The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-22-2015, 10:36 AM

Default Joe's Tune on my Tony Francis Weissenborn

This is the first tune I ever came up with on my Weissenborn guitar. I'm playing this in D tuning on my Tony Francis Weissenborn guitar. Hope you guys like it!

https://soundcloud.com/rob-anderlik/joes-tune
Old 02-27-2015, 07:36 PM

That was gorgeous. Beautiful song and sound. I just have been turned on to the Weissenborn through listening to Thomas Oliver. I want to learn how to play and want to get a pretty nice instrument to learn. I've been playing guitar, finger style, for many years and have found that a good instrument was 1) easier to learn to play, and 2) sounded so much better than a mediocre instrument, therefore I loved the sound and wanted to play more. Any suggestions on builders and prices? You can PM me if you would like. I know Tony Francis is one of if not the best builder, but don't know what prices he charges, or if any are even available. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you, Bruce
Old 02-28-2015, 06:17 AM

Hi Bruce:

Thanks man, I appreciate it! The guitar I'm playing in the video - a style 1 Tony Francis Weissenborn - sells for $3K and is -IMO - a really fair price, especially when you consider that the market for contemporary Weissenborn's ranges from the under $1K bracket which are mostly cheap imports - to $4K and up from the top builders - Tony Francis, Bear Creek and Asher Guitars. If $3K is too steep you may want to talk with Rance White at Lazy River Guitars. Rance builds a nice guitar and has carved out a niche in the $2K and under price range.

As a player I can't begin to explain the minute details that go into designing and building a great sounding hollow neck Weissenborn guitar. What I can tell you is that a well built Weissenborn has incredible sustain, really sweet tone and - with a good magnetic pickup installed - is a truly awesome live performance guitar. They really sound incredible when played through a nice P.A. system in a room with great acoustics.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Rob Anderlik; 02-28-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:20 AM

Forgot to mention - if you haven't already seen it you may want to take a look at an interview that I did recently with Tom Noe, who is an author and historian who has written a book about Chris Knutsen and Hermann Weissenborn. It's a great place to start if you are new to Weissenborn guitars!

http://squareneckjournal.com/2015/02...uthor-tom-noe/
Old 03-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

That was really pretty, both the tune and the playing. You make me want to buy a Weissenborn. My wife appreciates that...
Old 04-11-2015, 09:15 PM

You sure know how to make the Weissenborn sound sweet, Rob!
Old 04-12-2015, 08:37 AM

Thanks, I appreciate it! Squareneck dobro in G tuning is really my main instrument, but I really like the different voice of the Weissenborn in D tuning. In a great sounding room the Weissenborn can really sound incredible with quite a range of sound from lows to highs.

Here's a link to an interview I did recently with Ed Gerhard on his approach to Weissenborn. There's some great info in there on Weissenborns!

http://squareneckjournal.com/2015/02...st-ed-gerhard/
Old 05-07-2015, 09:17 AM

Really nice, Rob. (From Doc Roberts)

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments