The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-25-2001, 10:33 PM

Post Fat guy technique......

Ok .... I couldn't think of a better way to put it. After reading some of the very supportive responses to my earlier post about numbing in the left hand...a couple hit home. The weight gain theories. I too am a "jolly" guy. It is no accident that I purchased the smallest body size Taylor (612) .... it's because it leave room for me to place my impressive gut. (.... now where is that lap of mine...it was around here somewhere). Yes the proverbial "Dunlaps Disease" ..(My belly has done lapped over my belt). .....

...but enough about me......

Here is my question for all you fellow rounders.... what is the most comfortable way for you to hold your guitar? When sitting I tend to sit legs apart and rest the instrument on my right leg in a very vertical position. But it is not very comfortable and I can't see the fret board...so I work real hard at sightless fret work. I am thinking about using a strap more often...not something I have ever used much ....does it help?

Steven King is playing a Taylor clinic soon...my kinda guy....gotta see what he does.

Bob
Old 11-26-2001, 12:13 AM
Cocobologist

From one "Rounder" to another (I like that term), I've got one word for you...

Strap!

Put in on, sit back and relax. I spend most of my playing time sitting reclined in my office chair, but there are times when I'm recording and need to stand up. The beauty of using a strap is the guitar remains in same position on your body whether you sit or stand, allowing you the same playing position.

Check it out -- I think you'll like it...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 11-26-2001, 02:30 AM

Cool

Right on, Gutch. Strap all the way.

If I'm just noodling around on the guitar I'll kick back in the recliner and just lay the thing across my gut while I play. Anything more serious than that, I get out the straps. Sitting or standing it's the best way to go.

I find I get less hand strain with a strap because I'm not using any hand strength to hang on to the guitar. It's just hanging there all by itself.

Since my guitars are different sizes and shapes, each one sits in a different position with respect to my body. So rather than hassle around adjusting straps when I play different guitars I just have a strap dedicated for, and adjusted to, each guitar. I keep each dedicated strap in the respective guitar's case and rock on.

Come to think of it, that may be the only thing in my life that's organized worth a ****.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:37 AM

Cool

Fat guy technique!!!! Hahahahaha!! Im the expert in this area!(Trust me! mamas home cooking does a boy good!)They dont call me Big Jimmy for nothing. I cant go to the beach anymore, everybody keeps trying to roll me back into the water. Im happy though but riding my airdyne everyday just trying to get healthy.(Wife says it wont work if Im eating a porkchop sandwhich while I ride it.) The STRAP!! I place the guitar lower bout(while sitting)on my inner right thigh and play accross my left leg. I lean the guitar back so I can see the fretboard. Even though ive been playing a long time I still have a need to look sometimes. I cant play with the guitar resting on my right leg in the "proper manner" all I see is the back of the guitar(serious)Those of us that are torso challenged just have to work harder. Ive been FAT all my life but its made work harder at everything. I picked up about 100 pounds since last year(was fat before) and Im working hard to get that off. When I recorded my new CD I Had a special chair made that put me at the perfect hight for my best work. In my house where I write and must put the guitar down a good bit I am right nect to my bed. I can lay the guitar on the bed when not in use but when I go to use it I rest the waist of the guitar on the edge of the bed (Tall rice bed) and adjust my computer chair to the right height. I have the right arm off the chair and use the left arm to prop my arm. This allows me hours of practice of my song writeing. Im not kidding when I say Im fat, While I do everything I want to do weight has been my downfall. But the way I look at it is this. Ive been so blessed in my life that the weight thing is not that big a deal, when I feel bad about it I just thank god I have two arms. Play on my round brother!!!!! JW
Old 11-26-2001, 02:14 PM

I have a different, but related, problem.
:o Something else gets in the way of holding the guitar!
Old 11-26-2001, 03:39 PM

REALLY?!!!

...is that why they call you - Trombone?

Old 11-27-2001, 12:38 PM

Um,......... no.

I've been playing trombone for nearly 25 years and still consider it my main instrument, hence the name.

What gets in the way is a little higher up, and bigger, than my gut. If'n I could hold my guitar a little closer, maybe my arm wouldn't fall asleep when playing the dreds and jumbos.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:07 PM

Um....I believe trombone is a female...correct?
Old 11-27-2001, 01:24 PM

oops......

I am going to sit down and shut up.

Bob
Old 11-27-2001, 08:56 PM
alchu

aiyeah
Old 11-27-2001, 10:22 PM

I calls it my auxilliary power storage unit.....

Yoda
Old 11-27-2001, 11:11 PM

BobS,
I could have e-mailed you directly, but that would have taken all the fun out of it.
See, not all trombonists are guys.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:36 AM

trombone -
At least be happy you have "something" the sticks out farther than your gut!
I just drug the old treadmill out of the basement last week. Got to start working on my gut before it gets completely out of control! Afraid I can't help you with your problem tho!
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 11-28-2001, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

You guys are funny!
Trombone, the anatomy problem you referenced is why I had to give up playing the dreads.Too much annoying numbness in the shoulder and hand due to twisting to make the guitar "fit"
Now, like JW when I practice at home I put the guitar on my left leg (not very lady-like I admit but way more comfy)and play in a more classical position. I also use a footstool when I am at home(10 bucks at musicians friend, worth every penny) This modification of playing postion along with selling the dread guitars and playing the 14 series body has taken me from not being able to play due to excruciating pain to only having the occasional shoulder flare up. thank God I've completely lost the numbness that I was experiencing in the hand and index finger just months ago (boy was that scary!).When I am at church I stand up and use a strap. It doesn't bug me any more now that I am practicing good posture regularly at home.
Hey Trombone, you think we could talk Uncle Bob into making a body friendly cut-away for us females? hehe, wouldn't that be a wild looking guitar? Guys have no idea how lucky they are.
Lisa
Old 11-28-2001, 11:08 AM

Lisa, you are tooooo funny!
I needed the hearty laugh this morning.

Problem with the "lady" guitar would be virtually no sound chamber left!

There are quite a few footstools around here, so feel free to come practice here. I end up switching from right to left leg a number of times during practice. Also vary between "regular" and classical positions. Guess I should strap it on and try it standing up again. Last time I did my arm fell asleep even faster. I'll try a different position and focus on proper posture.

Steve Mc -- digging out the treadmill is great, but are you going to use it?!! Ha ha ha. There are a couple of Nordictracks around here, and they make good hat and coat racks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell