The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-05-2014, 11:13 AM

Default Fishman replacement

Got a friend that has a Blueridge BR-163CE. this model is listed as having a Fishman Presys Blend, under saddle transducer, on board E.Q. and volume control. He is having problems with it and would like to replace it. How do you even begin the process of figuring out what would be the best system and that would fit in the side hole of the Blueridge? I, as usual, was useless in trying to help....so I'm coming to the experts. Any thoughts?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelmag View Post
Got a friend that has a Blueridge BR-163CE. this model is listed as having a Fishman Presys Blend, under saddle transducer, on board E.Q. and volume control. He is having problems with it and would like to replace it. How do you even begin the process of figuring out what would be the best system and that would fit in the side hole of the Blueridge? I, as usual, was useless in trying to help....so I'm coming to the experts. Any thoughts?
Hi shelmag...

First you might want to figure out why he's having problems with the existing system. The Fishman Presys is a pretty nice internal system...

Jimmy Capps (major Nashville backing guitarist) uses a stock Fishman Presys on his BlueRidge for a major TV show out of Nashville directly into a Little Walter Amp and gets great sound. (the amp is certainly $2500 of the reason it sounds so good)

So it may not be just the internal pickup system that's at issue.

Other parts of the chain are the amp or PA your friend is playing through, and how he's running the controls of the built-in system, and how he is interfacing with the amp/PA.

There are drop in systems, even upgraded versions of the Fishman Presys (they abound on eBay) . But if it's just an undersaddle pickup and preamp with low-mid-high and phase (perhaps a built in tuner) then it's not likely to change very much with someone else's drop in replacement.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification