The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-07-2015, 12:53 PM

Default I Chose a Kottke Song to Learn Slide--NOT THAT BAD! TRY IT.

Hey All,

I thought I would post something that seems to be working out.

I never picked up a slide before. I did 2 weeks ago. It's been tough but it keeps my interest.

I tried my hand at playing Kottke's, Sailor's Grave on the Prairie. I tuned down to an open Eb/D# (think DADF#AD but half step up).

While I'm not Leo and have a ways to go, it's going great! And I encourage others to try it. After about a week with it I can emulate a semblance of the song that is listenable but choppy. The takeaway for others here though is that not only was it not that bad, but it has a nice slow major note melody that allows me to focus on my new slide technique--especially on the high e and B strings--which are super hard for me.

If you have a solid boom-chuck or Travis thing down and are looking to try some slide, I recommend it! Hopefully I can get it nice and clean soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write