The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2016, 09:09 PM

I use the same thing as Rusty Axe. Have been doing just that for a long time. Paddle and slot heads both. Works great for me.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 11-13-2016, 09:11 PM

I actually had to go and have a look at my Maton to see where it was. Position 3, and it works for me. To a point, tying to the headstock could distort the sound of the instrument if, and only if, you are very rough and heavy on your guitar. Think of someone pushing down on the body hard, there will some flex on the neck akin to bending strings.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Soul View Post

Cause strap button placement preferences are subjective.
I haven't attached at the headstock since I first started playing (strumming) in 1989.

I ad the second button at #4 on all my guitars that don't have them (including my classical).

1 and 2 are awkward, makes it want to flip forward, 3 isn't always possible depending on the construction and 5 is also uncomfortable (want to flip forward).
Old 11-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I have had 5 discs in my lower spine operated on. I only am able to play sitting down. So I never use a strap and do not like the hole in the bottom of the guitar so I stick the end pin in it merely to cover the hole.
I wish they came without any holes for those of use that go strapless. Unless it is difficult to drill the lower hole?
Old 11-14-2016, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
MOST guitarists sit when playing. Standing is more for band situations, hence, only one strap button.
That doesn't make a lot of sense. If the reasoning is that most people don't use straps, why have a strap button at all?
Old 11-14-2016, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
One, Two and Four and the guitar will not balance right -- it will lean forward as you are standing. Number three can and will lead to a crack in the side unless you add some sort of wood support piece inside to hold the screw. Number five is a direct hit into the most delicate part of the guitar, the neck and body joint.
Might I suggest that your statement is an opinion rather than a fact?

Option 2 is the best for balance because the strap is not pushed away from the guitar and lays flat against your left shoulder. Fact.

Opinion: option 1 is an abomination , and 3,4,and 5 are at right angles to the strap, and so ...wrong.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:54 AM

My Epiphone has the pin in the '2' position. It does make the guitar tilt forward making it slightly awkward to play. I play 99% of the time at the house and I play sitting down so it makes very little difference. I would play with a string to the area behind the nut and under the strings if I were going to play standing.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-14-2016, 11:01 AM

I need to use a strap all the time now (old shoulder injury coming back to haunt me). My guitars have had buttons at 2, 3, and 5, most added by me. Most of the Taylor's come with them installed at #5. Never had a guitar with a neck heel flat enough to try #4.

I have never liked the balance of the guitar when a strap is tied to the headstock. It makes the guitar balance to the right of torso center, as if it were sitting on my right leg. A strap using the #3 or #5 button position hangs nicely centered on my body, which reduces stress on the left wrist and shoulder. It splits the difference between right leg and left leg (classical style) in terms of positioning.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:21 AM

I also tie mine to the head stock. I have a few guitars with the second strap button ... but don't use it. I also play harmonica and find that the harmonica rack and the strap tend to get in the way of each other when I use the button at the bottom of the neck.

Bob.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 11-14-2016, 11:46 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Option 2 is the best for balance because the strap is not pushed away from the guitar and lays flat against your left shoulder. Fact.

Opinion: option 1 is an abomination , and 3,4,and 5 are at right angles to the strap, and so ...wrong.
That's a funny post in so many ways. I have no idea whether it was intentional or not.

FWIW, I use position 5, more or less.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:33 PM

I only have end pegs on a 1980 Takemine Dread and on a 2000- ish Yamaha.
My Sobell has no penetrating screws for strap pegs at all and I like it that way. I couldn't conceive of spoiling the finish of any such expensive instrument just to enable me to stand up.

When setting up guitars, many repair men prefer to have the guitar in the playing position rather than supine on the work bench because it supposedly imparts different stresses on the neck, or perhaps at the neck to body joint. Indeed Stewmac sell a purpose made jig specifically for that. It follows that if (at least theoretically) you tie a strap to the peghead, there must be some (perhaps imperceptible) impact on the guitar. Whether it does any long term harm is anyone's guess and must depend upon construction technique to some extent.

For the relatively tiny amount of time spent strumming away in front of an adoring audience, I would still prefer to tie on than to bore a hole into the heel to drive in a screw.

If people really have come to see you play as opposed to a living juke box, I fancy that they'd be happy enough if you elected to sit down? As has been noted, classical players sit down. Other genres may well need a player stood up in lights, but it's the music I pay to hear.
I once requested Martin Simpson to play "Banks of the Sweet Primroses" and shaking his head he said "I'll have to sit down for that one!". Even Jimi sat down while playing "Hear My Train A-Coming"...

e&oe...
Old 11-14-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
If that's the case, why would there be any at all?
Many don't, my Froggy came with just a hole drilled in the bottom.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblues View Post
Many don't, my Froggy came with just a hole drilled in the bottom.
Sound port?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Sound port?
No they just put a hole in the bottom like Martin and most other brands. The peg is in the guitar case's compartment. I do not understand why. Once the hole is drilled they might as well twist the peg into it. As someone previously mentioned, why put a hole in the beautiful woood if you have no intent on using it.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

I've always found they balance best with it at #5, & #2 causes the guitar to want to tip forwards, so I might be inclined to suggest your statement is also opinion rather than fact

Hear some footstomping acoustic blues at pistolpetewearn.co.uk!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion