The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-18-2021, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD Emerald X20 Artisan Short Scale

I bought a stock black X20 last August with the new design, pinless bridge, and 25 1/2" scale length, so I could get an experience of Emerald's quality, tone, and ergonomics, and wouldn't have to wait for a custom one. It's a really nice guitar, but I prefer a short scale like my RainSong and Martin, and so I ordered the special build.

Well my black X20 Artisan with a custom 24.875” scale length arrived yesterday! It's surprising what a difference 5/8" makes. I'm so glad I went for it, and also got the Anthem pickup upgrade.

I changed the 80/20 strings it ships with (too bright for me) with EJ 16 PBs, like I did with my standard scale X20, and it's got a nice, balanced, clear, warm sound, with plenty of bass. Compared to the 25 1/2" X20 (now back in its case), the sound is very similar. It's the perfect size for me, easier to play, and fits so well.

The look and finish of the two X20s are pretty much the same, with the exception of the bridge. Where the stock X20 has a black gloss bridge, my new one has an artistic, kind of op art look, that can be seen in the photo below.

Also included was a 1/8"+ diameter plastic tool, 5 1/2" long, and pointed on one end, which I assume is for holding the ball end of a string in place in the pinless bridge when changing strings. I already had something similar to use, and didn't see it until I looked in the compartment in the case.

Here's the photo Emerald sent. It's such a beauty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6550.jpg (62.4 KB, 197 views)
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-18-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
I bought a stock black X20 last August with the new design, pinless bridge, and 25 1/2" scale length, so I could get an experience of Emerald's quality, tone, and ergonomics, and wouldn't have to wait for a custom one. It's a really nice guitar, but I prefer a short scale like my RainSong and Martin, and so I ordered the special build.

Well my black X20 Artisan with a custom 24.875” scale length arrived yesterday! It's surprising what a difference 5/8" makes. I'm so glad I went for it, and also got the Anthem pickup upgrade.

I changed the 80/20 strings it ships with (too bright for me) with EJ 16 PBs, like I did with my standard scale X20, and it's got a nice, balanced, clear, warm sound, with plenty of bass. Compared to the 25 1/2" X20 (now back in its case), the sound is very similar. It's the perfect size for me, easier to play, and fits so well.

The look and finish of the two X20s are pretty much the same, with the exception of the bridge. Where the stock X20 has a black gloss bridge, my new one has an artistic, kind of op art look, that can be seen in the photo below.

Also included was a 1/8"+ diameter plastic tool, 5 1/2" long, and pointed on one end, which I assume is for holding the ball end of a string in place in the pinless bridge when changing strings. I already had something similar to use, and didn't see it until I looked in the compartment in the case.

Here's the photo Emerald sent. It's such a beauty!
Congrats! My dream guitar really, I've been requesting a stock model of a short scale X20 for years. My only caveat is that Emerald shortens the neck without pushing the bridge into the middle of the lower bout. Maybe Emerald had done this at some point and didn't like how it tuned the X20? They do it on the X7.

How would you say it compares to your CH-OM tonally?
Old 03-18-2021, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Great report to read....thank you and congrats on your new short scale !
Old 03-18-2021, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Congrats! My dream guitar really, I've been requesting a stock model of a short scale X20 for years. My only caveat is that Emerald shortens the neck without pushing the bridge into the middle of the lower bout. Maybe Emerald had done this at some point and didn't like how it tuned the X20? They do it on the X7.

How would you say it compares to your CH-OM tonally?
My RainSong's a 12 fret, so that complicates comparing the two guitars somewhat, and it’s a little thinner, but they have a similar tone and clarity. The X20 has a more full bass, which certainly could be due to the size difference, as well as the location of the Emerald’s offset sound hole. It also sounds very much like the stock 25 1/2” X20 I have. The main difference is that the short scale X20 is more comfortable for me to play. It’s got the exact same scale length as the RainSong, 24.875", as that was the spec I gave Kevin when I made the order.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 03-19-2021, 03:30 AM
Charter Member

Congrats

Really clever of Emerald to now include a tool to keep the ball end in place while restringing. That should solve the only issue with the pinless bridge design!
Old 03-19-2021, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Well my black X20 Artisan with a custom 24.875” scale length arrived yesterday! It's surprising what a difference 5/8" makes...
congratulations! a really beautiful guitar!
I'm waiting for a custom x20 too, but with an even shorter scale than yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
My only caveat is that Emerald shortens the neck without pushing the bridge into the middle of the lower bout. Maybe Emerald had done this at some point and didn't like how it tuned the X20? They do it on the X7.
probably my poor english does not allow me to understand well, let me understand better, please, from what I know the bridge is set back on the top only when it is a 12 frets
Old 03-19-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domen View Post
congratulations! a really beautiful guitar!
I'm waiting for a custom x20 too, but with an even shorter scale than yours.

probably my poor english does not allow me to understand well, let me understand better, please, from what I know the bridge is set back on the top only when it is a 12 frets
What you say is true, short scale guitars can be made in a few different configurations. I've seen them in configurations including 12, 13 and, in this case, 14 fret to body guitars. What I'm drawing attention to is that the tone of the instrument is most dramatically changed when the bridge is shifted into the middle of the lower bout- like in the case of RainSong's 12 fret offerings. Often this means reducing the amount of frets overall. The Emerald X7 does have that this feature and I'm curious what an X20 designed as such would sound like.

Did that make more sense?
Old 03-19-2021, 07:46 AM

Looks great man! I know what you mean about the short scale. Doesn't seem like that little difference in length would make much of a difference, but for fingerstyle, it really does. Congrats.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the upcharge to get a short scale?
Old 03-19-2021, 07:56 AM

Lovely guitar! Enjoy it!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-19-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new guitar - glad to hear the shorter scale works for you. My experience is similar with ordering a shorter scale X10 (24.6"). Comfortable to play and sounds great.

Enjoy!
Old 03-19-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Looks great man! I know what you mean about the short scale. Doesn't seem like that little difference in length would make much of a difference, but for fingerstyle, it really does. Congrats.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the upcharge to get a short scale?
It was $550 for the short scale.
Eastman T185MX
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Old 03-19-2021, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Looks awesome - many congrats an enjoy!
Martin Backpacker
Old 03-19-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was $550 for the short scale.
While you were changing the scale length, did you also change the neck profile at all? I'm wondering if that would have been an additional uncharge or if it's just a given price for a custom neck...

-Ray
Old 03-19-2021, 03:16 PM

All I know is that Alistair is a genius. Once a mold is made he doesn't need to do it again, but can charge a customization fee for building the next "same" guitar.

How cool is that? Emerald is the most forward thinking manufacturer on the planet. Great stuff!
Old 03-19-2021, 10:43 PM

Is that little plastic tool light brown? If so it comes with the Anthem, used for adjusting the little trim pots to balance the two pickups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber