The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-29-2015, 11:30 PM

Default My Next Banjo由ecommendations?

A few months ago I picked up a cheapie Jameson student banjo to learn on. It's time to move up.

It seems like the next level is a Deering or Gold Tone in the ~$700 range, but I'm not sure what to go for or what to value when choosing. All I know is that my little student banjo doesn't fret properly in certain spots.

I'm looking for a 4-string plectrum banjo, left-handed, ideally with a resonator. It'll be used almost entirely in amplified situations.

I've been looking at these guys:

http://www.banjo.com/Left_Handed_4_S...njos_s/369.htm

I'd appreciate any recommendations! Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:28 PM

Deering Goodtime Special would be my first choice; I've also seen used Deering Bostons selling for $600-800 - got the tenor version myself and not only does it amplify well, it's got more acoustic volume than any sane person is likely to need. FYI, you don't need to look specifically for a "lefty" 4-string - just have your tech recut the nut slots and reverse the bridge (about a 10-15 minute job), and use a silver Sharpie pen to paint dots at the appropriate fret positions (done right it looks like MOP inlay) - so you might be able to save a whole lot of cash this way, and when/if you decide to sell you've got a much wider market...
Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 PM

Never thought about using a silver sharpie! What a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Deering Goodtime Special would be my first choice; I've also seen used Deering Bostons selling for $600-800 - got the tenor version myself and not only does it amplify well, it's got more acoustic volume than any sane person is likely to need. FYI, you don't need to look specifically for a "lefty" 4-string - just have your tech recut the nut slots and reverse the bridge (about a 10-15 minute job), and use a silver Sharpie pen to paint dots at the appropriate fret positions (done right it looks like MOP inlay) - so you might be able to save a whole lot of cash this way, and when/if you decide to sell you've got a much wider market...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments