The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-16-2015, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Cello question

I'm looking to learn the cello, and need a decent instrument. Unlike in the guitar world, where there's a wealth of information to answer simple questions like "what's a good sounding, well built, good value guitar for a beginner", I find it very hard to find anything beyond very generic "have your cello teacher try one for you", and most online sites show very little detailed information about construction (e.g. laminate v. solid).

Does anyone here have recommendations for cello brands and models suitable for a musically proficient adult? Or brands to avoid? Same with vendors and bows.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:39 AM

There is an Internet Cello Society Forum that might be of help. They have a Chat section, and here's "A discussion board that deals with the physical aspects of the cello itself, brands, repairs, strings, accessories, and so forth." http://cellofun.yuku.com/forums/4/In...t#.VQfKjdLF_U8

Love the sound of a well played cello! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAOWI-tkGg

cotten
Old 03-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! I hadn't seen that one. Unfortunately it seems to devolved into bickering between cello snobs and anti-snobs and I still have a clear picture of what brands/models to buy or avoid
Old 03-17-2015, 02:02 PM

Tough question, I don't know much about modern cellos but have a look at Eastman. Never heard one myself but I believe they have a good reputation. How much are you looking to spend?

The most important thing is to get a set up done. A good set up with a nice set of strings, even on a relatively cheap instrument will make a big difference :-)
Old 03-17-2015, 02:06 PM

Oh, and go to a proper stringed instrument shop, not a general music store and have a look on what is on offer. If they have a workshop they will likely have used instruments suitable for a beginner.

Just be prepared that for a decent starter instrument and bow, you'll likely pay as much as you wood on a really tasty guitar!

The honest truth is that it will probably be at least a few years of making some pretty horrible noises. A lot of people find that hard to take and give up. The cello, unlike instruments like the guitar or piano, takes a long time to develop a decent tone and vibrato. I'm not saying this to put you off, just giving you a realistic view before you spend some hard earned cash! If you really want it though then go for it, it's a fantastic instrument. :-)

Last edited by Shimmy; 03-17-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! I've actually tried the cello before and I'm pretty sure it's right for me. No horrible noises (according to my wife and cats).
Old 03-17-2015, 04:42 PM

I found that initially, it is much easier to get pleasing tone from a cello, relative to a violin. You can/need to dig in more with the cello bow, and where this produces scratchy, "nails on a chalkboard" tone in a violin, it works OK on cello. You will be making minute adjustments to bow hold and bow pressure for years to come if you stick with it. All that being said, I found the cello harder than the violin once you progress beyond the very basics, but that may just be me.

I will make the same suggestion I make when anyone asks about stringed instruments (violins, cellos, basses, violas). You need to deal with a reputable stringed instrument shop. This means a shop that sells stringed instruments, not your local guitar store with a dusty violin or cello in the corner, and not a store that rents band instruments. If you don't have a stringed instrument shop nearby, I have been doing business with J R Judd for years, NFI, I just think they are a good shop

https://www.jrjuddviolins.com/

To answer your question, I would look at an Eastman or a Samuel Shen. Both make nice entry level instruments in the $1k-$2k range. Do not forget that you will also need a good bow. Expect to spend $199 or more on a bow. $50 bows suck. Look at either a nice carbon fiber or a pernambuco bow. Something like the Eastman Cadenza is a good place to start, but if you can make the step up to CodaBow Prodigy, you will have made a good investment.

My suggestion to all new string players is to rent for a year. You can rent an entire package, instrument, bow, case for $40-$70 a month, depending on how nice an instrument you want. The good thing about renting is that the financial outlay is less steep, and at a reputable string shop, most if not all of your monthly rental can be used to purchase an instrument down the road. Lets say you rent for a year at $70. That is $840. Of that, most string shops will allow you to put at least 80% of it towards the purchase of an instrument, so you are out very little if you trade up.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 AM

There are some decent chinese makers you can purchase directly from on Ebay. Of course it's something of a gamble, but I purchased one for my daughter when she was ready to step up from her school-supplied cello.

I got it from yitamusic on ebay, and after watching auctions for a good while got one I wanted for about $850 shipped. This is peanuts for a good cello, and my daughter's teachers and orchestra leaders have all been very impressed, remarking several times on what a great sounding instrument it is. This is of course after changing the strings for good ones, which is another hundred or so when dealing with a cello!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:45 AM

I have also found the forums dedicated to strings (violin and cello specifically) usually are divided between classically trained players who most likely have a wine cellar in their house, and those looking to branch in to strings from elsewhere. I get similar response when searching for piano stuff on forums. I once asked the question "any great piano songs for a intermediate player?" and got the response "excuse me, they are called "pieces"... I just threw up in my mouth.

It's unfortunate that such snobbery exists in these places because I personally find it extremely off-putting. All that being said, I agree that the rental path is best for a year. Simply because the learning curve is steep with strings and you want to make sure that you are going to stick with it. The used market seems flooded with entry level VSO (Violin shaped objects) which will cost you more to properly set up than they are worth.

I personally love the cello, and it is one of my goals to learn it eventually. I just rented my first violin with the intention of learning bluegrass fiddle. My wife thinks the cello is "too big" to store in our current house... But I hope to get my daughter into violin lessons and I want to be able to practice with her and/or teach her.

But the initial investment is going to be steep, so I would rent and make sure I love it before I invest. Happy hunting, and have fun learning. You should learn this. It's one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Great on violin and Cello.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 03-18-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
I have also found the forums dedicated to strings (violin and cello specifically) usually are divided between classically trained players who most likely have a wine cellar in their house, and those looking to branch in to strings from elsewhere.
Lol... Well I'm a classically trained cellist without a wine cellar!
Old 03-18-2015, 01:21 PM

I see you are in the bay area. Ifshin violins in El Cerrito usually has a decent selection of instruments and bows. Might be a bit high $.

http://www.ifshinviolins.com/
Old 04-26-2015, 03:34 PM

I know I'm a month late to the conversation, but I figure I'll post this anyway.

There's a good reason that people don't recommend cellos by their brand like they do with guitars. There's just too much variation in quality, at least for factory instruments. There's a cellist from my local symphony that goes to a warehouse in California a few times a year. He plays dozens of cellos and brings back the best 2 or 3 to sell for a bit of extra income. I've played them, and they're way better than most of the other cellos from that same brand that I've played.

Unfortunately that means you're kind of up a creek without a paddle when you're trying to pick out your first instrument. I'd say it's better to look for a shop with a good reputation. A good luthier can make a big difference, and if they've got actual musicians working in the show room then at least you can see if they can get a decent sound out of it.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Not too late! Thanks for the information.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments