The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 AM

If one is recording, then the way to go is with a mic. No pickup gives true acoustic fidelity. On stage, whatever minute difference one perceives in cables (I think it's marketing snake oil, personally) will be lost on 99.9% of your audience.

I buy bulk Mogami or Canare cable, Neutrik connectors, and cobble my own. They last for years.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
I was recently introduced to the tonal difference cables can make. Looking at my rig, I observed potential lack of quality in my cables. I bought some bargain cables when I was starting out and putting equipment together.

Now, a little more experienced and hoping to fine tune my setup, I'd like to begin upgrading cables. These cables will interconnect between my multi effects board , mixer, amps, and/or powered speakers. I don't need more than 20' runs.

I know cables can run the gamut in price, but I need practical/ affordable results. Here are some options I'm reviewing than are comfortably in my budget:

Planet Waves Custom Series
Planet Waves American Stage
Mogami Silver
Monster Classic

Am I looking at good cables that are an improvement and in the realm of good performers and good "bang for the buck"?

Or,

Are the higher end cables so much better that I should I be looking higher and spread purchases out?
Hi Turp

I'm in the camp that high end cables don't make that much difference in tone. I've been using George L for all my mono cables for years. My gigging partner and I bought 100 feet of George L cable and a bunch of ends and built our own.

They are solder-less and can be repaired in a heartbeat on site. That said, in the last 9 years we've only had one go out at a gig, and it was back up and running in a couple minutes.

They don't do TRS or XLR so it's only the ¼" cables which we use that are George L. The expensive part of a George L is the ends, which are about $6-7 each. So patch cables are nearly as expensive as amp cables.

We have both the thin and thick cable versions. I like the thin ones because I can wind a 15 foot long cable and put it in the pick drawer of my case, with room to spare for capos, tuners etc. I like the thick ones for durability on active stages.

For my TRS I've been using Whirlwind cables since 2004, and they all still work, never had a loose connection and have never needed a repair. Since I use dual source rigs with my acoustic guitars (internal mic plus pickup) the TRS is necessary.

If I recall properly I've never paid over $30 for a cable since we built our George L's, but I'd gladly pay the retail price for them if I needed to. They are the most reliable cables I've ever used.

I want to like the circuit breaker cables, but my friends who tried them tell me theirs broke in less than 2 years of not-that-frequent use.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-17-2014, 03:54 PM

I've used Planet Waves, Monster, Mogami, and Live Wire Elite from Guitar Center. Reason being, these cables have lifetime warranties from GC, and if I have any issues with any of these cables, I can always take it to Guitar Center, and have them exchange for another cable...no questions asked.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 11-17-2014, 04:22 PM

Fabricate and repair my own cables using good quality cable and connectors (usually Neutriks). The times I've had any issues it was due to contamination on the plug causing a poor connection and a wipe down with a paper towel dampened with a squirt of DeOxit usually was the fix. Jack connections get a similar treatment with a dampened cotton swab Q-Tip.

This is handy tester to have that won't break the bank......
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CT100.aspx

Never just bring one cable with you. Always have an extra as backup
Old 11-17-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
I like lavacable.com I use the ELC for my mono cables.
I use and love lava cables on my pedalboard for patch cables that don't need reinforcement chucks to prevent damage if the cable is tugged from the jack. I love the compactness of their jacks, really helps when stuffing pedals side by side on the pedalboard.

With that being said, I wouldn't use lava cables for my instruments. When gigging 3-4 times per week, there really just isn't time to be gentle with the cables. The neutrik connectors are built like a tank and there's a reason why they've become the industry standard.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
As a retired electrical engineer I find the premium cable market largely a marketing rip-off. There are so many variables not controlled and unavoidable placebo effects,...
I tend to agree with this. I would choose more based on durability, etc. I seem to remember Mix magazine or something had a great piece a while back with a bunch of well known audio engineers listening blind to high end cables VS the wire from close hangers, and some wires from an old lamp... no one could tell the difference.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
I use and love lava cables on my pedalboard for patch cables that don't need reinforcement chucks to prevent damage if the cable is tugged from the jack. I love the compactness of their jacks, really helps when stuffing pedals side by side on the pedalboard.

With that being said, I wouldn't use lava cables for my instruments. When gigging 3-4 times per week, there really just isn't time to be gentle with the cables. The neutrik connectors are built like a tank and there's a reason why they've become the industry standard.
joeguam, the jacks on the lavacable patch cables are different than those on the longer cables. The plugs on the longer ones are much more robust
that's me on guitar
Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
I like lavacable.com I use the ELC for my mono cables.
Never tried a Lava but my next one will be a Lava. Overwhelmingly positive reviews.

I have not had good luck with Monster.

The Fenders cables with the white ends have also been great so far, sound good and are durable. I was surprised.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:45 AM

Visit www.redco.com. If you aren't comfortable making your own cables they will make them for you to your specifications. Great stuff and good prices.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
I've used Planet Waves, Monster, Mogami, and Live Wire Elite from Guitar Center. Reason being, these cables have lifetime warranties from GC, and if I have any issues with any of these cables, I can always take it to Guitar Center, and have them exchange for another cable...no questions asked.
Don't be sure, I read someone's post (maybe here) where they took an old-style Monster Cable back to GC, and that style was no longer offered, so the guy was out of luck.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-18-2014, 08:21 AM

I used George L cables extensively and with good success both as short pedal connectors and as guitar to amp cables. I switched to Planet Waves American stage for my guitar to amp cables a few years back to help with stage clutter. The George L's don't lay well on stage. The Planet Waves cables have worked well. They lay on stage and coil and uncoil well. Good jacks and low capacitance cable/connectors. Sturdy jackets and easy to clean. I have had no issues with them. I have bought more and will buy more if needed.

Not everyone loves low capacitance cables so if you are switching from a >15' cable with high capacitance to one with low capacitance or a much shorter cable, you can expect to hear a little more high end. You may or may not like that.

hunter
Old 11-18-2014, 08:32 AM

I like the Livewire Elite series. They're made well and they have a replacement guarantee (which I've never had to use).

I won't use Monster or Rapco cables anymore. They're not built as well.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:15 AM

I run EWI cables from Audiopile.net on just about everything I use.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Mi...cutsheet.shtml

kwh
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 11-18-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Don't be sure, I read someone's post (maybe here) where they took an old-style Monster Cable back to GC, and that style was no longer offered, so the guy was out of luck.
I had the Mogami platinum 20ft guitar cable. Used it for 5 or 6 yrs. straight. Then the connector broke. I took it back to guitar center and mine was the old style. They balked some but had to replace it. $165 guitar cable. Absolutely the best cable out there and you can hear the difference. Many pro players use it.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:59 PM

+1 for George L's. I've been using them for many years - very clear sound, thin, light, easy to make/fix/modify (wire cutters and a screwdriver and you're a cable-maker/modifier), and durable.

I use them for electric and acoustic instruments and they've never failed to give me good tone.

YMMV, etc.

I love acoustic guitars !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification