The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 AM

Default purfling

What function does purfling provide when used behind the binding?
I'm also trying to understand why Martin doesn't use it on their models.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:41 AM

As far as I know, the purpose of purfling is to provide a visual accent between the binding and other parts of the guitar. Actually Martin does use purfling on most of their guitars, on the standard models it is usually alternating black & white, on the HD's & most vintage models it is herringbone, and on some of the high end models like the 42 & 45 it is abalone.
Regards,
Ed
Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Perennially Maladroit

Decorative transition between top wood & binding.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutehole View Post
I'm also trying to understand why Martin doesn't use it on their models.
It takes time, costs money. When I want to reduce both, one of the first things I do is reduce the complexity of the decorative components, such as purling.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 PM

I think it also adds a bit of protection to the corners as well.

It really does take a lot of time to get it right.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 PM

On another forum we are discussing the possibility that the purfling channel can act as a thinning of the top and the purfling as a "hinge" to help the top vibrate more efficiently similar to thinning the outer edge for the same purpose. Thus the purfling and channel can actually enhance the sound of the guitar. What say you?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Had View Post
What say you?
Here's what I say.

I think that there is an ENORMOUS amount of speculation as to what does what in guitars. Speculation certainly has its place in the process of scientific discovery and inquiry, but in and of itself, speculation should not be confused with scientific evidence. Without scientific evidence, speculation is a fancy word for one person's or another's opinion, "belief" or wishful thinking. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Generally, if I have no intention of or means of supporting a statement with some substantial evidence, I prefer to avoid arm-chair speculation. But, that's just me, with thanks to Galileo.

Until someone has performed some controlled experiments related to this, it is largely just noise, er, um, I mean, opinion.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 11-28-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
On another forum we are discussing the possibility that the purfling channel can act as a thinning of the top and the purfling as a "hinge" to help the top vibrate more efficiently similar to thinning the outer edge for the same purpose. Thus the purfling and channel can actually enhance the sound of the guitar. What say you?
You'd have to build at least 20 guitars in pairs, ten with and and ten without purfling, building each pair with the exact same thicknesses, woods, and bracing patterns. Then, even with the variations in each piece of wood causing each guitar to sound unique, you could probably hear if there is a commonality amongst the 10 purfled guitars that is different from a commonality in the non-purfled guitars. But you'd have to keep all guitars until you finish the experiment. So probably not many are going to try, hence it leaves us all as speculators based upon our own understanding and experience as to deciding whether or not purfling has a positive effect on the sound.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Here's what I say.

I think that there is an ENORMOUS amount of speculation as to what does what in guitars. Speculation certainly has its place in the process of scientific discovery and inquiry, but in and of itself, speculation should not be confused with scientific evidence. Without scientific evidence, speculation is a fancy word for one person's or another's opinion, "belief" or wishful thinking. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Generally, if I have no intention of or means of supporting a statement with some substantial evidence, I prefer to avoid arm-chair speculation. But, that's just me, with thanks to Galileo.

Until someone has performed some controlled experiments related to this, it is largely just noise, er, um, I mean, opinion.
Well ,that was my first thought as well but I thought it was worth bringing up to see what others thought. Taylor and others "thin" the top edge and use other similar techniques to improve/increase (?) top movement. Hope other will also chime in. I'm not convinced one way or the other yet. Need more empirical proof.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Taylor and others "thin" the top edge and use other similar techniques to improve/increase (?) top movement.
As do I, but I doubt that purfling decreases edge stiffness.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 AM

Come on now Charles sometimes the customer wants to hear about the Voodoo that we do to make the guitar sound so good. The customer is always right.

As we all know using HHG on the purfling gets the best tone.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 AM

a couple of things i've noticed since getting into guitar building:

1) the relentless pursuit to absolutely control a largely hand made construct crafted out of organic materials with predictable, unfailing, scientific accuracy.

2) the unwilliness to even begin considering concepts without prior predictable, unfailing, scientific proof. (see line one)

seems like a mexican standoff.

Last edited by arie; 11-29-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Thinning at the edges of the top has been a technique in guitar building for over a century. Depending on how it's done, it works to a point.

Purfling does little or nothing to improve sound. It's purely esthetic. Often not used to save construction costs. It's expensive to install, timewise and materials are not necessarily cheap, though it wouldn't be a price killer for material cost alone. Sometimes, depending on construction methods it's a good way to cover slight mismatches between binding and top or back. On the sides, under the binding - esthetic only.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM

Yah the hinge argument is moot because the purfling rests on top of the linings anyway so the 'weak' point would not really start till the top/linings joint.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair