The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-24-2001, 04:15 PM

Question How to start children with guitar?

I have two girls, 6 and 7 years old. They've been fascinated with my Baby Taylor since I bought it, but I'm left-handed and so is the Baby T. Both girls are right handed. So I bought them a righty Baby Taylor to mess about with.

While I intend to get them both professional music lessons, I was wondering if anyone had any tips in the meantime for how to get them making musical sounds while also simply having fun with the guitar.

I'm not putting this well, but perhaps if I tuned the guitar differently, or if there are games someone might know of, stuff like that.

Ideally, I'd like to take their enthusiasm and curiosity and channel it. If I can create a positive feedback loop for them where they have fun, make interesting sounds, and learn something, then the sky's the limit!

Shouldn't be a problem, right?
Lefty
Old 06-24-2001, 08:57 PM

Hi Lefty,

I have no suggestions for you because I do not have any kids, but I'd like to commend you on buying your kids a baby taylor. If you find any games etc, let me know. My lessons are fun, but brutal at the same time
Old 06-25-2001, 06:09 AM

My kid is only four, and she loves my Baby. What I do is simply answer her questions and let her explore on her own. I'm a finger-picker. She likes to pretend to finger pick and hold down the strings on the frets. As time goes on she'll learn to make chords. I figure the more I make it like work, the less she will enjoy it. Let her follow her interest, not a set of lessons...

matt
Old 06-25-2001, 02:10 PM

Matt,

I agree completely. I'm looking for ideas that are fun while providing something that will stick. My kids basically do what yours do--the hold the guitar and pluck strings or strum the open strings.

When they ask, I try to show them how to fret a string to make a different sound. Five minutes here, five minutes there...

Lefty
Old 06-25-2001, 02:35 PM

Someone, somewhere (perhaps on the Acoustic Guitar magazine forum) suggested tuning the guitar to an open chord so strumming it would sound like something. Haven't tried it, but it sounds like a reasonable thought.

my one cent . . .
Old 06-25-2001, 04:10 PM

Check out a book called Smart Start by Jessica Baron Turner. I bought it for my five year old daughter. The book uses open tunings and starts them out strumming and singing. It also comes with a cd so they can listen and play along.
Old 06-26-2001, 04:19 PM

Talking

I've asked the same question to my guitar teacher and a few guitarists with kids. One person I spoke with has a daughter (10 or so) who wanted to learn classical guitar, so her Dad baught her a cheapy guitar and a book/CD of some sort. Apparently, she took to it like lika a duck to water, so he tried to find her a guitar teacher. He had a hell of a time finding one, as they either did not want students that young OR that young students get frustrated forming the chords, and they should learn piano instead.

Just some food for thought. I have a 10 month old, so I'm curious as to what other people think about this issue.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 06-28-2001, 01:24 AM

Talking

I'm going through thesame thing with my (almost) 7 year old daughter right now. A few weeks ago we went out and got a Baby Taylor. The guy at the music store handed me a Smart Start video and tuned the guitar to an open tuning. The video is very good for kids. The whole Smart Start system is a good one. There's no way in the world that she can learn the standard tunings right now, but she can sound good right away using Smart Start---and that's what keeps her playing every day. Another poster suggested the S.S. book---probably a good idea too, but with the video she can strum and sing along with the people on the video.

I keep one of my guitars tuned to the same open tuning she uses and alomost every day we practice---even if its just to sing a few songs. By the time she's a little older, she can take some real lessons. What we're doing now will help her develop a sense of rhythm and appreciation for practicing.

Rick
Old 06-28-2001, 08:48 AM

You guys have given me some ideas. I commend you for investing in a baby for the kids. I took lessons on a very cheap, very hard to play, "student" guitar as a child and I believe if someone had helped me get a better, easier to play instrument I would have stayed with it. (I quit playing for about 25 yrs.) I didn't know that mine was hard to play, I thought it was normal.
I have a 3 yr. old granddaughter. Maybe this is my excuse to buy a baby Taylor!

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 07-09-2001, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up

i to em teaching a new rock star to be famous,and yes it can be an up hill battle (remenber your first experiance with an axe dad?)this helped me and i hope it helps all too,, besides tuning for fun on open setups we also tune in e , heres the twist, all kids love stickers , barney, power rangers ect...use sticker combo's on the fret board, its amazing how when somthing is brought to there leve of under standing,the child lights up , my daughter bobbi jo cant wait to see what sticker combo's dad has instore and the music that comes forth, it realy does work, i wonder if i can get her to clean her room by sticker.hummmmm
untill next time play to love and love to play blono12string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell