The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-04-2015, 09:23 AM

Default Beginner banjo

So recently I've been debating buying a banjo.....I'm a guitar player and have a tendency to walk on the wild side lol. Every now and then I'll buy a new instrument mess with it for a bit and usually end up giving it away when I get bored as such I don't want to spend anymore than is completely necessary. I've been eyeing the recording king dirty thirties banjo but if there is a cheaper and still decent alternative I'd like to have options. The other idea I've had is either building a crude pie tin one or buying a head and building a neck and seeing what happens.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

The Dirt Thirties is okay. It's not a very high quality instrument but it's generally okay for the price. A Deering Goodtime open back banjo would be much better and you can get one new for $399 or used for around $250 at various places online.

Todd
Old 03-04-2015, 04:10 PM

I'll look into the deering. Any other old used options to keep an eye out for?
Old 03-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Another vote for the Deering GoodTime. Fun to play, and it sounds great. It.s also very popular, and often recommended to newcomers on the banjo forums, so there's a lot of demand for second-hand Goodtimes. You have no difficulty re-selling it.

I've got a Deering GoodTime, as well as a Deering Calico.

Have fun!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 PM

Yet another vote for the Deering Goodtime!

I was in the same boat as you 2 months ago and purchased a Goodtime 2 with resonator. I have been playing acoustic and electric guitar for many years, but wanted to give the banjo a try.

I am really enjoying this new instrument and feel like I am progressing fairly well. I am the type of person that doesn't give up easily....so feel that playing the banjo will be a lifelong journey, just as my guitar playing continues to be.

I can't speak about the banjo you are considering, but can say that I doubt you would be disappointed with the Goodtime as long as budget isn't an issue.

Be sure to checkout the "Banjo Hangout Forum" for great banjo specific info.
I have found this forum to be very valuable with a lot of experienced people providing excellent advice all things banjo!

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:36 PM

After looking the deering is just more than I want to spend. That's getting into the range of I'll just buy another guitar lol. Found some cosmetic norm recording kings for around 150. Probably should just buy a rouge to test the waters since the likely hood I'll play it for more than a month is low knowing how I am.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:53 PM

I got this to learn on. I put new tuners on it and lowered the action and I imagine it'll get me by until I fork out $700 on my next one.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 AM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=375312
Old 03-05-2015, 11:48 AM

To me in intro banjo territory, the story begins and ends with the Deering Goodtime Open back or Reso (whichever is your preference). They are simply amazing, well built, and have a decent tone. I couldn't be happier with mine!! They can be found used at decently affordable prices (check your local craigslist).
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 03-05-2015, 05:35 PM

Since the banjo is mostly tuned to open G (gDGBD) you could try tuning an extra guitar to open G, and maybe even leave off the sixth string. Your fifth string would be an octave lower than a banjo, which has a high G string for #5. Then you could experiment with no real outlay of $$$. Granted, it won't sound the same - maybe that's not a BAD thing.

I can noodle a bit on banjo just from my fingerstyle guitar background and knowing a bunch of slack-key tunes in open G (taro patch tuning).
Old 03-31-2015, 01:23 AM

check out the Bart Reiter open back banjos that Elderly carries. A very nice choice;both my sister and I have a Reiter. Great value,retains value too.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:54 AM

The old Harmony banjo's from the 60' can be found for not much cash and sound quite good even with the plastic body.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments