The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-30-2016, 01:27 AM

Default Michael Chapdelaine on Tone

http://www.michaelchapdelaine.com/great_tone.html
Old 10-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Interesting read. I learned similar things from Scott Tennant's "Pumping Nylon" and other books years ago. I've been "ramping" my nails ever since.

I'm not sure that I agree with every single thing Chapdelaine says in practice. For instance, it is possible to play pleasing, non-buzzy tones with a plectrum when one places it very carefully on the strings. One can even make it sound round and full (like fingerstyle) by increasing the angle of the pick as it strikes a string. It's not easy, but it's not "impossible" either.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Generally agree with Chapdelaine's points (though good flatpickers don't get a clicky sound). However he does not follow his own bit about nail length, at least not consistently and/or currently.

Quote:

"How do I get this great tone?" You are now wondering. Ok, here it is. And make no mistake, this is for all guitarists and not just for those eccentric classical players.
First you will need to shape your nails in a way that takes best advantage of the softness of the flesh and precision and hardness of the nail. The nail should protrude
about 1/16 – 1/8 of an inch beyond the fingertip, as viewed from the palm side of the hand."

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

So those of us who can't grow nails are doomed to remain toneless. It is reserved for the gifted few and the rest have to muddle along in the toneless world of "finger pickin'".

Dave
Old 10-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
So those of us who can't grow nails are doomed to remain toneless. It is reserved for the gifted few and the rest have to muddle along in the toneless world of "finger pickin'".

Dave
Michael doesnt "grow" nails, he uses acrylics (or similar). Everyone has that option. They may not be for everyone, but they can be a very effective tool. Nearly every steel string player i know of whose tone i admire uses artificial nails.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Michael doesnt "grow" nails, he uses acrylics (or similar). Everyone has that option. They may not be for everyone, but they can be a very effective tool. Nearly every steel string player i know of whose tone i admire uses artificial nails.
I am aware of the option of acrylic nails and I'm also aware of the many problems people experience with infections and other complications using them. From what I've read and heard you have to find a very good nail salon or you're likely screwed.

Dave
Old 10-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

If Chapdelaine followed what he recommended on that webpage ("about 1/16 – 1/8 of an inch beyond the fingertip") then most people would be able to maintain natural fingernails. Unless you have damaged fingernails, it is pretty easy to keep nails that short in good shape.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
I am aware of the option of acrylic nails and I'm also aware of the many problems people experience with infections and other complications using them. From what I've read and heard you have to find a very good nail salon or you're likely screwed.

Dave
Ive had them for 15 years, no issues, tho yes, some people report problems, as with anythng. There are other options, from fingerpicks, to products like "hard as nails"
Old 10-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
If Chapdelaine followed what he recommended on that webpage ("about 1/16 – 1/8 of an inch beyond the fingertip") then most people would be able to maintain natural fingernails. Unless you have damaged fingernails, it is pretty easy to keep nails that short in good shape.
that article was written for michaels freshman classcal players, 10 years ago, I'd guess, and i agree, at the length michael recommends, natural nails should be possible for most people. Michael probably experiments for his own needs. I just saw him at the santa barbara festival, but i didnt notice anything about his nails.

I thought i might run into you there, rick?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Definitely. Good tone, ease of play, sustainability and durability are all more easily achievable with short nails. Especially so for nylon strings. Short nails will also be a big help for nails that don’t grow ideally, i.e. with hooks and curves, or are not very hard.
The longer the nail the likelier they can get snagged or damaged. They can needlessly restrict ease of playing. Or grow with odd, non-linear, shapes. All bad.
If you do prefer long nails, i.e. 1/8th or longer, then acrylics or picks are likely the better way to go for tone and durability, unless you’re blessed with naturally very strong, and straight lined nails.
If Chapdelaine has nails that long these days he must be doing so for reasons that only pertain to him, and that's fine too. Whatever works to achieve desired tone and ease of playing.
But there’s just no need to grow long nails to play guitar. It has a lot more drawbacks than advantages.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-05-2016, 07:14 AM

I can't grow nails. You still need to have a good natural nail in order to even use the acrylic ones and I simply cannot do it due to a pesky little autoimmune disorder.

It hit me some time in my late 20's and I pretty much gave up playing classical guitar after that. I still pick one up once in a while. I recently came across this site that some one here on AGF pointed out:

https://rmclassicalguitar.com/

That offers some hope for those who don't want to or cannot play with nails.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 AM

I've been using my natural nails for years now on both classical and electric (flatwounds) with no problem.
I get what I consider to be excellent tone and volume, and my right-hand nails are quite short... I would guess no more than 1/8".

I don't "angle" them either... They essentially follow the contour of my fingers.

Now, I dont' play "classical guitar".... I'm into primarily fingerstyle jazz and much of my playing is chord-melody stuff where I'm striking 4-finger chords.
But it works for me.

And I think that's the operant thing...Everyone's fingers and hand position and style is just a little different... If it works for you you're golden.

I saw a guy on YouTube recently who was playing with VERY long nails, and used a very odd hand position with the fingers unnaturaly extended. Sounded OK...But I fear he's cruisin' for a bruisin' down the line in terms of tendonitis.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I saw a guy on YouTube recently who was playing with VERY long nails, and used a very odd hand position with the fingers unnaturaly extended. Sounded OK...But I fear he's cruisin' for a bruisin' down the line in terms of tendonitis.
Long nails ... odd hand position ...I trust you are not referring to Tony McManus?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:21 AM

Nope, this guy's position was even more extended than that, with the fingers almost straight.
Some euro street musician, as I recall.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
And I think that's the operant thing...Everyone's fingers and hand position and style is just a little different... If it works for you you're golden.
Indeed. I was thinking about Ed Gerhard in this thread. I think Ed's using shorter nails these days, but some years ago when I sat down with him and watched him up close, I was amazed at his nails and his technique. He had acrylics, and quite long. His hand motion was a bit unusual, and it seemed to me that he was almost bowing the strings as he pulled his long nails sort of out of the strings. Its useful to know what others do, but in the end, it's whatever works for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical