The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-30-2016, 02:33 PM

Default help with strings

hi all,

What strings for 604mm scale?,,,normal tension,low or high tension?

forgive my ignorance ,I am nearly finished building a guitar based on the torres se117,,for my young nephew and have no idea what strings to buy,,as I have never owned a nylon string instrument,,,

hope you can offer some advice,,,

thanks
Old 09-30-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim88 View Post
hi all,

What strings for 604mm scale?,,,normal tension,low or high tension?

forgive my ignorance ,I am nearly finished building a guitar based on the torres se117,,for my young nephew and have no idea what strings to buy,,as I have never owned a nylon string instrument,,,

hope you can offer some advice,,,

thanks
i'd use high or medium--the shorter the scale the higher the tension needed to play properly at standard pitch.

last summer i converted an old all-solid-birch harmony parlor, 24" scale, to a nylon strung acoustic-electric (new bridge, some thinning of the top & the ladder braces, UST added)..

it sounded good but i tuned it two frets high (using normal tension strings) like having a capo at the second fret, E=F#--like 'almost terz

it was bought by a frontperson from a major touring/recording americana alt-country band--they fell in love with it!..so i'm on the lookout for similar guitars for the same kind of conversion.

Last edited by janepaints; 09-30-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typos, additional info
Old 10-03-2016, 06:00 AM

Thanks janepaints,,

Have just bought normal tension strings and will probably tune up also,,until the instrument sounds/feels best,,

All the best

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical