The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Woohoo, I made it through 2 clean passes of page 2 Oh Susanna. Now I'm working on the first line of the syncopated version on page 3. Yae for me!

''Look Ma, I'm Fingerpicking!''
Old 05-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Woohoo, I made it through 2 clean passes of page 2 Oh Susanna. Now I'm working on the first line of the syncopated version on page 3. Yae for me!

Good for you! That is awesome progress. Now that you have the first versre down I think you'll find that the second verse will come easier, even with the syncopation. Good work.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Good for you! That is awesome progress. Now that you have the first versre down I think you'll find that the second verse will come easier, even with the syncopation. Good work.
That's great!! I had the same feeling when I first learned how to play 'Freight Train,' which was back in the day many beginning fingerpicker's first song.

Reeve is correct... the rest of that song, as well as the following ones in that set of lessons will come along as well now that you have the foundation down.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Thank you Toby and Reeve. This morning I went back to the basic ''Oh Susanna'' and played it 4 or 5 times until it was almost smooth. Then I had to get going, for a 50 mile bicycle ride through the mountains around Woodstock. Now after lunch, a nap, and some work in the yard, I'm ready to dive back in. Right now I'm working on ''Oh Susanna'' and I'm also working on a version of ''While My Guitar Gently Weeps'' with a pick.

Being a really good guitar player is probably really great, but being a beginner guitar player is still pretty darned good!
Old 05-27-2017, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you Toby and Reeve. This morning I went back to the basic ''Oh Susanna'' and played it 4 or 5 times until it was almost smooth. Then I had to get going, for a 50 mile bicycle ride through the mountains around Woodstock. Now after lunch, a nap, and some work in the yard, I'm ready to dive back in. Right now I'm working on ''Oh Susanna'' and I'm also working on a version of ''While My Guitar Gently Weeps'' with a pick.

Being a really good guitar player is probably really great, but being a beginner guitar player is still pretty darned good!
That's great...

Playing guitar is one of the reasons living to 200 is on my mind,

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

So here's a reasonable recording of One Dime Blues. I memorized it also, which is something I haven't been able to do in years

I like this tune, its fun to play. I can put this on my review list and go through it at least once a practice session. I'll have add a song now to my "learn list" to take its place. I'm going to go through the lesson packs and see what's next.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Nice tune, Barry. Sounding good!
Old 05-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Yes, that sounds great. I had to go to my Ipad to hear it. For some reason, I can't get those Soundcloud files to play on my Chromebook even though I have a soundcloud extension. I have to look into it.

Meanwhile, with me and ''Oh Susy''; it has it's ups and downs. I can play page 2, 10 times and 2 of them will be nice but the others, well........ Working on page 3 but still working more on page 2. Still lovin it. Gettin better every day.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, with me and ''Oh Susy''; it has it's ups and downs. I can play page 2, 10 times and 2 of them will be nice but the others, well........ Working on page 3 but still working more on page 2. Still lovin it. Gettin better every day.
Can I ask how long it took to get to this point? Ive only been at page 2 for a week, but it feels like it's Mt Everest. I had assumed (incorrectly?) that Oh Suzy would be an easy intro. Not. My little finger is random, the 8th notes are not musical and my RH middle finger keeps trying to get involved. Arrrghh! Looked at page 3 and went back to page 2.
Keep up the good work. It made me think I can figure this out too.
Voyage Air VAOM-02
Old 05-29-2017, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

CaptJack--I think your experience is pretty typical. I have been strumming a long time and finger picking since the first of the year. I picked up Toby's lesson pack at the beginning of May and 4 weeks later I am just now playing the whole tune cleanly. I've got the first verse memorized but still sight reading the second verse. I too thought this would be a simple tune to learn, but it is deceptively difficult! But quite musical, especially the second verse. I went on to a few of the others in the lesson pack just for some variety and they are coming along faster. Stick with it, well worth your time!
Old 05-30-2017, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

I've had it for two weeks. I'm certainly not the one to be giving advice on how to play but here is what I'm doing with Oh Suzy page 2 and 3;

First, play through the chords using only your thumb but making the full chords until it is all smooth.

Once that is nice, start practicing on bar at a time. Play the first bar until it's perfect and faster than you need before adding the second, then the third.

Once you can play the first line, you'll find that the second line is almost the same.

The third line, other than the C chord, still follows the same rythm and the fourth line is the second line again.

I start slowly because I tend to speed up as I get it rolling.

And, yes, it looks like ''this is going to be easy''. Surprise, it feels like you are playing something by Toby Walker. Guess what? You are!!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Two more quick things;

Pay attention to the video and finger the chords the same way Toby does.

We are only using our thumb and index finger on the right hand for this song.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the encouragement and hints. I think part of my issue is that I'm always thinking about what I'm supposed to be doing. But when I think about my left hand my right messes up and vice versa. I'm going to try the one bar at a time approach to see if that helps ingrain things a bit.
Voyage Air VAOM-02
Old 05-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

It couldn't be more true. This morning before I ran, I played page 2, 4 times. The second one was like silk. The third not so good. The fourth fell apart. I just said ''I think it's time for a run''
Old 05-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJack View Post
Thanks for the encouragement and hints. I think part of my issue is that I'm always thinking about what I'm supposed to be doing. But when I think about my left hand my right messes up and vice versa. I'm going to try the one bar at a time approach to see if that helps ingrain things a bit.
Hi Jack,

If I'm not mistaken Toby encourages memorization. It works for me. Once I kind of know the tune I start trying to play it by memory. You have to know the tune well enough to know when you are making a mistake. Then you start noting your mistakes and actually figuring it out by ear. Then it really starts to flow, you are no longer thinking about it, you are playing. I think if you apply this approach to the "one bar at a time" advice (which I also use on difficult passages) you may see quicker progress than always staring at the page and thinking about what comes next. I say this as a beginner picker, not a teacher, so take it with a grain of salt.

Stick with it, you can do it. It takes a crazy amount of time in the beginning. 4 months of at least an hour or 2 a day (more on weekends) was when I started to think maybe I could be a fingerpicker some day :-) I'm not there yet but I think the foundation is in place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write