The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-21-2001, 10:52 AM

Lightbulb

Hey anybody have some links to music they have recorded ? Like some of these tunes mentioned on this page. It sure would be cool to listen to !! My favorite tune to play as of now is Never Goin Back Again by Fleetwood Mac
W65ce
Old 03-21-2001, 12:20 PM

Talking

Forget that. Someone sell me a copy of that Johnny Norris book. It is out of print (oh moan and complain, I want the Blues so bad...).
Old 03-21-2001, 01:49 PM

My favorite to play: Self-arranged fingerstyle versions of:

"Today" by John Denver in C
"Lady" by John Denver in A
"Perhaps Love" by John Denver in C
"The Water is Wide" traditional in D major
endless variations of "Peidmont Blues" in Emajor
"Joy" JS Bach in Gmajor
"Can you feel the love tonight" Elton John in C major

I love to play variations on almost anything Cmajor that uses or implies the I-VIm-IIm7-V7 progression and I improvise endlessly with varying tempos/syncopation.
Old 03-21-2001, 02:16 PM

James,

If you want to hear and learn some great blues, check out John Cephas @ http://www.johncephas.com. He plays mainly in the piedmont style and he also uses a Taylor. He's one of the best acoustic blues guitarists out there.

GL
Old 03-21-2001, 06:22 PM

There's a piece I arranged for a singer and played on his CD. It's in standard with a capo on the 5th fret. When I start going up the neck on my 612c, the tone gets very bell like. Things just start ringing out. Something that doesn't happen nearly to the same extent on my other acoustics.

Brett
Old 03-22-2001, 08:26 AM

Cool

My all time favorite acoustic peice is "Hotel California" from the "Hell freezes over" album. Very challanging peice on one guitar. You must start off fingerstyle go to flat pick then move back to fingerstyle without missing a note. plus trying to make a steel sting sound classical make it that much more unusal.Keeping the pick in your lips ready to go is just a bit uncomfortable but the peice is great. I also like"Stairway to heaven" "Tears in Heaven" "Yesterday" "Time in a bottle" and strangly enough "House of the rising sun"(Animals version) but the list just goes on and on. I also like some of the songs ive written. "The begining of the end"(wifes favorite), "Courage to the alter", "Forgive me", "The hardest twenty feet" , "Many times I forgot about you(but you were always there)" and that list goes on as well. all these are gospel except "The beginning of the end". I know you ask for a favorte peice but I guess it just depends on the day or mood. "Hotel California" (hell freezes over version) is the most challanging so its the one I play the most. Just always trying to make it better. JW
Old 03-22-2001, 09:48 AM

Just a side note if I may,

JW, I recently saw the Hell Freezes over video and got to tell ya that I was completely impressed by the professionalism on that stage. Not to mention the quality of gear those guys brought around on that tour. Has anyone seen this and the guitars they used? Oh My.....

Don Felder and Joe Walsh are masters at picking the perfect guitar that fits that particular tune. Strats, Gibsons, Gretsch, Rics, Teles, all were used to their advantage. Each tune brought out a different guitar and every one was so righteous!

No Taylors, mostly Taks but that's alright, I'm sure their Taylors are at home.

They are living our dream!

I want them all!!!!! Oh man, another GAS attack...........
Old 03-24-2001, 02:25 AM

JW I agree that Hotel California is a blast to play but it sure isn't easy
I also like Stairway to Heaven and Roundabout by Yes. What always seem to get a reaction is Yesterday by the Beatles. Sounds great on my 810.
Old 03-26-2001, 11:02 PM

Currently butchering up two D. Dykes songs, Jazz in the Box and The Road Back Home. Also working on a little ditty, Classical Gas, Clapton version. Sometimes play till the fingers bleed. No matter how bad I butcher they still sound sweet on my 814 CE.
Old 03-27-2001, 10:07 AM

Cool

Another great song" Hey, Hey" off eric Clapton Unplugged. The slide up to the pull is fun and a challenge. After you get the feel everything flows and sounds good. His unplugged book is a great asset for study.
Old 03-27-2001, 11:19 AM

Smile

Vince...

I agree about the 'unplugged' album...don't forget the source of those tunes, though (Clapton would say the same thing)....

Mel Bay and Homespun Tapes have tons of instructional material available on authentic blues...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-27-2001, 02:35 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hi All,
I agree that the Clapton unplugged album is great. Besides the "hey hey" tune and a couple of others that I took the time to figure out, I really like playing that first cut which I think is called "Signe". I've played those at a few "easy listening" gigs that I've done.
My current favorite, now that it sounds fairly good is "Larry's World" off the Wood & Steel CD. I'm still insearch of the Doyle Dykes tune..."Nothings too good for a Friend".
Old 03-27-2001, 05:01 PM

I've got two or three that I've been working on lately. None of them very difficult but I love the way they sound and I've chosen them for songs that I can learn to sing along with (my first attempt at the rubbing your tummy and patting the head thing)

Axeman, I've been playing "elderly woman behind a counter in a small" town" by Pearl Jam as well. Great tune.

Also Neil Young't "Out on the Weekend"

And, a beautiful fingerpicked tune from Alice and Chains "Jar of Flies" cd called
"Don't follow"
Old 03-27-2001, 07:10 PM

"Maisie" by Laurence Juber, as taught on one of his videos (the standard tuning one) - not too difficult to pick up but sounds great.
Intro to "Like Everyone She Knows", James Taylor (found an arrangement on the web somewhere).
Agree with others that some of the Johnny Norris stuff is great.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:22 AM

Hey RK,
LJ is great, I just bought his tab book, LJ Beatles & Video. I really like his style and the fact that he plays in DADGAD on most of the songs. Great tuning for the guitar and gives rich sound to tunes.
Any other LJ fans out there!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell