The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-04-2001, 06:58 AM

Post Practice Habits?

I'm just curious. What is everyones practice habits? I know it will differ between the professional (play for pay) players and us "backyard pickers". I usually don't have time to play for more than an hour in one sitting so I will usually play a couple of hours. One in the morning and one in the evening. I usually start with some warmup excersizes, then play 3-4 songs that I know by heart and enjoy, then start working on new stuff. I get bored so I'm am usually working on 4-5 new songs at a time, in all different stages. I don't know if that is necessarily good or not. Since I am just a "for fun" player I try to keep it fun and not too regimented, but at the same time, want to make my practice sessions effective as possible so my playing will improve. I am interested in your comments, suggestions and routines.
I read once where a Winfield winner was asked in an interview how much he practiced each day. He said "Practice is work, playing is fun so I play all the time." I always liked that philosiphy.
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 07-04-2001, 10:22 AM

Cool

I play about five hours a day but sometimes I may go 8-10 hours with a guitar around my neck as I write and play at the same time. My 514ce has seen a lot of play over a few short months. I spend quite a lot of time playing, writeing but my fovorite time is messing around with three or four chord songs. It give some simplistic basics that we all need to go back to sometimes. JW
Old 07-05-2001, 02:43 AM

Smile

Hi Steve and JW, I'm new here but I'm age 45 and have been playing since 1967, and I was a Teacher and Professional Musician from about 1973 to 1985.

*Warmup with some chord progressions and some scales and or riffs for about 5-10 minutes is important.

*Setting Goals: is very important.

If your practice session for the day is to concentrate on something that you have never done before: a new song, a new style etc. Write it down on a piece of paper.

I'll use one example(since there are many)

*Learning a new song: since I play mostly now , for my own enjoyment, I love to play along with real time recordings of Steely Dan, Weather Report, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, etc.

1) Have your manuscript paper and pencil ready to go, along with a sharp pencil, along with your CD Player Remote Control at hand.

2) Listen to short sections of the song you want to learn and determine the chord structure and write it down on the manuscript paper with the correct measures and changes, and determine which chord variations you want to use (for example: I listen to many artists that don't use a guitarist, so I listen to the keyboards for the chord structure).

3) When you have it all figured out, practice as much as it takes to have the song down in real time, and then play along with the CD.

4) When you can play the tune along with the CD, at least three time sucessfully, you've got it, but don't fail to practice that song at least 5 times a week if you wan't to keep it fresh.

I'll give your an example: When I wanted to play along with AJA by Steely Dan, the chord structure and changes took me about 20 minutes, and after about 45 minutes of real time practice, I could have actually played that tune with the band with no problems, but I didn't play it for a week. Big mistake.

One should constantly play the tunes they already know on a day to day ( or something close)basis.

Email me anytime at:

[email protected]

Old 07-05-2001, 02:59 AM

Smile

I just play the same old sorry-assed four hundred or five hundred songs, over and over and over and...
Old 07-05-2001, 10:09 PM

Talking

Roger, thanks. I thought I had killed this thread!

I'll officially kill it now with this post.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:24 PM

JJ Dillon:

Do you play or have the Tabliture to "Smiles & Miles To Go" by Larry Carlton, I've always wanted to try to tackle that piece?

Michael

'01-514(w/o CE)
'00-BabyK
Old 07-06-2001, 05:53 PM

Thank JJ,
I appreciate the suggestions. My biggest problem is time! I run a small business 50-60 hrs/wk. Then all the normal household duties. But I enjoy playing. It's my form of relaxation. But keep working on trying to make my playing time count towards actually improving my abilities.

JW -
I had about decided on a 714ce but you've got me talked into giving the 514ce a second look!

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 07-11-2001, 10:17 PM

Talking

Waterdog: Sorry, I don't have anything on tab to "Smiles and Miles to Go". I pretty much just listen to the CD with an open manuscript page and just jot down any notation or chord forms.

Heck, if I knew there was a demand, I'd Tab it Out and put it on the market. ;o)

Steve, I hear you. Being in the insurance business keeps me hopping also. Just like a business, try scheduling your practice time just like a business appointment. A half hour a day will suffice, either at work or at home or a combination of both.
Old 07-21-2001, 05:39 PM

Talking

one thing that seems to get me out of the same old rut, is to jam with friends and run tape during the sessions you'd be surprise at what can be picked up during a little session like that some things are truly by chance and its great to catch it on tape
I hope this helps
remember play to love & love to play

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell