The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Had View Post
Then the complimentary angle is sanded (flat) into upper bout from the front of the sound hole to the neck block.
Thanks for the response. That'll work.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadsftw! View Post
so im thinking about building some guitars. most everything else seems fairly simple but setting the neck is really complicated to me. ill be using a pre shaped neck and block from lmii but im clueless on how to properly set it to the guitar... here are my questions:
1-what is a neck angle?
2-how can i tell what neck angle to use on my guitar
3- how can i change/adjust the neck to get the proper angle
4- how can i install the neck properly
thanks any help would be great
Which kit are you thinking about getting? Dreadnought, OM, parlor? I straight edge off of the fingerboard surface because, when I am doing it, usually the frets are not in yet. If the frets are in, I use three little shims to clear the frets. Two under the straight edge and one at the bridge.

I use the shims on a new build to get the straight edge to clear the fingerboard extension on a new build also. When it is all said and done I ramp the fingerboard extension off a little bit. There is a lot more to the ramping thing if ya' wanna' hear about it. There are lots of options there.

Assuming that you are using a 1/4" thick fingerboard and a 5/16" thick bridge, the rule of thumb that I go by is, the plane of the fingerboard surface goes to the top of the bridge on an old guitar, 1/32" over the top of the bridge on a new, small body, guitar, and 1/16" over the top of the bridge on a new, big body, guitar. You can read Cumpiano's Newsletters.

If you read through our thread about the neck re-set on the Martin J-40 M, you can see that sometimes you have to throw the rule book out and just go with what Ya' got. Like Arie said in post #2.

You probably really won't learn how to do one until Ya' screw one up, and then have to fix it.

Experience is that thing that teaches you how to recognize your mistakes when you make them again.

And if none of that works for Ya, don't do it that way. Lots of options on how to "Git er done!".

Glen
Old 12-09-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadsftw! View Post
so im thinking about building some guitars. most everything else seems fairly simple but setting the neck is really complicated to me. ill be using a pre shaped neck and block from lmii but im clueless on how to properly set it to the guitar... here are my questions:
1-what is a neck angle?
2-how can i tell what neck angle to use on my guitar
3- how can i change/adjust the neck to get the proper angle
4- how can i install the neck properly
thanks any help would be great
Let's get back to the original question:

1. See pic below, that is a neck angle
2. Measure your neck the same way, that is the angle you should use
3. You really don't want to change it if you can help it, you want to build the complimentary angle into the body (in this case the body angle would be 91.3 to = 180), if it is slightly off you may need to make corrections
4. Depends if it is a bolt-on, dovetail or other

Old 12-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Thumbs up Bolt-on methodology

Chek out this site: http://forums.washburn.com/topic.asp:TOPICid=15320 or [email protected] can also be contacted thru Frets.net or at 650 218 0248. He's a pro and he's done a ALOT of them (bolt-ons)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair