The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2014, 09:12 PM

Default THR5a or THR10c???

Hello!

I'm very new to amplification, so I'm sorry if I'm missing some kind of basic knowledge.

I'm about to purchase one of the THR series amps. Having a tough time deciding which one I should get. I was originally going to get the THR5a because I only have my GS Mini to use, however it doesn't have settings like crunch and what not.

I'd like my GS Mini to be sort of like a Hollowbody when plugged in, since I mainly play blues. I'm interested in the settings of the THR10c for that reason.

I suppose the question then is, do I get the THR5a so I can have that beautiful acoustic sound when I want it, and then get my distortion/fuzz or whatever from pedals? Or do I just get THR10c so it's more of an electric amp, and just use the one Acoustic setting on the amp when I want a pure acoustic tone?
I'd like to start experimenting with pedals as well. Thinking of picking up the small VOX Stomplab or something similar. Small and portable, with a bunch of settings I can fool around on. I'm also hopefully going to pick up a looper, and start experimenting with that.

I move around/travel a lot, so portability is very important to me. I'm from Canada but live in Australia and move around every 3-4 months as an example.

Thank you!

Chris
Old 12-03-2014, 07:11 PM

I has a THX5A for a while. it has a great sound but not very loud. Its OK for practice and using some of the built in effects - chorus, reverb, compression,etc - but not for using in a band setting. Play with one in the store if you can. I ended up using mine as a boom box since you can plug an MP3 player into it and get an awesome sound. I traded it for some other gear
Old 12-03-2014, 08:23 PM

I use mostly the acoustic, flat, and clean settings for acoustic guitars on the THR10c. My favorite setting is flat with light reverb. The 5A doesn't have the
10c's volume control for the aux input which is a very nice way to blend backing tracks/drums, etc. I use the THR10c at home and it sounds great for both electric and acoustic guitars. I play 80% unamplified acoustic so it really nice to have a very small amp that you can tuck away until you need it. Leaves more room for guitars.
Rainsong Shorty
Goodall parlor cocobolo/German
Gibson J-45TV
New World Fingerstyle crossover
Old 12-04-2014, 12:07 AM

THR series amps are all great..in that case, i think you'd better have the THR5a.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:44 PM

Just a suggestion... several of my buddies have the little Yamaha modelling amps, nice for practice but not much else. For 1/2 the cost, you should take a look at the Fender Mustang I v.2... twice the amp for half the price.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification