The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 04:18 AM

Default Cool Guitar - Martin 0016-DBR

Saw Elderly has a used Martin 00-16DBR at the moment. 00 size, dreadnaught body depth, spruce and rosewood, slotted headstock on a 14 fret body.

These thing are pretty surprising when you play them. The small but deep body makes them sound bigger than they are.

No association, just posting because every time I mention mine, I get PM's from people wanting to buy it.

https://www.elderly.com/martin-00-16dbr-1998.htm
Old 04-27-2017, 04:57 AM

They are very cool guitars, if I ran Martin deep body 00's would become part of the standard line with rosewood and mahogany models. If I didn't have a daily player 00 already I would be calling Elderly.......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-27-2017, 06:59 AM

I had one of these a few yrs back.
In fact had a collection of three--
a DBR rosewood, a DBFM maple and an all mahogany model.
Currently have a 00-16C mahogany/sitka with cutaway...very rare.

They are special, and I confess,
I was tempted when I followed the Elderly link.

Someone will enjoy it.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:23 AM

That looks like an incredible guitar for the price!!! Narrow nut but other than that its tempting .
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I'd be tempted if it had a 1 3/4" nut width.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Exactly Toby!

My Flamed Maple model had an altered nut to spread the spacing a tad,
but you can only do so much til the E strings start sliding off the sides.

I keep my little Mahogany model around cuz its so cool, but wish it was 1 3/4.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:16 AM

I've got a '98 00-16DBR and love it! A friend got one of the Women And Music guitars with a cut-away spruce over mahogany (00C-16DB?) and once I played it I had to find one in rosewood. It took me a year but it was worth the search. It joined my '53 00-18 and '62 00-21NY and I've got a perfect family now. I really like the deep body, slot head, 14 frets to the body, and 1 11/16 nut. I find it plays equally well whether I'm finger picking or strumming. Of course I have to share my family portraits and one of the 00-16DBR alone and it's fretboard. The fretboard on the Elderly 00-16DBR looked a little dry to me. But all in all it's a great guitar and hard to find, I'm sure it won't be available very long and someone will be very happy!

Last edited by jgmaute; 04-28-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:07 AM

I've had a spruce/mahogany cutaway for a few years. Alway liked the sound and then I out a set of Retro Monel custom lights on it and it just exploded with sound. I'm tempted by this one because of the price but i'm at full capacity now.

Why Martin doesn't make this the standard for all 0 and 00, i have no idea.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:47 AM

Oddly, same dealer now has a mahogany cutaway. This is the version I have. Funny it would be priced higher than the rosewood.

https://www.elderly.com/martin-00c-16db-2002.htm
Old 04-28-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Oddly, same dealer now has a mahogany cutaway
and the all mahogany one:

https://www.elderly.com/martin-00-16dbm-2003.htm

Looks like someone sold off his/her collection.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I've had a spruce/mahogany cutaway for a few years. Alway liked the sound and then I out a set of Retro Monel custom lights on it and it just exploded with sound. I'm tempted by this one because of the price but i'm at full capacity now.

Why Martin doesn't make this the standard for all 0 and 00, i have no idea.
Every year at NAMM I talk with Diane, one of the Women And Music designers with Martin, I've also talked with one of the custom order guys who worked on the series. They all love it and were disappointed it was a limited series. You should hear some of the stories Diane has about letters or emails from men wanting a new label for the inside so it doesn't say Women And Music! You can order a deep body from the custom shop and I think a few years back one of the signature models was a deep body 00. Just glad I've got mine. I've been playing it a lot lately, getting ready for a keynote presentation tomorrow night. I'll be singing 6 songs as part of my presentation. Loving the sound!

Last edited by jgmaute; 04-28-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Oddly, same dealer now has a mahogany cutaway. This is the version I have. Funny it would be priced higher than the rosewood.

https://www.elderly.com/martin-00c-16db-2002.htm
This was my introduction to the series, my friend got it at Elderly back in 2010. Once I played it I was hooked. (It was her divorce present to herself and she thinks it's probably the best thing that came from that marriage.) I think it's in better condition than the rosewood one and the rosewood one is on consignment so that may impact the pricing.

That all mahogany one is tempting...get thee behind me GAS!
Old 04-28-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
Every year at NAMM I talk with Diane, one of the Women Anf Music designers with Martin, I've also talked with one of the custom order guys who worked on the series. They all love it and were disappointed it was a limited series. You should hear some of the stories Diane has about letters or emails from men wanting a new label for the inside so it doesn't say Women And Music! You can order a deep body from the custom shop and I think a few years back one of the signature models was a deep body 00. Just glad I've got mine. I've been playing it a lot lately, getting ready for a keynote presentation tomorrow night. I'll be singing 6 songs as part of my presentation. Loving the sound!
I believe it. The labels were torn out of mine when I got it. Guess I am secure in my masculinity so I wouldn't care if it was from Munchkins and Music series.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Saw Elderly has a used Martin 00-16DBR at the moment. 00 size, dreadnaught body depth, spruce and rosewood, slotted headstock on a 14 fret body.

These thing are pretty surprising when you play them. The small but deep body makes them sound bigger than they are.

No association, just posting because every time I mention mine, I get PM's from people wanting to buy it.

https://www.elderly.com/martin-00-16dbr-1998.htm
Have always liked these "Women In Music" Series. Very Nice Pieces, and that rosewood one, Oh Man! It's not gonna last long at the price they have it listed for. Would drive over there tomorrow if it had a 1 3/4" neck. Gonna be in there Monday or Tuesday next week will give it a looksee, if it's still hanging out.
Elderly always has nice things coming in. One of those shops you have to visit their website daily, or you'll miss out on some GAS. Some real nice guitars on their site in the last week.
Cheers!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgroovinmind View Post
Have always liked these "Women In Music" Series. Very Nice Pieces, and that rosewood one, Oh Man! It's not gonna last long at the price they have it listed for. Would drive over there tomorrow if it had a 1 3/4" neck. Gonna be in there Monday or Tuesday next week will give it a looksee, if it's still hanging out.
Elderly always has nice things coming in. One of those shops you have to visit their website daily, or you'll miss out on some GAS. Some real nice guitars on their site in the last week.
Cheers!
So...did you play it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion