The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-22-2014, 08:56 AM

Default FG340 fingerboard

I just bought a Yamaha FG340 and it sounds great. It has seen a lot of use though, and the fingerboard has some deep gouges at the first 3 frets.
Also the first few frets are well worn.
What is the best way to address this - a new fingerboard and frets? And is it something I could attempt myself? I am reasonably proficient in wood working.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 AM

Can't answer that without seeing the instrument. Might just need a level,crown and polish of the frets. It may be that the first few frets need replaced or a complete refret may be in order. The divots can be filled with any of these options but depending on the wood species of the fret board that may not look all that great. With a total refret the board can be sanded at the proper radius to remove most if not all of the divots. There may be other options but again I have not seen the guitar. Along with the fretwork you may also need a new nut and if going a total refret the neck angle should be assessed for need of a re-set.

None of this would be advised as a first attempt at guitar repair unless you are willing to sacrifice a nice guitar for the knowledge.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM

Replacing the first three to five frets is pretty straightforward, measure the frets and order online, but replacing the entire fretboard is a much bigger job. As to the fretboard divots;

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...boardivot.html

see what you think of this.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Replacing the first three to five frets is pretty straightforward, measure the frets and order online, but replacing the entire fretboard is a much bigger job. As to the fretboard divots;

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...boardivot.html

see what you think of this.
I've done this a lot and it works great. The biggest issue is that sometimes the filled areas have a different sheen than the surrounding board. I've learned to go back over those areas with a little bit coarser sandpaper to even it out. So if I sand the board with 220, i might lightly touch up the filled areas with 120.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:32 AM

Ok, I think I will try it on a cheap guitar first. The Yamaha is a bit too special it.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

A hunk of Rosewood, a hunk of Ebony. Both for sanding "dust stock". Make a pile of dust with the rosewood, mix with super glue. Fill in the divot. Dry/harden. Then a razor thorugh the wound to make erratic lines. Ad ebony mixed with super glue. Sand in stages till polished and it is likely invisible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair