The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-19-2016, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Recent Fender Article

Recent Fender article

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 11-19-2016, 09:32 AM

Let's just hope that, unlike Henry J., he possesses Leo's talent for being innovative without being irrelevant...
Old 12-05-2016, 07:10 AM

I had to chuckle at this:

"Roughly 90 percent of players who pick up a guitar for the first time abandon it in their first year and the 10 percent who stick with it often buy several guitars and commit to the instrument for life, according to Mooney."

"Often." "Several." Hehehe.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

While I like the CEO's passion for guitars, it bothers me that companies keep bringing in outsiders. This idea that someone who knows business is a better leader than someone who knows THE business.

JCPenney brought in a leader from Apple who didn't grow up in the department store world and failed. HP, Lands End, etc keep doing this.

It rarely seems to ever work.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
While I like the CEO's passion for guitars, it bothers me that companies keep bringing in outsiders. This idea that someone who knows business is a better leader than someone who knows THE business.

JCPenney brought in a leader from Apple who didn't grow up in the department store world and failed. HP, Lands End, etc keep doing this.

Yes it definitely can be a two edged sword. Sometimes a fresh new set of eyes can cut through confining cobwebs and sometimes the lack of "niche" savvy can be deleterious.
I am not sure whether it's a matter of "it rarely seems to work " or simply a matter of "success" less likely to hit the news , but I agree it will remain to be seen if it works for Fender.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-05-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Kind of like CBS buying an electric guitar company? ;-)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-05-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
It works for the managerial class taking ever-increasing salaries and bonuses.

If they weren't worth every dollar they wouldn't get paid, right? Right...?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
It works for the managerial class taking ever-increasing salaries and bonuses.

If they weren't worth every dollar they wouldn't get paid, right? Right...?
exactly......

Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 AM

I've been playing Fender electric guitars since the 1960's The new Telecaster I recently got is 1000 times better in tone and playability than any of my ancient models! Sometimes things get better.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
I've been playing Fender electric guitars since the 1960's The new Telecaster I recently got is 1000 times better in tone and playability than any of my ancient models! Sometimes things get better.
Agreed, no excuses these days for a badly built and/or sounding Fender instrument.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:42 PM

I spend about 6 months this year trying to buy a Fender Tele. Very frustrating. They have way too many models to decipher. It is like trying to choose toothpaste at Walmart. If I found the pickups I wanted, it came with a 7.25" fretboard radius, which I don't like. If it had the fretboard radius I liked, the neck was thin, or the pickups weren't great, or it had 6 saddle bridge. I was like a big frustrating puzzle. I played a lot of teles that were lousy guitars. I think the best one I played was a made in Mexico Baja model. I almost bought it.

I was impressed with the G & L's I played and the choices they offer on neck profile, fret board radius, and pick ups on the American series. Every one of them I played was set up great and played great. I didn't buy one, though.

I ended up buying a parts caster that plays better and has better pickups than any of the Fenders I played.

Fender has some work to do, in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
I spend about 6 months this year trying to buy a Fender Tele. Very frustrating. They have way too many models to decipher. It is like trying to choose toothpaste at Walmart. If I found the pickups I wanted, it came with a 7.25" fretboard radius, which I don't like. If it had the fretboard radius I liked, the neck was thin, or the pickups weren't great, or it had 6 saddle bridge. I was like a big frustrating puzzle. I played a lot of teles that were lousy guitars. I think the best one I played was a made in Mexico Baja model. I almost bought it.

I was impressed with the G & L's I played and the choices they offer on neck profile, fret board radius, and pick ups on the American series. Every one of them I played was set up great and played great. I didn't buy one, though.

I ended up buying a parts caster that plays better and has better pickups than any of the Fenders I played.

Fender has some work to do, in my opinion.
Yes, but in the end that's the beauty of Fender (ability to swap out parts) if you can't find something to suit. (Even though the player is spoilt for choice anyway in my opinion). And if that doesn't work, if you have the money you can also get Fender's Custom Shop to build you a guitar.

Last edited by Steel and wood; 12-06-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:58 AM

Yes... what S and W said. Make em like you want. I have never owned a stock Fender. I did own a stock G and L- nice guitar. Sold, though, as it was somewhat repetitive to other Fenders I owned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars