The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-23-2001, 03:28 PM

Post numb head, er, fingers

After playing electric and some acoustic for many, many years, i decided to concentrate on the acoustic, but i wasn't satisfied with the sound of my old (60's) gibson flat top. i played many different guitars and guess what? i now own an 814ce. But here's the problem: the doc tells me i've got carpal tunnel syndrome. now, i don't think it's from playing, i've been schooled in the proper hand position and have engaged in other, more suspect, activities (like way too much tree pruning, ouch). but playing sure does aggravate it. i've decided to forego playing the guitar for a few weeks while whatever i did to my nerves has a chance to heal. i'm using a wrist brace, medication, etc., and don't want to do anything that might interfer with my ability to make music. needless to say, my instant gratification gene is not happy leaving the new taylor in the case when it sounds so good and is so fun to play! anybody else have experince or tales of recovery to help an aging guitar player?
Old 02-23-2001, 04:34 PM

Smile

Hey,

I at one time was having trouble with that. It's no joke for those who don't know. I started losing feeling and strength in my left hand. My doctor told me to stop playing completely (mine was from playing) for 3 - 6 months (it was at a time when it didn't really matter if I played or not - I stunk - and playing the guitar was just a big frustration anyways. No real problems since - I've been very careful of hand postion.

I'd do whatever your doctor suggests!
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 02-24-2001, 10:11 AM

yeow!! carpal tunnel sucks. Fortunately I have not had that problem. Unfortunately I am developing a little arthritis in my hands. Sometimes it is much worse that others. Don't know there is anything I can do but enjoy playing as long as I can.

Other than doing what the Doc says maybe strengthening the muscles in the hand will help? I don't know. I am hoping it will help me So I bought one of those Gripmasters.

I may be getting old ... but I ain't goin down easy!!!

Chuck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell