The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2014, 10:03 PM

Default JJB preamp suggestion

I recently installed a JJB pickup in a little Loar guitar. I love the tone but need to get a preamp with an XLR out on a limited budget. A mute, volume adjustment and simple eq is also important but I also prefer the setup to be simple.
I need to keep the total cost under $200.

I have been considering the following:
Archangel x7
Tonebone PZ deluxe
K&K XLR Preamp

I've used an Orchid Muting DI previously with a K&K mini and really liked it but would like a little more adjustability.
If anyone can share some thoughts, experience, etc. I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!!
Chris
Old 11-29-2014, 10:07 PM

I'm having my JJB installed Monday. So, I ordered the Ultrasound DI Max and Six Strin* Gui*ar agreed to match the Djan*o price of $135 shipped. And, it's in stock there. I wanted it because the price was right for a 2 channel DI with preamp.

I can't comment on use as I don't have it yet.

All the best!

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 11-29-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarclay View Post
I recently installed a JJB pickup in a little Loar guitar. I love the tone but need to get a preamp with an XLR out on a limited budget. A mute, volume adjustment and simple eq is also important but I also prefer the setup to be simple.
I need to keep the total cost under $200.
You could probably pick upa JR Baggs Para Acoustic for about much. It's like the K&K XLR but has more controls like notch filters, which can be handy. And you can change the battery without a screwdriver.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:09 AM

the Redeye preamp works excellently with the JJB pickups.
Highly recommend it if it is in your price range. AGF sponsor Shoreline Music is an excellent source.
davidc
Old 11-30-2014, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarclay View Post
…I have been considering the following:
Archangel x7
Tonebone PZ deluxe
K&K XLR Preamp
Hi Chris...

Any decent preamp is better than no preamp. I mix a lot of K&K Pure mini pickups which are similar for live work (mine and those in about a dozen other player's guitars).

Their preamps are all over the board (make and model) and they all sound great and are pretty easy to set up. If they show up without one, I'm either going to throw them into an UltraDI Max, or ParaDI, or a Raven PMB. Interestingly, not one of the locals who use them have/use a K&K Preamp.

The Baggs Venue preamp is similar to the PZ deluxe, and both sound great for live play and have a mute. I prefer the Venue. Neither are found new for $200. Both can be found used for in the $225 range (Dec 2014).

I've used a RedEye but don't like the lack of full tone controls. It was ok, but just wouldn't pull you out of trouble spots in venues where troubles develop.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-30-2014, 08:02 AM

Chris,
I have ArchAngel X7 for sale in the "For Sale" part of this forum.
RB
Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

I'm using a K&K Pure XLR with my JJB guitars and it works great. Jesse must announced a week or so ago that he's going to be releasing an new JJB preamp in th next few weeks and it should be in the $100 range. Strongly considering picking one up because it looks like a really simple setup.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-30-2014, 12:12 PM

I've found the best sound with the Tonebone PZ-Deluxe with my K&K equipped guitars. However all the commercially available preamps that I've tried work well. The simplest would be the Fire Eye Dee-Eye which is, essentially, an active DI that works really well with passive piezo transducers like the K&K and it fits in your pocket.

What else are you plugging into, PA, amplifier??
Old 12-01-2014, 11:11 PM

Hey guys, I'm sorry for my delay in my response! I do not have access to my old work email which is connected to my account here. Gotta change that somehow.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses! I got to talking to my father-in-law this past weekend when he was in town for the holiday and he had some ideas. He's a hobbiest tube amp builder and has a lot of experience with a lot of designs. He's offered to look into making a tube preamp sort of thing for me. He made an amp for me previously that my guitar sounds amazing with. I'd use that for my needs but I just don't want to carry that heavy thing around. He's asking the guys on the amp building forum he's a mod on for some thoughts on a design he's worked up. I'll be sure to post more info as things progress.

To answer a few questions...I play semi weekly through a PA at my church. It's a fairly basic setup - XLR straight to the board.

Again, thanks!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:35 AM

Yep, I do the same. EET is my education background and more my hobby now. I was looking into exactly the same thing for myself (for my new JJB pickup). Getting that input impedance is fairly easy. Preferably, you want the tube supply at least 50V or higher. You can do it with less, but what's the point? Might as well use JFETS or similar.

I opted for the pre-built solid-state model because, 1- unless you use state-of-the-art switching techniques (entirely doable), the power supply becomes a little cumbersome and, before you know it...the whole piece is weightier than you want if on a pedalboard. 2- sonically, you won't gain as much difference than you think at the lower voltage levels, and, lastly, when I can buy the DI Max for $135 to my door...it just wasn't worth my time (at least right now).

Will I do one? Probably so at some point. Just to "do it". And, to see what kind of package I can put it into. But, when I design the one I want, a tonestack will be part of it...and possibly some other things. I actually have all the parts I need to do it...but, it became a rather large piece because I'm hitting the 250V level for my B+. For that, I found a small toroid that will produce it and fit nicely and securely in the case.

Another stop point for me was safety. No matter how careful you are...an amp stays stationary and is large enough we usually take extra care. A pedal isn't always subject to the same lack of care. It takes good bit of work to work out a pre that will withstand rigors...dissipate the heat, but still be safe to use on a pedalboard (if that's where you put it.)

But, if you plan on a tube pre that operates down at the 48V and less B+...it's VERY doable with smaller power supplies and much safer when constructing! Let us know how that works out!

Old 12-04-2014, 11:22 PM

Update on the DI Max...

I just got my guitar back from some setup (and had him install the pickup at same time). I found that my local GC carried the Mogami Gold TRS-TRS 10' cable. (Yes, it was pricey, but I wanted a nice cable when sending two pickup signals thru it side by side.)

The JJB was attached to the F1 Analog 1/4 ring. Thus, the JJB was routed to one channel on the DI max and the Analog went into the other. No discernible crosstalk noise...it worked amazingly well. I do like the effect of mixing the F1 and the JJB...I get a nice palette of tones to use.

The Di Max seems fairly versatile and transparent. Anyone else with comments on it?

Cheers!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmicko View Post
Jesse must announced a week or so ago that he's going to be releasing an new JJB preamp in the next few weeks and it should be in the $100 range.
I hope he fixes one of the glaring drawbacks of the PURE preamps, which is that you need a screwdriver to change the battery. A proper battery case might add $5 to the manufacturing costs, which would probably translate to a $15 increase in price, but it would be worth it, IMHO.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

+1 any decent preamp

I've got the JJB 220 p/u installed on an okay >not great< little Wechter all-mahogany travel guitar. When I'm on the road I bring along an older, never-had-a-problem Fishman Pro-EQ II, which gives you a boost and basics = volume, cut or boost B-M-T, brilliance, + a phase switch, 1/4" input & output. Solid preamp, small footprint, light, fits in the outside pocket of guitar gigbag along with other accessories. When I can find an open mic near the motel I always get nice remarks on the sound which, again, is just a cheap guitar (cause I don't like to stress about my guitar when I travel.)

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification