The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2014, 07:31 AM

Default Soloamp repair tech in So Cal?

My Fishman Soloamp needs some repair. I was playing a small gig and the singer stepped on the XLR cable... Channel 1 XLR connector instantly out of business... ouch. Yesterday, the Ch.1 1/4" connector went "poof" for not apparent reason while playing acoustic guitar. Can anyone recommend a tech with solid state/Soloamp experience?.. Preferably in San Diego, but anywhere from Santa Barbara south.

I have been very disappointed in Fishman... they do not do repairs, and they will not recommend anyone for repairs. Is this normal for amp companies? At least they do provide schematics & instructions. Service & repair will definitely figure into my next PA system upgrade. I am thinking QSC speakers, primarily because they are based in So Cal and apparently service their own equipment. Or maybe Carvin, same reason.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:56 AM

I'm not in Ca. so I can't help there but I can offer some tips.

Any good tech involved in amps or audio should be able to repair that amp with a schematic as long as any proprietary parts are available.

I worked in audio repair for many years, ran my own shop with a partner, and did refurbish repairs for one of the larger audio companies and from my experience I'd say that most independent shops, and many authorized repair outlets take advantage of people. Your best bet is to go with a larger shop that is authorized for other similar products but even then I would let them know up front that you want the defective parts. This is in case they say "XYZ" transistors, IC's, etc. blew up when the XLR input shorted. Tell them you want the parts to send back to the co. even though it may be out of warranty because you've had other unresolved issues. They will be less likely to hit you up for defective parts that aren't really defective.

Service center employees smile, tell you that "XYZ" is wrong and it's going to cost "$X" while they pad the bill. It happens in car repairs, AC repairs, Appliance repairs and certainly in audio and musical instrument repairs. These scams are always on TV and I've seen them myself. I've had my employees who worked at other shops tell me NOTHING ever went out of a shop as no-fault-found. The boss always had them write up a bogus bill or pad it with parts they didn't need. Sad, but the service industry is ripe with rip off artists.

Ask questions, ask for defective parts, and hopefully find an honest repair shop.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:15 AM

Living in San Diego, I find the fine silt sand to be a big issue with connectors, jacks and potentiometers. The jack may just need a good cleaning. Generally it will run you a hundred bucks, just to diagnose the issue. Most shops apply the diagnostic fee towards the cost of the repair. Here's a couple of shops that do repairs. Having a schematic ready will help:

http://www.topgearguitar.com/tghome/

http://www.mozeguitars.com/
Old 12-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
I have been very disappointed in Fishman... they do not do repairs
First, let me state that I have been extremely impressed with Fishman customer service.

Second, the statement above is simply not true. Have you actually tried calling Fishman? (978)988-9199 They repair all their equipment and, in my experience, stand 100% behind anything they manufacture.

This is why the internet is just a poor source of information.

Steve
Old 12-04-2014, 01:15 PM

Not my experience at all. Fishman just repaired my soloamp and I got it back in a week. Great service, great support. Thanks Fishman
1993 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2002 Taylor 310CE
2008 Martin OMC16REP
2013 Taylor 816CE
2016 Kindred OM
Little Martin travel guitar
Taylor GS mini
Red eye preamp
Fender Hot Rod deluxe
Fishman soloamp
Bose L1M2 B2 sub
Vintage boss pedals
Www.strummingtunes.com
Old 12-04-2014, 02:10 PM

Important!

A Product that is returned to Fishman which is not covered by the terms of this warranty will be repaired and returned C.O.D. with billing for labor, materials, return freight and insurance.

For factory service, you must deliver the amplifier prepaid freight to Fishman.
1. Contact Fishman Transducers Factory Service via Service & Support at www.fishman.com to obtain a Return Authorization number (RA number). Products returned without an RA number will be refused.

2. Pack the amplifier in its original shipping carton. If you do not have the carton, request one from us when you get your RA number. Include your shipping address (no P.O. boxes or route numbers). Also include a copy of your sales receipt and a note that explains how to duplicate the problem. If we cannot duplicate the problem at the Factory or verify the original purchase date, we may, at our option, charge for parts/labor and return shipping.

3. Ship the amplifier freight prepaid to:
Fishman Transducers Service Department
340 Fordham Road, Wilmington, MA 01887 USA
Old 12-04-2014, 02:28 PM

I just sent my SA back for repairs.
i had to get a repair tech to take it apart to ship it because of the fragile nature of the circuit boards. i didn't trust myself to do all the disconnects without breaking something.

Fishman customer service issued a RMA and I sent it off and am waiting on its return.

the repair techs in this area would not touch it.
davidc
Old 12-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
... the statement above is simply not true. Have you actually tried calling Fishman? (978)988-9199 They repair all their equipment and, in my experience, stand 100% behind anything they manufacture.

This is why the internet is just a poor source of information. Steve
Steve, I would never post on the internet that I was disappointed if I had not made an effort with the company. Yes, I have had several e-mail exchanges, better than phone calls because the responses are in writing. What I said is true and accurate.

That said, I will call them at the number you provided and try again. I really like my Soloamp and I want to like Fishman. I will report back here on the results of the call.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Important!

A Product that is returned to Fishman which is not covered by the terms of this warranty will be repaired and returned C.O.D. with billing for labor, materials, return freight and insurance.

For factory service, you must deliver the amplifier prepaid freight to Fishman.
1. Contact Fishman Transducers Factory Service via Service & Support at www.fishman.com to obtain a Return Authorization number (RA number). Products returned without an RA number will be refused.

2. Pack the amplifier in its original shipping carton. If you do not have the carton, request one from us when you get your RA number. Include your shipping address (no P.O. boxes or route numbers). Also include a copy of your sales receipt and a note that explains how to duplicate the problem. If we cannot duplicate the problem at the Factory or verify the original purchase date, we may, at our option, charge for parts/labor and return shipping.

3. Ship the amplifier freight prepaid to:
Fishman Transducers Service Department
340 Fordham Road, Wilmington, MA 01887 USA
Wow. First of all... not sure why they didn't tell me this in the first place, that's a little frustrating. Second... by the time I pay for an original box for shipping, wait for it to arrive in California, pay to send the amp to Massachusetts, pay for repairs, and pay for return freight, I will have weeks or months of waiting and I will have increased the cost of the (now used) amp by 50% or more.

No thanks. If this is what you consider to be great customer service, we will just agree to disagree. Again, I sincerely want to like Fishman as a company... right now I am not feeling the love. One of my AGF brothers will refer me to a good tech in So Cal who will make the repair happen locally... the resource network here is priceless. I would much prefer that Fishman had referred me to someone locally.

PS: I am also surprised at how delicate this amp is... the cord was not stepped on hard when I lost the XLR... the 1/4" connector gave up the ghost without reason... and I am supposed to feel confident about shipping this thing across the continent and back with UPS or FEDEX? I am not inspired with confidence.

Last edited by billder99; 12-04-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
At least they do provide schematics & instructions.
Did they state they woulds provide schematics in an email or other correspondence? I may try to see if I can get schematics for my Loudbox Mini.

The owner paying the shipping costs for a warranty item is not all that uncommon for many manufacturers, music gear, as well as a lot of other products.

If you're lucky the XLR connector is just a mechanical problem that most decent shops could fix and it may possibly be linked to the problem with the 1/4" jack if it cracked a solder joint on the circuit board when the XLR took the hit. Check with a local music store as to where they have repairs done. Some music shops even have their own in house repair tech.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

I have been nothing but impressed with Fishman customer service. They actually answer the phone when you call the number and are extremely helpful. For instance, they walked me through taking apart and cleaning the front panel of my Soloamp which saved me the hassle of sending it in for repair. They also sent me a new power cord at no charge for the cord I lost to my Loudbox Pro. I have owned 8 amps and 5 preamp systems from Fishman and all have worked flawlessly save the dirty pot issue with the SoloAmp which was not a defect and a problem they solved for me.

You'll be happy tomorrow after you call them!

Tim
Old 12-05-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
First, let me state that I have been extremely impressed with Fishman customer service.

Second, the statement above is simply not true. Have you actually tried calling Fishman? (978)988-9199 They repair all their equipment and, in my experience, stand 100% behind anything they manufacture.

This is why the internet is just a poor source of information.

Steve
+1 I had a problem with my SA220, and called them, they e-mailed me instructions on removing the front panel to send back to them, avoiding the cost of sending the whole column. They repaired it, and I had it back in less than a week. Exemplary customer service, in my opinion.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:11 PM

Mine is currently there for repair.
Cost me about 18.00 in shipping to send the front panel preamp and the amp which I sent anyway to them. I have to pay a tech to put it back together since the circuit boards are easily broken. Fishman charges a flat fee of $59.00 I think to do the repair. BOSE charges 200.00 or so and I had to send the massive base plate amp/mixer to them for the original BOSE I had. Shipping was about 60.00 alone. I also have to pay for shipping back to me from Fishman. So probably a little over 100.00 for shipping and repairs.

The customer service response was excellent. I don't know how long it will take to get it back but will report when i do. They tell you 3-4 weeks but it could be sooner.

davidc
Old 12-05-2014, 01:24 PM

Before you ship the amp to Fishman, contact Mike Zuccaro. He's a great tech in San Diego and he might work on guitar amps. I know he repairs audio gear.
http://audiocraftsman.com/

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification