The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2013, 12:12 PM

Default NGD and a problem

Hey guys, I recently purchased a taylor 414 off ebay here are some pictures. I'm also having a problem. When I fret the A string, say the 5th fret, somewhere towards the nut, say the 3rd fret, is making contact first and making an annoying buzzing sound (not normal fret buzz). This also happens a little bit when fretting a note on the D string. I can really only think of two things that could cause this:

1. The channel the string sits in at the nut is to shallow

or

2. I changed the strings fairly quickly after getting the guitar, maybe the gauge was not the same and I need to adjust the truss rod

anyone have some thoughts on the matter?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I vote for number two.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM

Plus, the temperature/humidity changes for where you keep it compared to where it was originally set up can make a truss-rod adjustment necessary. I recently bought a GA4 from a great forum-member, but after a day or two in my guitar room (50% humidity approx), it needed a touch of adjustment on the truss rod to eliminate some buzzing. Once it acclimated to my location/humidity, and I made a minor adjustment, it was and has stayed perfect. Good luck!
Eastman AC312
JTV-59
Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Find a good guitar tech and let them do a setup on it for you...money well spent.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM

Most new guitars need a professional set-up.

This can be easily fixed.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'm going to take a good look at it when I get home and give it a good setup. Heres a family shot (need another stand before I can add the taylor to the wall)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion