The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 11:06 PM

Both builders make outstanding instruments.

I prefer SCGC; my 1991 OM is wonderful with a rich warm sound, my favorite instrument to play, and well enough set up to play for four or more hours at a clip without issues.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:59 PM

I've owned a handful of both of these so feel somewhat qualified to answer
I've had an 2 OM/PWs sitka/EIR, sitka/braz, an OMG adi/eir, a TR german/eir, a Vintage Artist german/braz, and a 1929-00
I've had a Collings OM2HG, OM1AC, D2H adi/braz, D3 adi/braz, CW adi/hog, CW adi/braz, D3 german/braz varnish, D42 adi/braz

Santa Cruz
Pros:
- Lightly built
- Very responsive to a lighter touch
- Beautiful guitars !
- Nice loose feel, playability wise, and with the bass
- A sweeter, less brash tone
- Respond very well to fingers...

Cons:
- Sometimes can have a metallic edge/reverb to their tone that almost sounds thin to me
- Generally not as loud, not as much horsepower as Collings I would say
- I have noticed extremely minor flaws from the factory
- I don't get along with their 1 3/4" necks on the OM/PWs and OMG I had - it's like their's a little shelf along the sides that extends down so that I have a hard time wrapping my thumb over the top
- New prices seem a little high...

Collings (standard series)
- Fit and finish superb
- Clarity/not muddy at all
- Respond very well to pick
- Has almost a hi-fi fundamental quality to the tone (not Taylor like in my opinion - doesn't sound thin), definitely more treble balanced than Martins
- Lots of headroom generally - will continue to get louder and remain clear the harder you play it (the Santa Cruz's I've had kind of max out at a certain point)
- A little bit cheaper

Cons:
- Can be heavy depending on the build - neither here nor there - the heavier Collings I've had have that piano like tone (I would say you hear a little more string than wood ?)- early Collings were much more lightly built (even with the bolt-necks) and they are getting back to this with the traditional and light build variations
- Can be lacking in bass (particularly OM models) or have a tight bass (depends on the guitars I've found...
- Not as responsive to a light touch as Santa Cruz generally - I believe this is partially due to the heavier build, less scalloping of the braces, and a heavier finish that combines poly/nitro - but with a pick or heavier hand, they come alive.
- Not as forgiving of poor technique (not a guitar to play loosey goosey style and expect to sound real great...)

So I think what I've learned from my journey with both these brands is that I personally prefer

Collings for D style instruments - particularly the varnished varieties (it makes a difference) and the CWs
I feel Collings OMs are a bit lacking the bass

SCGC for OM style or smaller instruments
I feel SCGCs are a little lacking in the volume and power in the D styles
Old 02-27-2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imus586 View Post
I've owned a handful of both of these so feel somewhat qualified to answer
I've had an 2 OM/PWs sitka/EIR, sitka/braz, an OMG adi/eir, a TR german/eir, a Vintage Artist german/braz, and a 1929-00
I've had a Collings OM2HG, OM1AC, D2H adi/braz, D3 adi/braz, CW adi/hog, CW adi/braz, D3 german/braz varnish, D42 adi/braz

Santa Cruz
Pros:
- Lightly built
- Very responsive to a lighter touch
- Beautiful guitars !
- Nice loose feel, playability wise, and with the bass
- A sweeter, less brash tone
- Respond very well to fingers...

Cons:
- Sometimes can have a metallic edge/reverb to their tone that almost sounds thin to me
- Generally not as loud, not as much horsepower as Collings I would say
- I have noticed extremely minor flaws from the factory
- I don't get along with their 1 3/4" necks on the OM/PWs and OMG I had - it's like their's a little shelf along the sides that extends down so that I have a hard time wrapping my thumb over the top
- New prices seem a little high...

Collings (standard series)
- Fit and finish superb
- Clarity/not muddy at all
- Respond very well to pick
- Has almost a hi-fi fundamental quality to the tone (not Taylor like in my opinion - doesn't sound thin), definitely more treble balanced than Martins
- Lots of headroom generally - will continue to get louder and remain clear the harder you play it (the Santa Cruz's I've had kind of max out at a certain point)
- A little bit cheaper

Cons:
- Can be heavy depending on the build - neither here nor there - the heavier Collings I've had have that piano like tone (I would say you hear a little more string than wood ?)- early Collings were much more lightly built (even with the bolt-necks) and they are getting back to this with the traditional and light build variations
- Can be lacking in bass (particularly OM models) or have a tight bass (depends on the guitars I've found...
- Not as responsive to a light touch as Santa Cruz generally - I believe this is partially due to the heavier build, less scalloping of the braces, and a heavier finish that combines poly/nitro - but with a pick or heavier hand, they come alive.
- Not as forgiving of poor technique (not a guitar to play loosey goosey style and expect to sound real great...)

So I think what I've learned from my journey with both these brands is that I personally prefer

Collings for D style instruments - particularly the varnished varieties (it makes a difference) and the CWs
I feel Collings OMs are a bit lacking the bass

SCGC for OM style or smaller instruments
I feel SCGCs are a little lacking in the volume and power in the D styles
I have a SC Tony rice and it has no compression, the harder you pick it, the louder it gets
Santa Cruz Tony Rice
Larrivee OM9

(Electrics - 6 PRS, 4 Levinson Blades, 2 Eggles, Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom, Reverend Warhawk, Don Grosh Retro Classic, Yamaha SA2200)
Old 02-27-2017, 08:10 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auld Reekie View Post
I have a SC Tony rice and it has no compression, the harder you pick it, the louder it gets
Glad to know you haven't had the same experience I have with some of them
Old 02-27-2017, 08:23 AM

Based on extremely limited experience, and speaking very generally......

I like Santa Cruz for being more warm & woody. They have certain something special, call it character if you want.

Collings certainly makes fine guitars, but the ones I've heard sounded nearly too perfect, almost sterile.

More experience with a wider variety of models from both makers might change my mind. Or maybe not. At that level it pretty much depends on what the player wants. One serious player might prefer one brand for "that" sound, another serious player might enjoy both.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 02-27-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Since this several month old thread was bumped, I thought I'd add that I bought another Santa Cruz since my first post on page 1...the newer one a German/EIR OM. Incredible guitar.

Please read imus586's post above (post#47). He really nailed it in terms of the differences between Collings and Santa Cruz.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Since this several month old thread was bumped, I thought I'd add that I bought another Santa Cruz since my first post on page 1...the newer one a German/EIR OM. Incredible guitar.

Please read imus586's post above (post#47). He really nailed it in terms of the differences between Collings and Santa Cruz.
^^^^+1 Same here. I found a wonderful SCGC OM, and like Brencat it's German/EIR. I have nothing but high praise for it. I still own 2 Collings OMs and a CJ. I like & appreciate the differences & contrasts in tones among them. For some it's an either/or, but for me it's pie or cake.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have played some nice Collings and Santa Cruz OM's over the years and I like the Santa Cruz a bit better because my hands like their neck shape and geometry better overall. But both makers have their strengths. If I were to buy an OM, it would be a Santa Cruz.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Having played many examples of several models from both companies, my experience has been that both make excellent guitars. The Collings guitars are more consistent when it comes to both tone and quality control, but Collings instruments are probably the most consistent on the planet. Their QC is better than Martin's, better than anybody else's. So that's no slur on SCGC to say that, it's simple fact.

That said, I like the tonal variation you can find from one Santa Cruz guitar to the next, and I also like the tone of SCGC's OM's better than I do that of almost all the Collings OM's I've had a chance to play. The Santa Cruz OM's just sound more like nice old Martins than Collings OM's do.

So if I was in the market for an OM, I'd probably gravitate to a Santa Cruz OM before I'd look for a Collings. On the other hand, I prefer Collings' Gibson-inspired models more than I do SCGC's Gibson-inspired guitars, so it evens out.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I suspect a large factor in the observation that SCGC guitars are not "as consistent" as Collings is the simple fact that the majority of SCGC guitars made are custom builds which often vary from the standard production model.

For example I currently have two SGCG F models. One is a stock FS and the other is a custom F all mahogany. Both are F models at their core, but quite different from each other.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Regarding playability... Santa Cruz usually features a V profile, where Collings tends toward a C. ....
Nice OBJECTIVE description of a difference between the neck designs, providing the buyer with information about why one guitar could seem to feel more playable than another.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 02-28-2017, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

My two SC guitars were built years apart and their necks are exactly the same. I love their 1 3/4" V necks allot better than the Martins. It's not as big or pronounced as the Martins. Also note that SC guitars have a dove tail neck joint where as the Collins has a bolt on neck joint. This does have a bearing on the sound they give.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-28-2017, 07:21 AM

I can only speak of a few Collings I've owned and they always seemed just a little to modern or bright to me. Love the SC OM/PW.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Santa Cruz vs collings om

I’ve owned several collings om’s, including a 11k Brazilian one. The are precise but unforgiving unless your really good. I bought a Santa Cruz om and it’s woody, easy to play, lighter, and just an all around joy. Tone is more vintage like a Martin to me which I love. I’d describe my Santa Cruz as a Martin cousin but much mi h clearer tone.

Alvarez classical 1975
Old 02-25-2018, 09:54 PM

There are two correct answers for this old question.

1. Both.
2. When considering a new or used guitar play lots of them and get the one that knocks you out. It also has to be one you're sure you can live with forever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion