The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Default what is the consensus on laminated sides and/or back?

hello

I would like to know your thoughts on laminated back and sides.

i have seen them for sale in this store :

http://www.gitaarbouwwinkel.nl/index...-en-achterblad

is it concidered crap?

It wont have the sound of a full piece of wood of that species since its probably a thin veneer on a (possibly cheaper) different kind of wood.

Last edited by littlesmith; 10-09-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:48 PM

It will never crack that's one thing for sure. Personally I have no issue with it other than it has a reputation for being cheap but in reality it's not. I use laminated back and sides on Selmer guitars as it's traditional. I'd like to try one out of solid wood some day to see if there is a difference. I'm sure there is but that doesn't necessarily mean it's any better.

Heck I've even built double top guitars which are essentially laminated top guitars. It all depends on how you do it but I think a laminated back and side guitar with a well braced top can be just as good as anything else.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:00 PM

yeah i think some cheap companys use it to cut costs, and that might be giving it a bad name... there are even plywood crap things

if done right,maybe it could even give an extra control over the tone you want by choosing/making your own wood mix
Old 10-09-2014, 04:01 PM

There is no consensus on laminated sides. Some top quality classical guitars have laminated sides. Fewer top quality steel sting guitars have laminated sides in my knowledge, but I may be off on this point.

The main thought behind laminated sides is that by providing a more solid base upon which to vibrate, the guitar will waste less energy and focus more energy towards vibrating the Soundboard.

I personally don't build with laminated sides, since I think it best to avoid any extra glue in the instrument.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

i've seen all laminate guitars crack - my friend rob had 2 of them crack during dry weather.

i've played some decent sounding lam b&s guitars, including the seagull original S6, which sounds good. and i definitely agree with Ned Milburn that there's no consensus to be had.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

There are two kinds of laminated sides, one is essentially plywood(one layer of nice outside wood and inside layer/layers of cheap wood) and then there's the other case of 1 mm of good wood laminated to another 1 mm of good wood of the same or different species. The advantage to the latter version is stiffness, purely. The stiffer side philosophy says it doesn't take away from the resonance of the body. Can't say I agree, but that's what the argument is. All of that said, I don't know any guitar manufacturers that really use the "laminated side" philosophy that aren't essentially using the plywood version to produce a less expensive product, not better. To a luthier, laminated sides are not only more time consuming, but also more expensive to produce, so they are coming at it from a totally different perspective.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
There are two kinds of laminated sides, one is essentially plywood(one layer of nice outside wood and inside layer/layers of cheap wood) and then there's the other case of 1 mm of good wood laminated to another 1 mm of good wood of the same or different species. The advantage to the latter version is stiffness, purely. The stiffer side philosophy says it doesn't take away from the resonance of the body. Can't say I agree, but that's what the argument is. All of that said, I don't know any guitar manufacturers that really use the "laminated side" philosophy that aren't essentially using the plywood version to produce a less expensive product, not better. To a luthier, laminated sides are not only more time consuming, but also more expensive to produce, so they are coming at it from a totally different perspective.
Yup exactly. In fact so far I've purchased my side and back sets pre laminated for the Selmer guitars because I just don't have the equipment to do it yet. Once I do I can only imagine the process will take longer then just bending solid sides. So yeah, in a way, the laminated side guitars from a luthier shop should be more expensive if anything.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:02 PM

Boulder Creek guitars has the philosophy of solid top and back with laminated sides for strength. If done right I subscribe to this way of thinking
Old 10-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Some of the best builders in the world use double sides.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair