The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-14-2016, 09:30 AM

Default Need a reliable Acoustic Luthier in LA for reasonable cost

Hey guys, I need an acoustic Luthier in LA, right now I just need some basic work done on a Tacoma but I am constantly having a flow of guitars come in and out that need work. I know some basic stuff and its getting to the point i want to find someone local not out of a brick and mortar shop. I was looking to adjust the action on my Tacoma DM9, I've already adjusted the neck and think the bridge needs to be sanded down. Planning to use this guitar for tapping/harmonic style, if anyone in the Los Angeles Area (here close to Glendale or the SFV valley) wants to take on this job for 30-40 bucks and future jobs please PM or email me at [email protected], thanks guys. Not to mention I have a small music school and new guitars are coming through my hands literally on a weekly basis that are in need of a setup.

Last edited by justinashouri; 10-16-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:13 AM

Los Angeles and "reasonable cost" are basically incompatible. You are in one of the highest cost of living areas in the country, so anyone working has to charge a bit just to survive. Good luck with your search. This might be a good opportunity to learn how to do your own set-ups.

It is unlikely that the bridge needs to be sanded down. I presume your mean the saddle (white part).
Old 10-14-2016, 11:32 AM

yes i do mean the saddle- and technicians in shops have quoted me around 50-60. why do u doubt that needs to be sanded down? just thought i can find someone here that i can become their "regular" and they give me some kind of a discount. 30-40 for work from home for 50-60 quoted in shop , - i do teaching and my rates actually match luthiers- 50-60 at the music school/in home lesson 30/40 if they come to me or via skype, so hopefully its not that far out of reach!
Old 10-14-2016, 02:00 PM

Justin, I never doubted that your saddle might need to be lowered -- I have no information by which to judge either way. I was only pointing out that the bridge itself probably does not need any modification.

Whatever you can negotiate with someone is fine, and I see where you are coming from. When I quote my engineering work, if people want to keep it to the absolute minimum price, then I start adding limitations on the scope of work I am willing to do just to protect myself from unrealistic client expectations. I'm simply not going to do $1000 worth of work for $300, period.

When I do guitar or ukulele lessons, my very reasonable base price is based on the student coming to my house for the lesson. If I have to go to them, then I add considerably for the travel time and hassle (many want their lessons right after school or work, so I have to travel during rush hour). That usually prices them out of the lessons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
action, guitar setup, luthier