The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Default What is a natural-sounding, small (portable) acoustic amp?

Hello,

I am putting a K&K mini pickup into my son's guitar. He already has an amp that he uses for his electric guitar - it's a Line 6 Spider amp. I'm thinking that's better suited to an electric guitar than an acoustic guitar, but if you feel differently let me know.

What amp would be good for a natural sound? I prefer under $250, and not too heavy to transport easily.

Thanks.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 01-24-2014, 04:02 PM

There are a few threads here about small acoustic amps. Seems lots to choose from for right around your figure and I'm sure many will be chiming in with their opinions.

I keep hearing lots of great things about the UltraSound DS4 which can be had for $389 and would be something "I" would be seriously looking into if "I" were in the market for a quality natural sounding amp.

I use a small PA so I don't have any personal experience with any.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:09 PM

For acoustic guitar I LOVE my ZT Lunchbox Acoustic amp.

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/products..._acoustic.html
Old 01-24-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
For acoustic guitar I LOVE my ZT Lunchbox Acoustic amp.

http://www.ztamplifiers.com/products..._acoustic.html
Where is the price on this website?
Old 01-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
Hello,

I am putting a K&K mini pickup into my son's guitar. He already has an amp that he uses for his electric guitar - it's a Line 6 Spider amp. I'm thinking that's better suited to an electric guitar than an acoustic guitar, but if you feel differently let me know.

What amp would be good for a natural sound? I prefer under $250, and not too heavy to transport easily.

Thanks.
Before he goes and get an amp (or you go and get one), you should think about and tell us what he wants to do with it. I assume that you're installing the K&K because he needs to amplify the guitar for some reason. Letting us know what that reason is will help is give you some more specific and useful information about what kind of acoustic combo amp to get, or even if such an amp is really the best thing or an adequate thing for your purposes.

Louis
Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 PM

If you can find one, the Mountain is a really great sounding amp that runs on a 9V battery. Very attractive solid wood cabinets, most were maple but I got prototype in koa. Really surprising how good they are, worth seeking out as they stopped making them several years ago.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks.
Hi bho...

I owned a ZT-Lunchbox and sold it to a classical player. It's useless for vocals, underpowered, and gets lost in a mix of 3 players.

I recommend the UltraSound AG-15M (note the M) which is a smaller sibling to the UltraSound AG-50. Same 8" coax, two channels (one XLR the other ¼"), three way tone plus presence control, and a patch bay built in.

I've seen them at Elderly (not currently available 1-24-14) and Full Compass (ready to ship in 1-2 weeks).

The single channel ¼" only version (AG-15) can be had for $129. I use one of these for small gigs in place of my larger AG-50. The single channel model is readily available at a lot of places.

Plenty of power and volume. The three way tone plus presence control is very good. Basically the same weight class as the ZT-Lunchbox, but more power and better tone.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-24-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Guest 728

Ultrasound AG30. Inexpensive, transparent, light weight.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks.
Before he goes and get an amp (or you go and get one), you should think about and tell us what he wants to do with it. I assume that you're installing the K&K because he needs to amplify the guitar for some reason. Letting us know what that reason is will help is give you some more specific and useful information about what kind of acoustic combo amp to get, or even if such an amp is really the best thing or an adequate thing for your purposes.

Louis
Hi,

He has no specific plans though at the rate he's going I can see him performing at local events with friends.

Best.

Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
Old 12-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi,

He has no specific plans though at the rate he's going I can see him performing at local events with friends.

Best.
Since this post, I have performed on stage with a band consisting of a drummer, keyboards, vocalists, and electric guitar! So, an amp that can work for an intimate setting as well as in the mix of a band.

Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
Old 12-02-2014, 04:48 PM

The Carvin AG200 meets all your stated needs, except the price:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/AG200

- OUTPUT POWER: 8 Ohms: 200w, 4 Ohms: 250w
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: +/- 1 dB 20 Hz - 20 kHz amplifier section
- OUTPUT MODE: 94% efficiency CLASS D technology
- POWER SUPPLY: high frequency switching
- INPUT IMPEDANCE: CH1 & CH2: >100Kohms or >500K ohms (switched)
- PHANTOM POWER: +48V (Ch. 1 & 2)
- GAIN SWITCH: +10 dB - accommodates all pickups (Ch. 1 & 2)
- LO & HI TONE CONTROLS: +/-12 dB at 70 Hz & +/-12 dB at 8.5kHz
- MID Parametric: +/- 15 dB sweepable 100 to 2kHz
- AMP LIMITER: built-in to the help prevent clipping
- DIRECT OUT: adjustable OFF to +4dBu, DC isolated XLR bal output, 100ohm ground lifted
- EFFECTS LOOP: -10dBV, buffered
- FS22 FOOTSWITCH: EFF 1 & EFF 2 on/off
- PROTECTION: speakers, over current, under voltage, thermal
- AC VOLTAGE: 90-250V, 50-60 Hz - Power Requirements: 100VA
- CIRCUIT BOARDS are MIL SPEC, double sided, FR-4 glass epoxy
- DIMENSIONS: 18.5" high x 11.5" deep x 12.75" wide (470 x 290 x 325mm)
- NET WEIGHT: 26.1 lbs. net (11.85 kgs)
- WARRANTY: 1 year parts and labor
- MADE IN THE USA

Old 12-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
The Carvin AG200 meets all your stated needs, except the price...snip...
IMO, because of speaker voicing and input impedance, I think an acoustic amp makes a very big difference, so I would recommend that you get one.

In terms of which to get, I'll probably have rotten vegetables thrown at me for recommending a Behringer product, but I have a Behringer ACX450 (right in your price range: $230) and it performs quite nicely with my Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Folk that is equipped with a K&K Pure Mini.

Moreover, although I have a Baggs Para DI pre-amp, the Pure Mini sounds great going directly into the Behringer. So, no pre-amp will be needed. If it matters, vocals (through a Heil PR-22 mic) also sound just fine through the ACX450.

Interestingly, although the Behringer performs just fine for rehearsal/practice, I plan to start playing out after the first of the year, and plan to upgrade amps to the Carvin AG200 ($400) at that time!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification