The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Basic and budget friendly interface ?

Hey all, so I would like to record cover songs at home. This would be my very first recording setup. I've been looking at the Focusrite 2i2(gen-2) and the UR22 MKII, since they both can be had for roughly $150 and much less pre-owned.

I don't care for midi devices/attachments, since I'd only be recording with a basic setup of my acoustic guitar with a Fishman pickup, and vocal mic(Shure SM58).

I'd like to upload them to YouTube or Facebook to share with everyone.

Which one has a better preamp, for better sound quality? User friendly? And Windows 10 friendly? Since I use both a laptop/desktop Windows pc. I've read lots of mixed reviews for both. Would like to get opinions of those who have experience with both or either one.

Thanks!
Ralf
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin Custom 05 Java-DX(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Taylor GS-Mini-Hog(Traveler)
Old 08-08-2017, 08:06 AM

Hi Ralf, everyone always starts out by saying "all they need is..." then down the road they realize they really should have had a little more!
I will suggest you get an audio interface with 2 mic preamps, because you may find that you want to use a mic on your guitar, rather than its pickup.

The least expensive AI that gets good reviews (but I know of no one with personal experience) is the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD $80.
The most recommended (at homerecording.com) low-end AIs are the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Steinberg UR22mkII - $150.
There is also the TASCAM US-2X2 USB for $150, I've had great use of my Tascam US600, with never a problem.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Hi Ralf, everyone always starts out by saying "all they need is..." then down the road they realize they really should have had a little more!
I will suggest you get an audio interface with 2 mic preamps, because you may find that you want to use a mic on your guitar, rather than its pickup.

The least expensive AI that gets good reviews (but I know of no one with personal experience) is the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD $80.
The most recommended (at homerecording.com) low-end AIs are the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Steinberg UR22mkII - $150.
There is also the TASCAM US-2X2 USB for $150, I've had great use of my Tascam US600, with never a problem.

I appreciate the info, I'm definitely going with a 2 mic preamp. I've read a user had issues using the pickup on the guitar and causing clipping, etc. having a secondary mic for the guitar is the better option.

So it's pretty much between the 2i2 and Ur22mkII, Tascam 2x2 I haven't read much of yet.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 08-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Default It's the Quality of the Mic Preamps

Aloha,

It's all about the quality of the onboard mic preamps that makes the difference in selecting one interface over another. The two you mentioned ARE cheap but they don't offer that quality & open sound we're looking for. They encourage more mid-rangey, less open sounding, more compressed recordings. Those entry level Scarlett Series Focusrites are popular because they are cheap. But their sound (mic preamps) leaves much to be desired, IMO.

Entry level Ok. But they won't give you much air around the guitar tracks. Always sounds tight to me no matter how you mix it.

Look at Apogee Duet or RME Babyface. More costly, sure. Worth it, absolutely. You can easily hear the difference between cheap and quality interfaces.

alohachris

PS: Mic in stereo, don't "pickup" guitar signals. More choices in mixing later. Cleaner, better acoustic guitar tracks. Good Luck, Raf!

Last edited by alohachris; 08-09-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha,

It's all about the quality of the onboard mic preamps that makes the difference in selecting one interface over another. The two you mentioned ARE cheap but they don't offer that quality & open sound we're looking for. They encourage more mid-rangey, less open sounding, more compressed recordings. Those entry level Focusrites are popular because they are cheap. But their sound (mic preamps) leads much to be desired.

Entry level Ok. But they won't give you much air around the guitar racks. Always sounds tight to me no matter how you mix it.

Look at Apogee or RME. More costly, sure. Worth it, absolutely.

alohachris
I completely understand your view point. Reason I don't want to spend more than my budget price because I'm not a recording artist by any degree. I just want something good enough to share and upload online.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 08-08-2017, 01:59 PM

The Audient iD14 is a two preamp interface and has been rock solid for me. Great Class-A pre's, Burr Brown AD/DA Converters, really nice monitor and headphone outputs. Plus it's expandable when you're ready. The cost is higher than your bar at $300 but...
Old 08-08-2017, 05:39 PM

Focusrite is prob the top name in the business. Any of their products would be more than adequate for simply capturing a DI'd guitar and vocal.
Another pre I've used is the Presonus AudioBox. I was really surprised initially how clean it sounds and intuitive to use. I have the older 22 and 44 VSL units (which I'm sure you could find used). I use primarily for remote VO recording and demo work and they've always been solid little boxes on the road. At that price, it's a real value.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:07 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
The Audient iD14 is a two preamp interface and has been rock solid for me. Great Class-A pre's, Burr Brown AD/DA Converters, really nice monitor and headphone outputs. Plus it's expandable when you're ready. The cost is higher than your bar at $300 but...
I'll have to look into that one. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
Focusrite is prob the top name in the business. Any of their products would be more than adequate for simply capturing a DI'd guitar and vocal.
Another pre I've used is the Presonus AudioBox. I was really surprised initially how clean it sounds and intuitive to use. I have the older 22 and 44 VSL units (which I'm sure you could find used). I use primarily for remote VO recording and demo work and they've always been solid little boxes on the road. At that price, it's a real value.
Great, but lots of people seem to bash the Presonus for some reason?
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf702 View Post
Great, but lots of people seem to bash the Presonus for some reason?
Hmm, I don't know about that. Works really well for me. Reviewers at the link I provided also seem to like it as well.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I don't know about that. Works really well for me. Reviewers at the link I provided also seem to like it as well.
I'll have to do more reading up on this then. Which model are you referring to? The link shows a bunch of models for that Product line.

Does it work well with Windows PC ? Since that's what I use, or do you use it on a Mac?
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Focusrite is prob the top name in the business.
Ahem ! "the top name in the business " Not really, much to vague a statement. A much more accurate statement would be, Focusrite enjoys good sales numbers in the entry level category. But as far as "quality" of sound there are numerous quality products throughout the range of price points, that renders such statements less than accurate at best.

However yes a Focusrite would most likely work for the OP' stated purpose . But as you as you pointed a Presounus would likely do just as well

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-09-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ahem ! "the top name in the business " Not really, much to vague a statement. A much more accurate statement would be, Focusrite enjoys good sales numbers in the entry level category. But as far as "quality" of sound there are numerous quality products throughout the range of price points, that renders such statements less than accurate at best.
OK wow. Forgot the "IMO". Sheesh. Pardon my flagrant assumption.

Check your history. Also google the name Rupert Neve. FR is definitely in the top tier of the best known and respected pro audio companies in the world. VERY highly sought-after new and vintage products. Their Scarlett series of audio interfaces IS currently the top selling brand in it's category.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:18 AM

"Budget friendly", but people always start recommending higher-end gear!

Audient iD14 - $300
Apogee Duet - $600
RME Babyface - $750

I've read things about the 'older' Focusrite AIs that makes me not recommend them - driver issues, or that the preamps weren't great.

I see the same thing happen when someone asks about budget monitors. Sure, $1000/each speakers are going to sound better than $150 ones, but not everyone can afford or want to spend that kind of money.

Will someone using headphones or inexpensive monitors, doing casual recording to transfer to videos notice the difference between the preamps in a $150 interface compared to a $600 one? I bet not.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-09-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post

I've read things about the 'older' Focusrite AIs that makes me not recommend them - driver issues, or that the preamps weren't great.

I see the same thing happen when someone asks about budget monitors. Sure, $1000/each speakers are going to sound better than $150 ones, but not everyone can afford or want to spend that kind of money.

Will someone using headphones or inexpensive monitors, doing casual recording to transfer to videos notice the difference between the preamps in a $150 interface compared to a $600 one? I bet not.
This reminds me of a thread I got stuck in yesterday about the quality difference between WAV and (higher bit) mp3. I argued on the side of the consumer, where there really wouldn't be a perceived difference given the average listening source. Of course, to in-experienced ears, none of this really matters except cost. I think it's the same when it comes to audio interfaces. The two most important elements which separate the good from the best are AD/DA converters and the pre-amp(s). You pay for what you get. And the differences ARE there. It's the reason big studios pay big for gear from companies like API, Avalon, Neve and Focusrite.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 AM

Another option would be to go the portable route.
I've a Tascam DR44 and a couple mics, but the onboard mics are not bad (in my opinion) and should suit your purposes. It looks like you can pick up a DR40 or DR44 for a could hundred dollars, Audacity (free) and be set.

The down side is you have to transfer files to your computer, the upside if your not locked to the PC for recording.

Just another option to make it more confusing ;-)

Various stringed instruments

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD