The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-28-2014, 05:25 PM

Default Fishman AG-series UST

I am not sure if anyone knows but is the UST piezo element that's used with the passive AG-series system the same as the one used with the Matrix Infinity? I am just trying to figure out if the only difference is the active electronics vs. passive or if the AG-series uses a different UST material.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:25 PM

The passive Fishman UST has 6 ceramic transducers. The Matrix UST uses a piezo film than runs continuously for the full length of the UST. The Fishman Sonicore is a coaxial piezo UST presumably similar to a Baggs Active Element. The AG series is probably the least attractive sounding of the three. If you want a passive PU, and I can think of a lot of good reasons to, the K&K Mini or a JJB are better choices. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-29-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The passive Fishman UST has 6 ceramic transducers. The Matrix UST uses a piezo film than runs continuously for the full length of the UST. The Fishman Sonicore is a coaxial piezo UST presumably similar to a Baggs Active Element. The AG series is probably the least attractive sounding of the three. If you want a passive PU, and I can think of a lot of good reasons to, the K&K Mini or a JJB are better choices. Jon
Thank you for the info. I had a feeling that the AG-series was a cheaper UST option. I was just looking for a passive UST to try with one of my instruments and have really liked the Matrix tone. No worries though, I was just more so curious.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:16 PM

Some folks like a UST with the individual crystals better because they think there's more string separation than a continuous strip of piezo film. (FWIW, Shadow makes a hex UST with six individual strips of piezo film.)

I regularly run sound for a player with an AG series pickup. I use one of my Fishman Platinum preamps to buffer and EQ the signal. He's more of a picker than a heavy strummer, so it sounds pretty decent (not terribly quacky) in his hands. Its also less feedback prone than a soundboard pickup.

If cost isn't an issue, the custom made Rich Barbera "Soloist" in-saddle pickups offer high feedback resistance, good string separation and a lack of quack. The downside would be that it doesn't pick up as much top ambiance as a soundboard pickup. (I'd sure be curious to run it through a Mama Bear, with respect to adding top ambiance.)

http://www.barberatransducers.com/guitar_pickups.html

Last edited by guitaniac; 11-29-2014 at 05:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification