The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Best pickup for a HV GS Mini??

Hello!

I've been getting super frustrated thinking/researching this for weeks now. Everytime I feel like I've made my choice, some other thing comes up. I'd like to just get it over with and pick one, but I really don't want to have to "upgrade" down the line.

Some pickups I've been considering: Anything by LR Baggs, MiniFelx model 1, JJB Electronics, Peterman Acoustics, K&K (although, for some reason. I don't feel like installing K&K.)

I've thought about this, a lot. I'm pretty sure this is what I want.

- I'm realistically not going to be playing live shows, jamming in a full band - If I were to reach that point, I'll probably get another guitar. Most likely electric.
- I would like to treat this thing as if it were kind of a Hollowbody guitar when plugged in. But also be able to get a nice acoustic sound out of it if I wanted to.
- I plan to pair it with one of the Yamaha THR amps. I want this pickup/amp combo to inspire and influence me. I've felt so stale with my guitar playing for months now (and hit this wall a few times over the last few years) and I feel experimenting with amplification is going to blow open the doors, so to speak.
- I travel a lot. Constantly moving around. (hence the GS Mini) I'm originally from Canada, but now living in Australia. So I need something reliable and hopefully a one time buy.
- I'm willing to drop about $300 on a pickup system, but would definitely prefer $200 or below. I don't mind used.

I just want something thats going to sound good. Hopefully not needing a preamp afterwards, because thats just more money. Hopefully not many issues with feedback and I'd like to be able to use it with pedals (not many, just 2 or 3). This is just going to be for sitting at home and improvising. Jamming with myself using a looper (finally!) and writing/experimenting - fleshing out song ideas.

Hopefully that kinda helps more with what I'm looking for. As a reference for guitar sounds I really like - here's some bands that influence me, and I love the guitar sounds.

- Sheepdogs, (early) Black Keys, anything by Jack White, Shakey Graves, Father John Misty, Sam Roberts Band, Mac Demarco, Tame Impala, Beck, Jake Bugg.. you get the idea.

Thank you!

Chris
Old 11-29-2014, 08:08 PM

Welcome to the forum!!

I have the K&K in my HV GS Mini (and all my other guitars) and find that it works well for a pretty natural acoustic sound. However, if you want it to behave more like a hollow body electric you might look at a magnetic soundhole pickup like the LR Baggs M1A or one of the Fishman models. They'll let you do some things like getting a bit of distortion without so much feedback
Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I don't need the pickup to sound like a hollowbody exactly, I was going to get a little THR amp and some pedals for processing. So as long as the pickup can be paired with pedals and get overdriven and what not I'll be happy.

Just want something that I can have a nice acoustic tone, but also overdrive it with pedals or effects on an amp.

Think Jack White's acoustic tone on certain songs in the White Stripes. He's probably my biggest inspiration.

http://youtu.be/6xpN6rsKpNU

Love his guitar on this song. I know he's playing a hollowbody, but I'd like to be able to get that sort of tone. I know he's done it with acoustic guitars, I just can't find a specific video. Love how it switches back to clean(ish) to hard distortion/fuzz/octave pedal. Thats the type of thing I would like to be able to (eventually) do. It may not work perfectly with this setup I'm creating, but I'd like just to be able to fool around with that sort of thing and get used to playing with pedals.

Last edited by Nelsonmusic; 11-29-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:05 PM

Any recommendations of pickups + pedals + amp, is welcome!! As long as its not too expensive, portable, and will work with an acoustic guitar; thats all I need!

Thank you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification