The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-11-2016, 07:33 PM

Default Question about 12 hole tie block

Hello,

I've just ordered and received a new classical guitar which has a 12 hole tie block. I wasn't aware that it had a 12 hole until I received it. I'm used to stringing guitars with standard 6 hole tie blocks.

Question for any of you who use 12 hole blocks: Must I burn the ends of the treble strings to make a "bubble" there in order to correctly use a 12 hole block? The videos that I've seen all seem to be of the opinion that you have to do that.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 10-11-2016, 09:03 PM

Melting a ball end on the trebles is not necessary if you tie them correctly.

Also, you can always use just six holes and tie them "the way old fashioned way".
Old 10-11-2016, 09:14 PM

Old 10-12-2016, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Riffmeister.
I personally like the 12 hole bridges for ease of attachment. (Absolutely no need to burn anything. )
Here's mine:

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 AM

Thanks. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to melt the ends of the trebles, but I don't understand one thing.

How are the ends of the trebles secured? I can see that the bass strings don't need anything special, but is there a loop in the trebles?

Thanks,

Louis
Old 10-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How are the ends of the trebles secured? I can see that the bass strings don't need anything special, but is there a loop in the trebles?
It's hard to tell from the pic, but there is (or I do) an additional loop on the treble strings i.e. the treble strings go through each hole exactly the same as the bass strings, but rather than cut them off after the first pass through as in the bass strings, you loop it through an additional time, and then cut the ends off.
It seems to help in preventing slip from the slinkier/smoother trebles and, ultimately, promotes a faster break-in period for the trebles, intonation wise.
At least that's the theory

- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

Old 10-12-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrandt View Post
Thanks. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to melt the ends of the trebles, but I don't understand one thing.

Thanks,

Louis
Trebles need one loop to secure them. As shown in the pictures above.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:13 AM

Thanks again. I guess that I now understand how you've secured the treble strings. I may just use the 12 hole block as a 6 hole, but maybe I'll at least experiment with the full 12. I just don't want to wind up with a string ding.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just don't want to wind up with a string ding.
Understandable, but that can happen with either option. Best to use a thin cloth or similar protection layer and snug it up tight to the bridge while you guide the string ends through and make your ties and loops.
I started doing that with this particular guitar because the bridge holes are fairly close to the top.

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 10-12-2016, 12:33 PM

Thanks. I use a guitar "bib" that I bought online. I works great, but I sometimes still worry about the possibility of a ding if I remove the bib too soon after I finish.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

This is the best video I've found for tying the knot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN5pGtNQpo0

-Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical