The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-21-2001, 06:04 PM

Post Craig Dobbins Acoustic Guitar Workshop

Anybody subscribe to the newsletter?
Been thinking about subscribing. It's a little pricey - $60 for 4 quarterly issues. Is it worth it?
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 08-21-2001, 08:36 PM

Thumbs up

I have for 1 1/2 years. Its good ...has several songs and usually a riff section from jerry reed or chet. Also get cassette... it would be better with CD so you could find specific sections.
I agree it is a bit pricey, but i guess worth it.
Baby Taylor
Seagull S6
Godin Multiac Nylon
2002 Lakewood A14
Old 08-21-2001, 11:35 PM

Smile

Steve Mc,

I don't know where you're at in you're fingerpicking...

Most people who want to get into solo fingerstyle music and find themselves saying things like "How in the name of God's Green Earth do people play like that?!?!?" would benefit greatly from working through Mark Hanson's two instuctional method books (emphasis on the word 'method' - not just random ideas, TAB, and tips) on (1)Travis picking and (2) alternating bass fingerstyle guitar solos...

I can't get the search feature to work properly...no matter what I do it will only search today's posts...if you were able to get the search feature going and search on "Hanson" you'd find there's at least three folks ( I hope more?!?) on this forum that are rather happily plowing along into the world of fingerstyle music in a very organized, thought out, structured, "can't wait to get to the next lesson", "whoa, I'm getting pretty good at this", sort of way...

tbondo apparently is finding the books and his progress enough justification to go on a Taylor guitar buying spree..."Honey...see how you hear the individual notes better on the x14's and x'12's ?"

No. I see an IRA contribution going for a guitar. Don't you already have a guitar? Why on earth would you need more than one guitar? I, at an arthritic age, will have to work for one more year because you bought another guitar? Please."

etc...

eek

where was I ....probably had my head in the fridge for another beer but...

no matter what type of fingerstyle music you're into, Travis Picking and Alternating Bass is the place to start...very analagous to the situation when learning electric lead guitar ...you start with the blues - the scope is limited enough that you can identify very specific things to work on and master - the gravy is that you can sound darn head-turning cool very very quickly by just doing very very simple things.

oh, by the way, I was not implying anything instructional by Craig Dobbins was just random tips and TAB...not at all..

but I'm 100% sure (ok, 99.99999 percent sure)that you'll get more out of his stuff, the John Knowles Quarterly, and Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine, if you first or simultaneously start working out of Mark Hanson's two books...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 08-22-2001, 08:35 AM

Thanks, based on all the positive input, I'll order Mark Hansons books. I ordered a couple of back issues of Craigs newsletter so that will give me a better idea of whats in it. I've only been playing fingerstyle a couple of years, entirely self-taught, so I'm sure the Hanson books will be a help.
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 08-22-2001, 05:57 PM

I have used the Mark Hanson bok and found it ok but not as wonderful as some on this forum claim.Craig Dobbins also has a couple good and pretty elementary books with CD... Fingerstyle hymns and Down Home Pickin'
Baby Taylor
Seagull S6
Godin Multiac Nylon
2002 Lakewood A14
Old 08-23-2001, 12:03 AM

Smile

Chip...

Dude!?

Bummer!

Serious bummer.

Which bok are you talking about?

His Travis picking bok?

His Alternating Bass Solos bok?

His bok choy bok?

Just kidding...never serious..well, hardly ever seriously serious...

...Sitting there...supposed to perform (I'm not a performer)...very good friend in his casket next to me (coffin? whatever you call these horrid things...just throw my shell down deep under the garden without all this fuss when it's my turn to go)..his wife wanted me to do a Chet Atkins-like (alternating bass solo!) version of "I'll See You In My Dreams"...Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler did this on the album Neck and Neck...it's cool..my friend and I used to do it together often - when we were together - and she would always say "Why don't you guys play more pretty music like that?....you're usually acting like Beavis and Butthead with Smoke on the Water or something (Hey..hey, now c'mon , I nail that solo better than Mr. Blackmore)...

...where was this going?....right...ok...sitting there...feeling darn uneasy.....wiped the sweat from my brow ...and then my hand falls down and bonks the casket by accident...sort of bounces up because of my ring and bonks down again...

made sort of a knock-knock sound...hollow...not a good hollow like Strat pickups... just plain lousy, loud, final, and empty..seriouly rattled and not knowing at this point if I'm supposed to tell knock-knock jokes or play Knocking on Heaven's Door I started with shaky hands to out of the blue do some basic cut time bass-chord strumming and found myself singing (for some unknown reason)

Death comes a creeping
It'll knock upon your door
With a big fat grin
It'll walk right in
And declare you are no more

(with the Frosty the Snowman melody of course)

as I was about to do an "all together now" in preparation for the second verse I realized that the members of the audience were definitely not in a singing mood. Not any sort of happy event to this point. Sourpuss City.

Halt.

Blankly staring off...called back into the moment when I realized his wife was giving me a hug, calling me a "**** fool", and humming the riff to Smoke on the Water...

what was this post about? ok...this guy had previously 'flunked out' on the electric...

the night time calls...to be continued in the morning..
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 08-31-2001, 01:29 PM

Smile

good heavens...

..getting back to the point...and to cut this all very, very short...

in reference to these two books...my friend would say

"you know what I like about these books?...if you really do what you're supposed to do, you really get the result you're supposed to get. Guaranteed." (or something to that effect)

Well, gee whiz. That's the way things should go...

I think the two books are wonderful...I'll go back to the original post and try to give a section by section justification (and try to point out how not to use the books)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell