The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-13-2001, 08:29 AM

Post Great Fingerstyle Instruction Books

A while back Mapletrees and others were talking about a couple of good fingerstyle instruction books by Mark Hanson, The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking & The Art of Solo Fingerpicking. I bought these books and have worked my way thru the first one so feel qualified to give you a review.
First, let me say when I ordered the books I ordered them from the website, www.accentonmusic.com one afternoon and they came in the mail the next day! Wow, fast service! Both books come with CD's so you can hear what the excersises and songs are supposed to sound like (and play along).
As with any instructional book, it depends on your level of playing when you start on it as to how helpful it is to you. I had been playing fingerstyle for a couple of years, but entirely self taught. The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking has been a great help to me by giving me a dose of proper technique. The final song in the first book "Over and Out Rag" is a fun finale'. I'm still working on it. I can play it, but not quite up to speed. I played it flawlessly at speed once but no one was listening so I have no witnesses! hehe Ok,Ok maybe it wasn't quite up to speed or quite flawless, but it's fun to play. I'm going to spend a little more time going back over some of the excersises and songs before I move on the the next book. I think I'm getting a good grasp on Travis style picking that I would never have gotten otherwise. I have no doubt that I'll be able to work my way thru The Art of Solo Fingerpicking and be able to play all the songs as I have in the first book.
I'd have to say this is the best money I've ever spent on any books.
Thanks Mapletrees!
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell