The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 09:02 AM

It was impressive with how much coordination it must take to jump on the right pedals at the right time while juggling instruments BUT... the song itself didn't hold my interest so I didn't make it much past the singing.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 AM

No thanks, Ill not pay to see that.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

As per usual-- Youth doesn't care give a what olde folks say. It takes all kinds to make a world.Opinions about such goings on are completely subjective.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-10-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 08-10-2017, 09:53 AM

I don't see or hear anything much of interest here.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
Meh, not for me. Impress with the fingers and the strings, not with buttons and knobs
It shouldn't be about impressing anyway, but I don't see why people can't demonstrate ability and entertain with fingers, strings, AND knobs...

Last edited by jhmulkey; 08-10-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Normally, I like things like this, but I think she tries to do too much. Also, I watched some other videos and her guitar playing is pretty bad. It's like me, but I'm not playing in front of an audience.

It's old, but I much prefer Andrew Bird for stuff like that:

He has band now though, so he seldom does that anymore. His band work is good too:

Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
She doesn't do anything for me. And I hate the tats.
a tat is a decorative ending formed on lace. what would that have to do with this? do you mean she is too decorative? just curious.
thanks,
play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-10-2017, 10:56 AM

Pretty impressive talents. I haven't caught on to the whole looping thing. I think Ed Sheeran is great at it even though I just get so bored with these compositions of 4 chords continuously playing.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:05 AM

At first viewing I was happy to see her excitement.

Then it became the only thing I could focus on. So much emotion on her face...but I couldn't make it through the piece.

I can appreciate the looping and foot moves. She's good. But it sort of struck me as a "participation trophy" sort of event.

Glad she was enjoying herself. Yup, I'm old.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:15 PM

I've seen a few "Looper" artist, live. At first it's intriguing but it then gets boring and monotonous as with many other types of musical art. Two others that come to mind is "Finger Style" and "Percussive". I'm sure there are some that have risen to the top and are worthy of seeing them in a live performance. Around where I live, I don't think we would be on their touring map so I'm stuck with what the locals have to offer.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 08-10-2017, 12:16 PM

Boy do I appreciate a creative out of the box spirit using music as her outlet. I am sure she has the same brain chemicals going on that we do when we write a song, play guitar or perform. Those brain juices are what I applaud and appreciate and true, they can create something some of us don't like, are not comfortable with or absolutely love. Lets cheer for those chemicals in our amazing brains that get us in the creative groove. Just an encouragement, not an opinion.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 08-10-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post

especially if they are boring and don't have any tattoos.

So people with no tattoos are boring?

Sounds like belikemeitis.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Interesting seeing how people feel about tatoos, and although that wasn't the focus of the thread initially, it's one of the strong sub-topics running here, so I'll start there and as it seems to be a very polarizing issue I imagine some will agree with my view and others won't, foregone conclusion.

I really see tattoos as a cross between the new makeup, and also a badge to show people that what they think you are isn't all there is, and all you have to do is look at my tattoos to see who I really am. I'm not me without my tattoos/makeup, and tattoos carry the additional benefit of being really expensive for the elaborate ones, so people can also see that I'm far surpassing the Joneses, especially if they are boring and don't have any tattoos.
Seems like more and more of my friends these days are showing their public worth by spending great sums of money on status symbols, many of whom ironically like to talk about the shallowness of others who do things simply for showing off.

Anyway, as for the jumping around in programmed fashion with all the buttons feels likewise, more of the narcissistic tendencies we're seeing in ever increasing numbers. Some looping performers go deep inside themselves and come up with incredible compositions and some of Kaki Kings' early pieces come to mind. She was totally focused on music whereas performers such as the one in the OP come across as attempting performing art, and as such, valid in its own right, but it carries the accompanying risk of turning into little more than a dancing monkey; a gimmick devoid of anything much more than a dance number.

Unfortunately this performer is presented in an awkward light, as the OP lets us know that if we can't do this, then we're no longer valid. Anyone ever go and watch a highly accomplished classical guitarist and become mesmerized at their skills? I have. I also love watching someone like Steve Vai combine the two elements of performance and excellence on the instrument.

Bottom line is that this performer was very annoying for me and had "look at me, look at me" written all over her self-satisfied faces and movements, probably having been egged on by her family and friends for years. Talented to be sure, but not a performance I'd care to see again.

She's performing for an audience and being recorded in a format in which she will be both seen and heard. Some of the faces were a bit much.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-10-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 08-10-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Summary: Self expression is narcissism.

I couldn't disagree more.
+1000 (Had to have enough characters to allow it to post
Old 08-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I sampled my way thru the clip...

She's certainly not without talent, but I'm not a real fan of frenetic, electronic, "everything but the kitchen sink" thrown in type music...

I'm not criticizing, music is always subjective...she's just one of those artists that for me, a little bit goes a long way...

On a positive note, it didn't make me want to give up acoustic guitar...
I don't need to really post. Denny's thoughts pretty well sum up how I feel about the playing. I may have listened to a minute or a little more of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion