The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-15-2016, 10:09 AM

Talking looking for another classical guitar

as i am in a transition period, i am searching for another classical guitar,
as my G-10 sounds good, but is pretty old
i really liked the Kenny Hill guitars, made here in the SF BayArea locally, i played them at last spring's guitar event. their New World (chinese)
guitars sounded pretty good also, but i am pretty much sold on locally made Kenny Hill, although somewhat pricey
my guitar instructor also mentioned Kenny.

i have played Spanish Cordobas and MRamerez, but so far havent changed my mind.

any other brands or luthiers that i should have a look at??

all comments are welcome
z
2012 Taylor 814CE TB
2010 Martin D-18GE sunburst
2004 Martin 000-28EC
2005 Fender Telecaster Am Std
1963 Goya G-10
Old 09-15-2016, 12:58 PM

For me the most important thing has been to be able to play a guitar before buying to see if it fits and how it sounds to my ears. I would never have thought of buying the guitar I own now (a Gutmeier) until I sat down adn played it against dozens of other guitars - it's longer scale than I thought I'd be comfortable with and way more expensive than I wanted to pay, even used. However after playing it I realised I probably wouldn't be happy with anything else, so it came home with me. So play as many guitars as you can get your hands on and buy the one that speaks to you!
Old 09-15-2016, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like you're on the right track. It's hard to do better than the Kenny Hill stuff value-wise if you're looking at American-made classicals. Though there are some other small shop luthiers out there that are very fairly priced. I've been gearing-up to order a Johnny Walker flamenco (blanca with cutaway) at some point in the not-too-distant future. A big driving force in that preference is him sharing the same name as me.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:48 PM

I just test drove about 12-15 high end guitars at Hearts' Home Guitars in Boerne Texas (near San Antonio). Generally these ranged in price from $4900 to $9500. All of these were steel strings...BUT

I have a Ramirez 4E so I had something to bounce a classical sound against...

After all that I asked to see a Nunez classical (made in San Antonio). After all of the other guitars I can't even tell you the woods I think that one is Spruce/Indian Rosewood...It had phenomenal sound for a new guitar. If I just didn't have my 4E...

Even better than the sound -- the price. It had a tag $3500. This guitar needs to find a good home.

Talk to Aaron Patterson. Tell him David Rock said go buy it!
Old 09-21-2016, 02:03 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rock View Post
I just test drove about 12-15 high end guitars at Hearts' Home Guitars in Boerne Texas (near San Antonio). Generally these ranged in price from $4900 to $9500. All of these were steel strings...BUT

I have a Ramirez 4E so I had something to bounce a classical sound against...

After all that I asked to see a Nunez classical (made in San Antonio). After all of the other guitars I can't even tell you the woods I think that one is Spruce/Indian Rosewood...It had phenomenal sound for a new guitar. If I just didn't have my 4E...

Even better than the sound -- the price. It had a tag $3500. This guitar needs to find a good home.

Talk to Aaron Patterson. Tell him David Rock said go buy it!
hi all
thx for the comments
z
2012 Taylor 814CE TB
2010 Martin D-18GE sunburst
2004 Martin 000-28EC
2005 Fender Telecaster Am Std
1963 Goya G-10

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical