sound best when amplified. The reason that you like your Furch is the same reason that I like my Cordobas... they sound great unplugged.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I can't speak about the Furch line of guitars.

Lots of people like the Yamaha nyon crossover's. My personal experience was that the Yamaha's sounded great plugged in, but didn't sound good to me when played unplugged.

I have owned the Cordoba C10 crossover... Great guitar... I think the C-9 is a better buy if you want the crossover line. I sold the C10, only because I just couldn't get accustomed to the 1 7/8" width nut with nylon strings.

My nylon guitar of choice these days is my Cordoba GK Pro Negra. The thin neck with the 1.96" width neck is extremely comfortable for me. It works for standard classical, jazz and most pop style tunes for me.

Dave
Yup... I've always been a fan of Yamaha products period. Their crossovers play like butter and are well-made. But they sound dead acoustically to me.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:31 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Yup... I've always been a fan of Yamaha products period. Their crossovers play like butter and are well-made. But they sound dead acoustically to me.
I too have had great experiences with Yamaha products. My entired PA system is Yamaha and it has exceeded all my expectations. However, I found the Cordoba models I played to sound more musical, louder, and clearer to my ears than the Yamaha classical and crossover models I played. Obviously, all of this is subjective. Just my perspective.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I too have had great experiences with Yamaha products. My entired PA system is Yamaha and it has exceeded all my expectations. However, I found the Cordoba models I played to sound more musical, louder, and clearer to my ears than the Yamaha classical and crossover models I played. Obviously, all of this is subjective. Just my perspective.
I just picked up a pair of Yamaha DXR8 powered PA cabs a few weeks ago and love em! I used them at a local club gig last Saturday and they were so clear, punchy, and tight. Perfect for my acoustic gigs! I use my Fishman Loudbox Mini or Roland Cube Street EX and run DI out of those into the Yamaha cabs.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:06 PM

I appreciate all the input. The Cordoba crossover sounds like a winner and I'll try to check it out. I may be a bit smitten by the aesthetics of the Furch. Unplugged sound is important to me. As most of my playing tends to be on my couch for the amusement of my dogs and an occasional "that sounds nice" complement from my wife.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
I appreciate all the input. The Cordoba crossover sounds like a winner and I'll try to check it out. I may be a bit smitten by the aesthetics of the Furch. Unplugged sound is important to me. As most of my playing tends to be on my couch for the amusement of my dogs and an occasional "that sounds nice" complement from my wife.
My Cordoba crossover does not have a pickup in it, which is how I wanted it. They do make models with them. Good luck with your search...
Old 02-23-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:

I haven't tried any Furch crossover, but as an owner of a Furch OM 32 SM I can tell you that Furch offers incredibly good value for the money, and I'm pretty sure their crossover sounds great. I also own a Cordoba crossover, a maple fusion 14, which is also a great guitar though very different, it's much cheaper and has laminated back and sides but it has a very sweet voice.

Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 02-24-2017, 08:56 PM

That was a great demonstration of the capability of the Córdoba. I was impressed by the sound both finger style and strummed. You're playing is very inspiring.
Another crossover you're playing is very inspiring.
Another crossover guitar I'm considering is a Pono listed in the classified section of the forum.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
That was a great demonstration of the capability of the Córdoba. I was impressed by the sound both finger style and strummed. You're playing is very inspiring.
Another crossover you're playing is very inspiring.
Another crossover guitar I'm considering is a Pono listed in the classified section of the forum.
Thanks glad that you did enjoy it, I have heard good things about Pono but have never played one myself, Cordoba has a pretty good reputation here when it comes to value for the money, so you'll read many good things about them, while Furch is pretty new to the nylon string guitar conception of what I know, and I don't think many have played their nylon model. But I would recommend their steel guitar vs any Taylor, Martin or Gibson, so I guess it could be the same with their nylon guitars. I guess their models will have more overtones and a deeper sound than the Cordoba which are more on the dry side, flamenco style and so on
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical